Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    Since the number of factors attributing to a good photo is pretty diverse, basically I'd cut it to 4 major factors:

    - Technical (which means ur knowledge of aperture, shutter, ISO, their relationship & their appropriate usage)
    - Skill (which means compositional abilities)
    - Luck (of being at the right place @ right time or that lucky shot after machine gunning ur way thru)
    - Equipment (you know)

    I'd personally attribute the factors to a good photo to the following ratio:
    10% equipment, 20% technical, 60% skill, 10% luck

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    i attribute 100% to fate... wu yuan, bo yuan...

    if its yours, its yours, if its not yours, no matter how also not yours...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Since the number of factors attributing to a good photo is pretty diverse, basically I'd cut it to 4 major factors:

    - Technical (which means ur knowledge of aperture, shutter, ISO, their relationship & their appropriate usage)
    - Skill (which means compositional abilities)
    - Luck (of being at the right place @ right time or that lucky shot after machine gunning ur way thru)
    - Equipment (you know)

    I'd personally attribute the factors to a good photo to the following ratio:
    10% equipment, 20% technical, 60% skill, 10% luck
    If you equate luck = opportunities, then my equation is:

    1. 90% Luck
    2. 9% skill (+ technical)
    3. 1% equipment
    always the Light, .... always.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    Most of the luck should be channeled thru Skill. Preparation work is a skill. Preparation is actually luck in progress. Lucky Luck should be 10% of luck, and preparation the other 90% of it.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  5. #5

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort Minor - Remember The Name
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
    While this is from the lyrics of a song, I think it is quite applicable!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    1% equipment/skill/technical, 99% luck.. just buy the fastest and most expensive camera out there with 8 or 12fps..(eqpt), then know who to use it (technical) and look professional in it (skill, acting skill) then whack rapid fire MG style. that's where 90% luck comes in and "I hope I got the shot."

    1 event if whack 15K shots I think should be able to churn out 500 'ok' pics I guess
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    No leh, keepers only around 10-20% of shots leh, unless you are very careful. (Remembering my Film days) ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i attribute 100% to fate... wu yuan, bo yuan...

    if its yours, its yours, if its not yours, no matter how also not yours...
    Good planning e.g. a subtle hint of breast always makes a good photograph.

  9. #9

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Since the number of factors attributing to a good photo is pretty diverse, basically I'd cut it to 4 major factors:

    - Technical (which means ur knowledge of aperture, shutter, ISO, their relationship & their appropriate usage)
    - Skill (which means compositional abilities)
    - Luck (of being at the right place @ right time or that lucky shot after machine gunning ur way thru)
    - Equipment (you know)

    I'd personally attribute the factors to a good photo to the following ratio:
    10% equipment, 20% technical, 60% skill, 10% luck
    Want a keeper, you need technique and skill.

    Want a keeper that other CSer would rave, you need technique, skill and equipment.

    Want those that can win award, and make your name resound through the ages, you only need luck. To be where the action is, the equipment to take it, and the presence of mind to compose and make settings.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by daggerrr View Post
    Want a keeper, you need technique and skill.

    Want a keeper that other CSer would rave, you need technique, skill and equipment.

    Want those that can win award, and make your name resound through the ages, you only need luck. To be where the action is, the equipment to take it, and the presence of mind to compose and make settings.
    Den I must be damn low on the luck factor.

    Joined so many, won nuts. But help ppl to win, quite a number of times.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    after reading a few more posts.. i changed my mind.. i think all one needs is 100% luck.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    light is 100% important

    a great photo with lousy light looks lousy and dull
    while a lousy subject with great light will look nice

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    light is 100% important

    a great photo with lousy light looks lousy and dull
    while a lousy subject with great light will look nice
    the force is strong with this one...

    give this man a lightsabre...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14

    Default Re: A good Photograh, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    1% equipment/skill/technical, 99% luck.. just buy the fastest and most expensive camera out there with 8 or 12fps..(eqpt), then know who to use it (technical) and look professional in it (skill, acting skill) then whack rapid fire MG style. that's where 90% luck comes in and "I hope I got the shot."

    1 event if whack 15K shots I think should be able to churn out 500 'ok' pics I guess
    Your camera will die super fast... And your flashes too...

  15. #15

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    80% skill
    20% equipment

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    my technical and skill are lousy , so >70% is luck, 15% equipment.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    i say 30% equipment, 50% luck, 20% oppounity

    better equipments makes it easier for u to achieve a good photo

    Luck is a must.. no luck u see the thing u raise ur camera and piak battery flat

    oppounity is the open gap where u can stick ur lens thru and take a shot

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    light is 100% important

    a great photo with lousy light looks lousy and dull
    while a lousy subject with great light will look nice
    Have you tried a naked model in lousy light or not?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    缘分到了, 挡也挡不了

    when it comes, it comes

  20. #20

    Default Re: A good Photograph, what do u attribute it to?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    i say 30% equipment, 50% luck, 20% oppounity
    skills ... 0%?.....
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •