Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make my computer run slower?

Default Re: How to make my computer run slower?

If laptops were designed to be only run by plugging them into power then Windows would not have a power save function.

Also laptop designers probably would not develop power step in the CPU's.

PC's are not designed to run off batteries and so is the reverse of laptops reguards power.

If you are SO worried of the power your PC is using... much is done by the monitor (if it is CRT type).

So, when not actually having to see nothing happening but rather check once every 30 minutes, turn it off.

Now you have a counter action

Simply turning your monitor on draws a rather large ammount of power (probably as much as saved by turning it off for 30 min).

So, unless you check every killowatt of power you use per month

and adjust the temperature setting of your refrigerator daily to match the outside temperature .......
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    i cant really do much becos mine is already at a minimum... one processor, one harddisk, one dvd rom drive, one motherboard, one ram, one graphic card, no diskette drive, no cd drive, no sound card only integrated one, USB device only keyboard and mouse, no card reader attached, no bluetooth. one monitor... thats all.... nothing for me to remove at all..
    How much do you think you can save? Why do you not switch it off at night? If you are sleeping why not just switch off your PC and switch it back on. Just one click away and one finger to press the button to switch it on..or you trying to save muscle power too? heheheh... you are with the bare minimum system setup as it is...apart from some power saving features that are built into your motherboard's cmos or what XP has in the screen and hardware property setting...anymore control of shutting down parts of your pc will basic power it down so low, it will not be able to power them back up when you need them.

If you are too far from your PC at night to switch it off, there are some free s/w which lets you automatically switch your system down at specific time.

bro...you need to get out and indulge in photography more. heheheheheh....you are starting to scare me about penny pinching to this extend LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    If laptops were designed to be only run by plugging them into power then Windows would not have a power save function.

Also laptop designers probably would not develop power step in the CPU's.

PC's are not designed to run off batteries and so is the reverse of laptops reguards power.

If you are SO worried of the power your PC is using... much is done by the monitor (if it is CRT type).

So, when not actually having to see nothing happening but rather check once every 30 minutes, turn it off.

Now you have a counter action

Simply turning your monitor on draws a rather large ammount of power (probably as much as saved by turning it off for 30 min).

So, unless you check every killowatt of power you use per month

and adjust the temperature setting of your refrigerator daily to match the outside temperature .......
    ok alrite, thanks peeps for the help, i guess i will just live with it and tweak around more with my monitor...

As for "adjust the temperature setting of your refrigerator daily to match the outside temperature" i highly doubt i can do this in singapore... all my food will be dead after a day at 34 degrees celcius ...
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    How much do you think you can save? Why do you not switch it off at night? If you are sleeping why not just switch off your PC and switch it back on. Just one click away and one finger to press the button to switch it on..or you trying to save muscle power too? heheheh... you are with the bare minimum system setup as it is...apart from some power saving features that are built into your motherboard's cmos or what XP has in the screen and hardware property setting...anymore control of shutting down parts of your pc will basic power it down so low, it will not be able to power them back up when you need them.

If you are too far from your PC at night to switch it off, there are some free s/w which lets you automatically switch your system down at specific time.

bro...you need to get out and indulge in photography more. heheheheheh....you are starting to scare me about penny pinching to this extend LOL.
    Aiya, of course i can switch off the computer and monitor la

i m a good citizen k... i listen to our govt to save energy

switching off the monitor can... but off the cpu hard leh... becos a lot of overnite downloading... k la i try to see wat i can do hahaha..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

ok alrite, thanks peeps for the help, i guess i will just live with it and tweak around more with my monitor...

As for "adjust the temperature setting of your refrigerator daily to match the outside temperature" i highly doubt i can do this in singapore... all my food will be dead after a day at 34 degrees celcius ...
    if you ain't doing anything at nite, best would be switch off (i use hibernate instead), else if possible, use a laptop to do the task instead... laptop power consumption are far lower than desktop or even a CRT.

Aiya, of course i can switch off the computer and monitor la

i m a good citizen k... i listen to our govt to save energy

switching off the monitor can... but off the cpu hard leh... becos a lot of overnite downloading... k la i try to see wat i can do hahaha..

heheheh I am downloading tons of mp3 and movies every night too bro...the last thing I want to do is slow my PC down as slowing it down will effect the speed of my download to my system, stablity and the management of the newsgroup program and other s/ws I have activated to merge rar files..etc. I simply switch off my monitor and go to sleep once I have set up all the download and stuff.

Kcuf2, howabout removing unused pc cards from your computer. those not in use but connected to the pci bus still draws power. put hd on spindown & sleep mode if you have the feature. remove casing cover to air cool the pc and remove fans that is not needed ('cos casing is opened). at end of the day, savings may not be significant.

Cure.... don't eat.

Will save on toilet water also.

Just kidding kcuf2.

Here, we have to cut down on water usage mostly because our dams are drying up and we don't get enough rain.

last night (as I have done a few times before) when it did rain (15 minutes) I washed my car in the rain.

We are not allowed to wash it by any other means at present.

It is very different to the days when it was normal to play under the sprinkler in the back yard.

Your concern about saving energy is not a silly one. It all adds up just like the population that requires it does.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12