Thread: How effective is VR or IS lens shooting at Benjamin Sheares Bridge

Default How effective is VR or IS lens shooting at Benjamin Sheares Bridge

Just asking out of curiosity.

Went to Benjamin Sheares Bridge to shoot some night scenery of the CBD with my kit lens 18-70mm. Was not happy with the results as the shots turn out to be blurred ( to some degree) due to the substantial vibration on the bridge.

Has anyone tried shooting the night scene on the Benjamin Sheares bridge with VR/IS lens with tripod setup ? How effective is the VR/IS mode ? Can it eliminate the vibration blur totally ?

( I do not own any VR lens. )

Default Re: How effective is VR or IS lens shooting at Benjamin Sheares Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by BUZ_BUZ View Post
    Can it eliminate the vibration blur totally ?
    VR/IS lens does not help in long exposure. My advice is wait for less traffic or traffic jam.

Went to Benjamin Sheares Bridge to shoot some night scenery of the CBD with my kit lens 18-70mm. Was not happy with the results as the shots turn out to be blurred ( to some degree) due to the substantial vibration on the bridge.

Has anyone tried shooting the night scene on the Benjamin Sheares bridge with VR/IS lens with tripod setup ? How effective is the VR/IS mode ? Can it eliminate the vibration blur totally ?

guess it depends a lot on where you are standing... i don get much (if not any) vibration shake when shooting fireworks... maybe because im not rite in the center of the bridge.

examples - exposure was 7s
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 29th January 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    VR/IS lens does not help in long exposure. My advice is wait for less traffic or traffic jam.
    Thanks alot Megaweb .

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    guess it depends a lot on where you are standing... i don get much (if not any) vibration shake when shooting fireworks... maybe because im not rite in the center of the bridge.

examples - exposure was 7s
    Thanks. Beautiful shot you have there.

good heavy tripod will make a difference. also - if ur tripod has a hook - did u weigh it down. other things to try are cable release, and MLU.

ive taken decent enough pictures with kit lens and a benro tripod. never had any problems with vibration. u dont really need an IS/ VR lens.

Some times ago, I had took photos at middle of the bridge and moderate traffic. No problem.
    Also using a cheap light weight tripod and no problem too.

Are you using cable release or timer?

Thanks jdredd & dominator .

IIRC, I was there on a week day evening, around 7pm to 8pm, the traffic on the bridge was quite heavy, with heavy vehicle frequently driving pass.

Tripod wise I don't think got any problem as I using Manfrotto 190Pro, relatively heavy and is quite stable.
    I didn't use a cable release or remote trigger though.

I've tried a few aperture setting from f/5.6 to f/16, with exposure time from 5sec to 20sec.
    Those shot with 5sec exposure are not too bad ( acceptable ) but those around 20sec. are badly ruin by the vibration.

Guess I would got back another time with lighter traffic to try out again. Thanks.

I didn't use a cable release or remote trigger though.
    This is most probably the cause of your blur photos. The vibration was introduced to your rig when you press the shutter release. Try using timer if you do not have a shutter release cable.

I am using Minolta 7D with anti shake.
    However using tripod eliminate the need for anti shake function.
    So I guess having a VR does not matter if you are going to use tripod.

I also think having a remote release or using timer release will help alot too.

My shot was taken at 30 secs exposure... and heavily PSed using photoshop.

Example

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    This is most probably the cause of your blur photos. The vibration was introduced to your rig when you press the shutter release. Try using timer if you do not have a shutter release cable.
    While this is true to a certain extent, this is clearly not the issue here as his 5 second shots are clearer than the 20 seconds shot. The temporal shake when pressing the shutter in a 20 second shot will hardly show in an image. It will show however, when the images are in the 1/10s-2 s range.

If a 20 second shot is blurred, either the ground is unstable, or there is substantial wind buffeting.

Still I am an advocate of using the timer for anything slower than 1/60s to 5 seconds. Those abv 5 seconds, dont think u need to.