Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: jumping to dslr advice

  1. #1

    Default jumping to dslr advice

    Hi Guys,

    I'm a fan of Lumix FZ-30 and now considering to jump into the dlsr bandwagon as primary cam. I'm eyeing on the 400D because I'm also a fan of Canon . I'm looking around at the forums and people mentioned that the kit lens with 400D is not good. How true is this? I also noticed that people recommends the 28-200mm lens? Can I upgrade the kit lens on the spot upon purchase?

    Btw, I like shooting landscapes.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I'm a fan of Lumix FZ-30 and now considering to jump into the dlsr bandwagon as primary cam. I'm eyeing on the 400D because I'm also a fan of Canon . I'm looking around at the forums and people mentioned that the kit lens with 400D is not good. How true is this? I also noticed that people recommends the 28-200mm lens? Can I upgrade the kit lens on the spot upon purchase?

    Btw, I like shooting landscapes.

    Thanks.
    You can buy kit and sell the lens. I don't think can upgrade on the spot when purchase. If you don't mind 2nd, look around at B/S forum.

    For landscape, people prefer wide angle lens. 28mm will become 44.8mm in Canon 400D (Field of View). It is consider not wide enough for landscape.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    as mentioned by Artosoft above

    you need to take into account the crop factor that the sensor has

    so for landscapes a nice 12-24 would be just nice

  4. #4

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    The thing is I want a bit of versality so I'm eyeing on the 18mm-135mm lens. Any idea on how much it will cost? Any idea which one cheaper..

    1. 400D + 18-135mm lens
    2. D80 kit (comes with 18-135mm)

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    canon got no 18-135mm. actually u shld look into wat lense u wan then buy into the system. not buy canon cos u like canon.
    Last edited by azonic; 30th January 2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    Anyone can share how much roughly the 10-22 lens? And can I buy the 400D body only? Because been looking at the threads and the recommendation for landscape photography is 10-22mm and 28-105mm. I think I'll follow this track.

    Thanks.

  7. #7

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    Have you read the very first sticky on this forum category? It's called:

    DSLR newbie guide + Product/Price/Outlet List

    You'll find your answers there...

  8. #8

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Anyone can share how much roughly the 10-22 lens? And can I buy the 400D body only? Because been looking at the threads and the recommendation for landscape photography is 10-22mm and 28-105mm. I think I'll follow this track.

    Thanks.
    a 10-22 is good for landscapes. 28 end is just not wide enough in my opinion. you wont be able to get those dramatic skies with 28mm. rather, the 28-105 (or even the 24-70 or 28-135) is more for nice walk about lens.

    10-22 goes for slightly more then a grand now, really sharp glass if you ask me. =)

  9. #9

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Have you read the very first sticky on this forum category? It's called:

    DSLR newbie guide + Product/Price/Outlet List

    You'll find your answers there...
    Yup, read that but no 10-22mm.. anyways I found the price from Oracle's thread..

    Thanks all!

  10. #10

    Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I'm a fan of Lumix FZ-30 and now considering to jump into the dlsr bandwagon as primary cam. I'm eyeing on the 400D because I'm also a fan of Canon . I'm looking around at the forums and people mentioned that the kit lens with 400D is not good. How true is this? I also noticed that people recommends the 28-200mm lens? Can I upgrade the kit lens on the spot upon purchase?

    Btw, I like shooting landscapes.

    Thanks.
    If you like landscape only... 17/18 - 50mm lens. If you like tele too... 18-200mm (travel lens)

    You can't upgrade like a computer. Either you get the body and the lens separately. BUT you can try... you might be the first...
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •