Thread: Manfrotto Ballhead 488RC2

Default Manfrotto Ballhead 488RC2

I am using this ballhead (488RC2) because it has the capability to pan.

I tried to center my camera using a 2-axis spirit level and then pan the ball head because I wanted to take panaromic picture.

I noticed that after some 90 or more degree of panning (rotation), I noticed that the ball head starts to "unlevel". Is this normal?

Default Re: Manfrotto Ballhead 488RC2

For panaromic pictures, Its best to get a Manfrotto 338 levelling base that fit btw tripod and head so that you use it to adjust fine adjustment up to 5 degree. Nothing is wrong with you ballhead it is just that "human error" in thinking that your set up is level but it is actually not. Note that you must level your set up whenever you rotate/pan your shot.

Quote Originally Posted by koayst View Post
    I am using this ballhead (488RC2) because it has the capability to pan.

I tried to center my camera using a 2-axis spirit level and then pan the ball head because I wanted to take panaromic picture.

I noticed that after some 90 or more degree of panning (rotation), I noticed that the ball head starts to "unlevel". Is this normal?
    your tripod gonna be leveled as well as your tripod head and camera... theres why some tripod have built-in spirit level.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenep View Post
    For panaromic pictures, Its best to get a Manfrotto 338 levelling base that fit btw tripod and head so that you use it to adjust fine adjustment up to 5 degree. Nothing is wrong with you ballhead it is just that "human error" in thinking that your set up is level but it is actually not. Note that you must level your set up whenever you rotate/pan your shot.

Do I still need to level my setup whenever I rotate and pan even when I have the Manfrotto 338 levelling base?

Is there a better way to solve the "off-center" problem of panning rather than buying expensive equipment?

1. The levelling base will level your tripod so that when you pan your tripod head it will not give you any problem. what explorerz said is right. you need to level both your tripod and the tripod head plus camera.

2. You could try to level your tripod first with a spirit level than you mount your tripodhead on it.

3. Try using a 3 way pan head for panaromic shot its easier than ball head. A good and easy 3 way pan head will be manfrotto 329rc4 it allows you to align the camera pertectly and painlessly for panoramic shots as it has 3 spirit levels on it. one for tripod and two for the tripod head.