Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMRT make $40.0m profits

Default SMRT make $40.0m profits

I can still remember a few months ago that they said they were losing a lot of monies therefore need to increase the fare and now
    Last edited by I'm The One; 27th January 2007 at 05:43 PM.

Default Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

I tink you mixed SMRT wif SBS.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

rebates ! i want my rebates... !

Big companies if they do not meet their Profit margins is considered LOSS to them.

Everytime they give excuse of dropping profits to raise charges. Next thing you know made lots of profits...

Public transport makes profits. How stupid.

if the pubic transport conpanies did not make profit, how do they pay our revered bus / train captains and to maintain the hardware. Worse, they will start to hire foreign labourer to pilot our advanced vehicles or even delay or put off the servicing . Would u put your hard-earned life into these unsteady hands and unsafe pubic transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    if the pubic transport conpanies did not make profit, how do they pay our revered bus / train captains and to maintain the hardware. Worse, they will start to hire foreign labourer to pilot our advanced vehicles or even delay or put off the servicing . Would u put your hard-earned life into these unsteady hands and unsafe pubic transport.
    ummm... that should be incurred in operating cost...profits are after deducting such costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    In SBS/SMRT/TIBS are all called private company.

Well, it may be the case that there are more super scale employees that they need to pay. Perhaps more bonus if more profit can digged from the people at the expense of you, me and everyone else.

But, can you look at how dirty most public transport buses are? Seems like no maintenance at all for years already esp. the interior. Smells like sh!t holes too.
    Of course earn big $$ lar. Cut cost to this extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Kirin View Post
    Well, it may be the case that there are more super scale employees that they need to pay. Perhaps more bonus if more profit can digged from the people at the expense of you, me and everyone else.
    Great, let's all boycott Kraft, Nabisco and every processed food company in the world.. =D

It's a company.

What do you expect? A charity? (Ironic question to some of you, maybe, in view of the recent Youth Challenge fiasco) =D

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    In SBS/SMRT/TIBS are all called private company.
    They are called privatised companies

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Kirin View Post

This reminds me of our neighbours whose corp are run this way. They have a posse of directors on board and they get paid for doing nothing apart from attending meaningless meetings and lending their names for goodwill.

Then the co says they are not making $ due to increase cost of materials and start to raise prices.

join them
    be a shareholder

Is 40 million a lot? Lets say there is 500k passengers who take 2 trips a day. So 1million trips a day. 360 million trips a year. So SMRT makes around 11 cents per trip.

SMRT it is a PRIVATE company. It will be more effecient than state-run companies. The problem with non-profit companies is that people running it tends to be less efficient as there is no incentive to cut cost. In the end, you might have to pay MORE for your MRT rides, either through increased fare or taxes used to keep SMRT afloat.

Think about it.

Thumbs up Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

be a shareholder.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Smile Re: SMRT make $40.0m profits

it will be instructive to look at their financial accounts and notes. see where the 40m comes from or its contributing sources?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    it will be instructive to look at their financial accounts and notes. see where the 40m comes from or its contributing sources?
    Who can do that?

Your reasoning is not convincing at all.
    At least 40% of the drivers are foreigner. Their cheap labour contributes heavily to the profits.
    All non profitable routes have been taken off service. The convenience of mass commuters is sacrifice for the sake of profit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast