Thread: jumping to dslr advice

Default jumping to dslr advice

Hi Guys,

I'm a fan of Lumix FZ-30 and now considering to jump into the dlsr bandwagon as primary cam. I'm eyeing on the 400D because I'm also a fan of Canon . I'm looking around at the forums and people mentioned that the kit lens with 400D is not good. How true is this? I also noticed that people recommends the 28-200mm lens? Can I upgrade the kit lens on the spot upon purchase?

Btw, I like shooting landscapes.

Thanks.

Default Re: jumping to dslr advice

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm a fan of Lumix FZ-30 and now considering to jump into the dlsr bandwagon as primary cam. I'm eyeing on the 400D because I'm also a fan of Canon . I'm looking around at the forums and people mentioned that the kit lens with 400D is not good. How true is this? I also noticed that people recommends the 28-200mm lens? Can I upgrade the kit lens on the spot upon purchase?

Thanks.
    You can buy kit and sell the lens. I don't think can upgrade on the spot when purchase. If you don't mind 2nd, look around at B/S forum.

For landscape, people prefer wide angle lens. 28mm will become 44.8mm in Canon 400D (Field of View). It is consider not wide enough for landscape.

Regards,
    Arto.

Blog Entries

as mentioned by Artosoft above

you need to take into account the crop factor that the sensor has

so for landscapes a nice 12-24 would be just nice

The thing is I want a bit of versality so I'm eyeing on the 18mm-135mm lens. Any idea on how much it will cost? Any idea which one cheaper..

1. 400D + 18-135mm lens
    2. D80 kit (comes with 18-135mm)

Thanks.

canon got no 18-135mm. actually u shld look into wat lense u wan then buy into the system. not buy canon cos u like canon.
    Last edited by azonic; 30th January 2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

Anyone can share how much roughly the 10-22 lens? And can I buy the 400D body only? Because been looking at the threads and the recommendation for landscape photography is 10-22mm and 28-105mm. I think I'll follow this track.

Thanks.

Have you read the very first sticky on this forum category? It's called:

DSLR newbie guide + Product/Price/Outlet List

You'll find your answers there...

Anyone can share how much roughly the 10-22 lens? And can I buy the 400D body only? Because been looking at the threads and the recommendation for landscape photography is 10-22mm and 28-105mm. I think I'll follow this track.

Thanks.
    a 10-22 is good for landscapes. 28 end is just not wide enough in my opinion. you wont be able to get those dramatic skies with 28mm. rather, the 28-105 (or even the 24-70 or 28-135) is more for nice walk about lens.

10-22 goes for slightly more then a grand now, really sharp glass if you ask me. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Have you read the very first sticky on this forum category? It's called:

DSLR newbie guide + Product/Price/Outlet List

You'll find your answers there...
    Yup, read that but no 10-22mm.. anyways I found the price from Oracle's thread..

Thanks all!

Hi Guys,

Thanks.
    If you like landscape only... 17/18 - 50mm lens. If you like tele too... 18-200mm (travel lens)

You can't upgrade like a computer. Either you get the body and the lens separately. BUT you can try... you might be the first...
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).