Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Which one is better, Nikon D100 or Canon 1D?

  1. #1

    Default Which one is better, Nikon D100 or Canon 1D?

    Hi,

    My IN club is planning to buy a digital SLRr. We are stuck between the two models. I am going to be the pivoting vote. So can i see why you choose the model and the reasons.

    Song

  2. #2
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Get Canon 1D...definetely better than D100....
    New D100 with grip price is only half 1D price....
    D100 Vs 1D
    I think that is not a level comparison....
    Canon 1D and Nikon D1x is at same level.
    Canon D60 and Nikon D100 is at the same level.....
    W204FL

  3. #3

    Default

    Originally posted by Knighthunter
    Get Canon 1D...definetely better than D100....
    New D100 with grip price is only half 1D price....
    D100 Vs 1D
    I think that is not a level comparison....
    Canon 1D and Nikon D1x is at same level.
    Canon D60 and Nikon D100 is at the same level.....
    But then how about the legacy of lens after buying the body? WHich brand will give better lens over many generations?

    By the way, how about the dust leakage problem in Canon D1

  4. #4

    Default

    Nikkor vs Canon war coming again?

    If you have lotsa Nikkor gear, go get a Nikon body... and vice versa.

    Go read DPReview and other site if you need reviews.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Originally posted by song


    But then how about the legacy of lens after buying the body? WHich brand will give better lens over many generations?

    By the way, how about the dust leakage problem in Canon D1

    Wah, you are the pivoting vote and you ask TWO major questions..

    1) Comparing bodies (1D and D100??? same league meh?)
    2) Lens...(wonder how many can we buy...)

    Both will have it camp of supporters...

    My questions for you to help him:-
    What does he like to shoot at?
    So do your friend have a budget constrain?
    How many lens he intend to invest to shoot what he want?

  6. #6

    Default

    The camera is meant for covering all event functions at constituency grassroot event. Definately need wide angle that is why thinking of Cannon 1Ds. But then dust problem heard, so in dilemma...

    i have lens now so my club will be building up so if buy wrong body , that would also mean wrong library of lens in future.


    Don't forget, this are community funds and so must be value for money

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by song
    The camera is meant for covering all event functions at constituency grassroot event. Definately need wide angle that is why thinking of Cannon 1Ds. But then dust problem heard, so in dilemma...
    erm... compare oranges to oranges and apples to apples pls... a single 1Ds unit can buy 4 D100 units with accessories to spare. anyway, supposedly Canon has less of a dust problem as compared to Nikon, cos they use CMOS sensors instead of CCD. but D100 is still quite capable for event coverage. i got a D100 coupled with a Sigma 15-30 for events (or a Nikkor 18-35 will do as well).

    if it's community $$$ then i'd suggest looking at the Canon D60 or Nikon D100 range. you don't need high-end pro bodies like D1x or 1D if you're not gonna use it extensively.

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by Larry
    erm... compare oranges to oranges and apples to apples pls... a single 1Ds unit can buy 4 D100 units with accessories to spare. anyway, supposedly Canon has less of a dust problem as compared to Nikon, cos they use CMOS sensors instead of CCD. but D100 is still quite capable for event coverage. i got a D100 coupled with a Sigma 15-30 for events (or a Nikkor 18-35 will do as well).

    if it's community $$$ then i'd suggest looking at the Canon D60 or Nikon D100 range. you don't need high-end pro bodies like D1x or 1D if you're not gonna use it extensively.
    I think he's using 1Ds as the plural of 1D.... reminds of Ckiang's poll what is the plural of 1D I'm sure that if its a 1D, people will be 'borrowing it' very often for personal use in between constituency events so sure to see plenty of use.
    Last edited by erwinx; 21st February 2003 at 02:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Originally posted by Larry

    if it's community $$$ then i'd suggest looking at the Canon D60 or Nikon D100 range. you don't need high-end pro bodies like D1x or 1D if you're not gonna use it extensively. [/B]
    good advice.

    Get a ext. flash to go along with it...a MUST for events shoot!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx
    I think he's using 1Ds as the plural of 1D.... reminds of Ckiang's poll what is the plural of 1D I'm sure that if its a 1D, people will be 'borrowing it' very often for personal use in between constituency events so sure to see plenty of use.
    oh... ok.

    but even then, a single 1D can buy 2 D100 units... a bit wasteful if it's just used for the occasional event and plenty of "personal" use in-between...

    oh well just my 2 kaypoh cents.

  11. #11

    Talking

    Originally posted by Larry

    if it's community $$$ then i'd suggest looking at the Canon D60 or Nikon D100 range. you don't need high-end pro bodies like D1x or 1D if you're not gonna use it extensively.
    agree with larry .....

    juzt a D60 or a D100 will do in ur caze ..... can uze the remaining $$$ to buy something elze for ur club ....


  12. #12

    Default

    Thanks...

    After seeing your email and knowing that the D100 gives a smaller multiplying factor as compared to D60, we have proposed on Nikon D100.

    Can anyone suggest a zoom lens which covers as wide as possible and with zoom power of 200mm..


    Anyone interested in this club and stays near Chua Chu Kang, you are welcome to join our new club. We have more than a DSLR, we have computers with digital image editior like PS and a A3 color printer, photo quality.

  13. #13

    Talking

    Originally posted by song
    Thanks...

    After seeing your email and knowing that the D100 gives a smaller multiplying factor as compared to D60, we have proposed on Nikon D100.

    Can anyone suggest a zoom lens which covers as wide as possible and with zoom power of 200mm..


    Anyone interested in this club and stays near Chua Chu Kang, you are welcome to join our new club. We have more than a DSLR, we have computers with digital image editior like PS and a A3 color printer, photo quality.
    eerrrhhhh ...... how abt AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6D IF .....

    me dont noe izzit good or not ..... u can azk thoze who more experienced in Nikon lensez .....

    btw ..... wat clud iz that ..... ?? ..... IN club ..... ?? ....


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by song
    Can anyone suggest a zoom lens which covers as wide as possible and with zoom power of 200mm..
    if you're using it for events, probably a ultra-wide like a budget 18-35mm would be more suitable. for a mid-zoom, the AF-S 24-85G lens is good value for $$$, esp on the D100. and for your 200mm reach, nothing beats the 80-200mm f/2.8.

  15. #15

    Default IN CLUB

    THis is a club specially targetting the group of people who wants to discuss more on digital photography and imaging. We cater to video editing to digital photography. As we are newly set up, our activities are not yet ironed out. We need people who could help in organising photography outing and etc. We have computer hardware support, a DSLR and A3 photo printer. We are also currently negotiating with a Fuji crystal paper digital film developer to collect digital photo from our club weekly at a price of $0.35 per piece without development charges.


    It would be good for people who stay near Chua Chu Kang, Bt Panjang , Upper Bt Timah and Bt Batok area. Join us to help shape it into a club for digital photo and imaging. We currently have HP as sponser for computer (about 20 sets)

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: IN CLUB

    Originally posted by song
    THis is a club specially targetting the group of people who wants to discuss more on digital photography and imaging. We cater to video editing to digital photography. As we are newly set up, our activities are not yet ironed out. We need people who could help in organising photography outing and etc. We have computer hardware support, a DSLR and A3 photo printer. We are also currently negotiating with a Fuji crystal paper digital film developer to collect digital photo from our club weekly at a price of $0.35 per piece without development charges.


    It would be good for people who stay near Chua Chu Kang, Bt Panjang , Upper Bt Timah and Bt Batok area. Join us to help shape it into a club for digital photo and imaging. We currently have HP as sponser for computer (about 20 sets)
    So Song, any update on your club or what camera you finally gotten?

  17. #17
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    am sure that if you post more details on the club and stuffs pple here may want to join

  18. #18

    Default Re: IN CLUB

    Originally posted by song
    THis is a club specially targetting the group of people who wants to discuss more on digital photography and imaging. We cater to video editing to digital photography. As we are newly set up, our activities are not yet ironed out. We need people who could help in organising photography outing and etc. We have computer hardware support, a DSLR and A3 photo printer. We are also currently negotiating with a Fuji crystal paper digital film developer to collect digital photo from our club weekly at a price of $0.35 per piece without development charges.


    It would be good for people who stay near Chua Chu Kang, Bt Panjang , Upper Bt Timah and Bt Batok area. Join us to help shape it into a club for digital photo and imaging. We currently have HP as sponser for computer (about 20 sets)
    I wouldnt mind to join such a club but really, is there any price to pay?? And also what sort of commitment level are you looking at.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Re: IN CLUB

    Originally posted by nivlekx
    I wouldnt mind to join such a club but really, is there any price to pay?? And also what sort of commitment level are you looking at.
    Dear all,

    Very pleased to see the interest. I have roped in Patrick from Clubsnap into the club. I think he is seeing his worth inside the club.

    To clarify, we are still fighting to form up the core committee member. We need people who can conduct course on photography and you get to earn commission from these.

    We need people to organise photo-shoot trip. My committee has not much experience in these. Patrick is the best i have now.

  20. #20

    Default IN Club

    To continue from previous post,

    The club is a grassroot club into only digital photography and IT. We are very short of good dedicated people in the core. A high standard is expected from us as we are under the acting minister of Arts.

    So interested clubsnapper, please join and contact 98563972 . Look for Song. It would be free for the core members.

    We need You..!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •