Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: SMRT make $40.0m profits

  1. #21

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    Is 40 million a lot? Lets say there is 500k passengers who take 2 trips a day. So 1million trips a day. 360 million trips a year. So SMRT makes around 11 cents per trip.
    Think about it.
    I have thought hard about it, and concluded that wool still comes from the sheep.

    11 Cents profit may not sound a lot. Numbers do not lie but the ways it is put forward to the mass can be very deceptive.
    I am paying $1.60 per trip + $0.50 feeder service = $2.10 per trip x 2 for return = $4.20 per day. I earn $50 per day after tax and CPF deduction. The transportation cost is 8.4% of my salary. This figure has not taken into account additional trips done over the weekends and on leisure.

    Privatizing a public service is not always a good thing. For example, if we privatize our power supply service and get a second provider, we, the consumer, might end up paying more. The capital outlay is huge and the over capacity of the power plant will eventually translate into cost and it will be passed on to you and me. The separation and re-meager of our media industry is a good example of such failure. Does it make economical sense to have two authorities to run SMRT and the NorthEast line separately? Both have the same nature of business and serving the public in our 70 km sq of land. How many positions are duplicated in these two offices? Does it increase operating costs?



    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    The problem with non-profit companies is that people running it tends to be less efficient as there is no incentive to cut cost. In the end, you might have to pay MORE for your MRT rides, either through increased fare or taxes used to keep SMRT afloat.
    .
    After privatizing, I have not seen anything but fare increase.
    Cost cutting is essential to all businesses, but so far have you seen any cost cutting measures from them? I guess not! What I see and hear so far is operating costs are raising and fares have to increase to keep pace.
    Ohh! I almost forget to mention, all the non profitable routes are already taken off service at the expense of commuters. That is reality of privatizing a public service company, the bottom line of a private company is still the profit margin. So is this good or bad?
    If you live in the rural area and the power company finds that there are no benefits to lay power cable to you and your few neighbors. Therefore you will have to live in darkness and without electricity, what would you say?
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 28th January 2007 at 03:30 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Public transport makes profits. How stupid.
    Who stupid? The people or the Elites?

  3. #23

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Will this thread be locked?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Any enterprise with rolling stock needs profits. In order to have money to do replacement of the rolling stock.
    Ask any tranportation industry guy and you will know.

    Actually they are indirectly subsidised already.
    They only operate the mrt trains.

    Before the trains can move, someone got to dig the tunnels and lay the tracks and build the stations. That is where the big money is spent.

  5. #25

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Will this thread be locked?
    as long as it's a healthy discussion.... why should it be locked

  6. #26

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm The One View Post
    as long as it's a healthy discussion.... why should it be locked
    It is not healthy as long it involves politics, and I think this thread is heading that direction.

  7. #27

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Any enterprise with rolling stock needs profits. In order to have money to do replacement of the rolling stock.
    Ask any tranportation industry guy and you will know.

    Actually they are indirectly subsidised already.
    They only operate the mrt trains.

    Before the trains can move, someone got to dig the tunnels and lay the tracks and build the stations. That is where the big money is spent.
    I think you are correct, the government pays for the infrastructures.
    And we pay the government to pay for the infrastructures.
    Now the operator charges us at a profit for using the service and infrastructures we paid for.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    rebates ! i want my rebates... !
    invest invest! i want to invest!!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Any enterprise with rolling stock needs profits. In order to have money to do replacement of the rolling stock.
    Ask any tranportation industry guy and you will know.

    Actually they are indirectly subsidised already.
    They only operate the mrt trains.

    Before the trains can move, someone got to dig the tunnels and lay the tracks and build the stations. That is where the big money is spent.
    Well, it's been around 20yrs since (late 1987) the SMRT started operation. So have they cover back all these $$ which have been spend? If not, where they get those $$ to upgrade some of the trains few years back? Don't tell me after they upgrade, fare increase again?
    Last edited by Spectrum; 29th January 2007 at 01:55 AM.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Go invest in some SMRT shares, make some money and recover some of your transport cost.

    If you read their annual reports, they have other businesses that contributed to the total revenue.

  11. #31

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Well, it's been around 20yrs since (late 1987) the SMRT started operation. So have they cover back all these $$ which have been spend? If not, where they get those $$ to upgrade some of the trains few years back? Don't tell me after they upgrade, fare increase again?
    I can't say for sure if the 40m profit can be 'justified'.

    But I would like to point out that infrastructure expenditure is not just a once-off payment. Maintenance is required to keep them in good condition, and this would probably form a large part of their costs.

    IIRC, the new trains aren't really "upgrades", but replacements for the older ones which are nearing/gone past their useful economic life.

  12. #32

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Oh yes and dont forget that the new trains are now so much more efficent. Less seats so that there is more standing room which means more people can be squeezed into each train without increasing frequency of trains.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    In any economy there is a basic set of necessities which needs enough economies of scale in order to produce. These are usually provided by the state as public goods. Public transport can be one of them and education is another. The goal of these public companies is to make efficient use of public funds (collected via taxes, etc) to provide these public goods.

    In our case, the public transport system has been privatised. So technically they are private transport. Same as taxis and private buses. And private companies are profit oriented. Period.

    It is debatable whether basic transportation should be made public or private. If its public, it risk inefficiencies in allocating the public funds. If privatised, it aims to maximise profits.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    those profits should b spent on automated screen doors man. 1 person jumping d tracks = loss of $$ due 2 disruption of train services.

    they should come out w/ a slogan: "life is precious. u jump on d tracks, i loose $$!".

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    In any economy there is a basic set of necessities which needs enough economies of scale in order to produce. These are usually provided by the state as public goods. Public transport can be one of them and education is another. The goal of these public companies is to make efficient use of public funds (collected via taxes, etc) to provide these public goods.

    In our case, the public transport system has been privatised. So technically they are private transport. Same as taxis and private buses. And private companies are profit oriented. Period.

    It is debatable whether basic transportation should be made public or private. If its public, it risk inefficiencies in allocating the public funds. If privatised, it aims to maximise profits.

    i thot to make more profits, they need to satisify customers?

    if customers not happy with long waiting time, packed bus and trains, fare hike, how how?

  16. #36
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    i thot to make more profits, they need to satisify customers?

    if customers not happy with long waiting time, packed bus and trains, fare hike, how how?
    in this sense... the customers dun haf much choices, do they?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •