Thread: advice needed for circular polariser

Default advice needed for circular polariser

Hi all,

I recently got a circular polarizer. I had intended to fix it on top of my 72mm UV filter (Hoya Pro 1 Digital), but realised that there is no thread marks for me to add it on.

So whenever a situation calls for the use of the cir-polariser, eg. taking shots of objects through glass panels, through car windows, I have to take out my Hoya filter and put in the cir-polariser.

But I have to take out the cir-polariser again at low light situations as it absorbs 1.5 to 2 stops of light.

This constant exchanging of lens is rather bothering me, and too much of a hassle, but most importantly, I tend to miss shots due to this technical irritation. So I will like to poll you all guys how you all handle the above situation as outlined. I plan to ditch my Hoya 72mm UV filter, and get a normal Hoya with threads on, so at least I don't have to take in take out all the time. any comments?

Default Re: advice needed for circular polariser

Test it first and check for Vignetting (thru out the zoom range)- dark corners/ring at edge of image.
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).

People don't use polarisers and UV filters together.

u already said it...its the best solution I can think of. Usually if u want better result, get the protection glass away. If not u can get those square filters that u can put in front of whatever filters u want.

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam View Post
    People don't use polarisers and UV filters together.
    and what is the main reason for that?
    vignetting?

Any other reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertzy View Post
    This constant exchanging of lens is rather bothering me, and too much of a hassle, but most importantly, I tend to miss shots due to this technical irritation. any comments?
    With all due respect. Are you sure photography is the right hobby for you? What you are describing is something we all who took up this hobby has come to expect, gotten use to, took the trouble to read tips when, why and how to use those filters. If you hardly get any respond to your need to seek advice...just reading the mentality you have over the bothersome of using filters. Who would take the trouble to really explain things in more detail to you as you also need to put in the effort to want to learn. If you actually did a search just from within clubsnap's past forum subject, you find a wealth of info on how to use filters like the Cir-Pol..etc..including myself. No offense.

Hi sammy, indeed there's wealth of information in this forum. Why else am I spending so much time here?

But as to my request, I find it sufficiently fair, firstly, to ask for comments to a situation I described, and not a point-blank question involving "what is this? what is that?", and secondly, in a newbie corner where one is supposed to feel more at ease among the true pros and elites (like yourself) despite his obvious lack of knowledge. Had already done my search, admittedly a cursory one, and found no suitable answers to my concerns.

It's true I find filter changing a hassle. If possible, I want to do away with filters/lens changing once and for all. A point-n-shoot is my dream camera. But, if you seriously enjoy dealing with the intricacies of equipment and swapping them around, by all means.
    Last edited by qwertzy; 28th January 2007 at 09:21 AM.

Hi sammy, indeed there's wealth of information in this forum. Why else am I spending so much time here?

But as to my request, I find it sufficiently fair, firstly, to ask for comments to a situation I described, and not a point-blank question involving "what is this? what is that?", and secondly, in a newbie corner where one is supposed to feel more at ease among the true pros and elites (like yourself) despite his obvious lack of knowledge. Had already done my search, admittedly a cursory one, and found no suitable answers to my concerns.

It's true I find filter changing a hassle. If possible, I want to do away with filters/lens changing once and for all. A point-n-shoot is my dream camera. But, if you seriously enjoy dealing with the intricacies of equipment and swapping them around, by all means.
    simple, if you hate to change filter often, don't use any filter... else live with it. I know many friends who are like this.

and what is the main reason for that?
    vignetting?

Any other reasons?
    vignetting, and also higher chance of flaring and internal reflections, and every extra layer you stack in front, the possibility of degradation of quality of image increases...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    vignetting, and also higher chance of flaring and internal reflections, and every extra layer you stack in front, the possibility of degradation of quality of image increases...
    thanks for your reply.

Can anyone rank the following Hoya circular filters in terms of light absorption and performance and price?

Hoya standard

Hoya Pro 1

Hoya Pro 1 Digital

Hoya Ultra

Super Hoya SMC

Hoya HMC

thanks for your reply.

Can anyone rank the following Hoya circular filters in terms of light absorption and performance and price?

Hoya standard

Hoya Pro 1

Hoya Pro 1 Digital

Hoya Ultra

Super Hoya SMC

Hoya HMC
    quality wise: basically hoya filter are classified into 3 main coating only(4 if you consider normal coating)
    1. Super HMC
    2. HMC
    3. Standard or no-coating.

iirc all the "pro1"... etc just mean that the filter are slim version of the normal 1

Hi all,

I recently got a circular polarizer. I had intended to fix it on top of my 72mm UV filter (Hoya Pro 1 Digital), but realised that there is no thread marks for me to add it on.

So whenever a situation calls for the use of the cir-polariser, eg. taking shots of objects through glass panels, through car windows, I have to take out my Hoya filter and put in the cir-polariser.

But I have to take out the cir-polariser again at low light situations as it absorbs 1.5 to 2 stops of light.

This constant exchanging of lens is rather bothering me, and too much of a hassle, but most importantly, I tend to miss shots due to this technical irritation. So I will like to poll you all guys how you all handle the above situation as outlined. I plan to ditch my Hoya 72mm UV filter, and get a normal Hoya with threads on, so at least I don't have to take in take out all the time. any comments?
    You mean if you have a UV filter with thread, and then put the Cir-Pol on. In low light, you no need to take out the poloriser? You still have to what. So what's the diff?
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    You mean if you have a UV filter with thread, and then put the Cir-Pol on. In low light, you no need to take out the poloriser? You still have to what. So what's the diff?
    different is don have to screw back the UV lor.

thanks for your reply.

Hoya standard

Hoya Pro 1

Hoya Pro 1 Digital

Hoya Ultra

Super Hoya SMC

Hoya HMC
    Why must Hoya? Another brand may as good as (if not better than) Hoya. For example Nikon Circular-Polarizer or B+W Circular-Polarizer.

Regards,
    Arto.

Has anyone use Hoya polariser with the scale before. I bought one for my Nikon 18-200.
    But I don't know how to use it. There's + and - if you turn to the left and right.
    Tried to turn it but doesn't seem any difference?? Please help...

Use the camera, look at the reflection on your glass window pane, turn and see got difference or not.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Why must Hoya? Another brand may as good as (if not better than) Hoya. For example Nikon Circular-Polarizer or B+W Circular-Polarizer.

Regards,
    Arto.

dare i say the best value for money?

Better as in less light stops absorbed?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Use the camera, look at the reflection on your glass window pane, turn and see got difference or not.
    Usually I used white reflection on leafs. Turn polarizer until no white reflection on leafs.

Regards,
    Arto.

dare i say the best value for money?

Better as in less light stops absorbed?
    There's always a reason why people are still buying B+W even though they are like double the price.
    APAD | Blog