Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 248

Thread: thinking of getting a canon

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    my budget is 5k.slightly more ok.
    the 70-200 with or without IS, is there a significant diff other than the vibration reduction like nikon?focusing speed and such.are they the same?(is vs non is).
    Budget 5k, I think prolly a 2nd hand 20D/30D, a 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 85mm f1.8 and a flash to round it up nicely to about 5k. (+/-)

    The focusing speed no difference. The IS lens is newer than the non-IS and also boasts weather sealing but no pt if your body ain't weather-sealed though. The IS helps a lot if you tend to use handheld in low light situations. IQ is almost the same but some ppl say the non-IS is slightly sharper than the IS.

    4.5k is rather ex for body only.
    Indeed, but its the only way to full frame for the FF enthusiasts out there. And the IQ is quite a bit better than 20D/30D.

  2. #42

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    I think you should poetially rent a 30D and a 5D along with the desiered lenses to try out first. It might set you back about 100+ dollars but can potentially save you thousands.

    The sad part about canon bodies is that there is NO internal wireless flash system. You will need to use either a ST-E2 (wireless transmitter) or a 580ex flash unit. The 5D does not have any builtin flash so you will need to to get one if you do decide to invest in a 5D. An alternative is to get second hand 1D II that are flaoting in the BnS section for about 4K
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    I always thought people go for Fuji when it comes to colours, haha.

    jeanie I use a 1d2 myself, but like others have said, 5D's good with skin tones too. You have to note that lighting your subject correctly plays an important role in bringing out skin tones too though.

  4. #44

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    She has money and time. Let her try another system. Beside Canon, you can try Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Leica, etc...

    Regards,
    Arto.
    She can buy Hasselblad

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    for body, i will recommend the 5D other than the 1 series. anything lower than 5D, i think ur d200 can do what you require.

    i love prime lenses! just happened to read this thread on dpreview and perhaps u might be tempted. it's called 85L show off!
    other than the 85L, i love the 35L too!

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20782992

  6. #46

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    interesting thread hmmm ... there goes ur bonus

    my 0.02 cents : i like the low noise for canon hee
    i didnt mean to say this but since u mentioned my bonus, i'll be thicked skin and let u know my bonus is much more than that.
    (see lah, now people will say i'm a super show off.)

    low noise meaning even at high ISO, grain not really visible?

  7. #47

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Get a Canon DSLR + Nikon-Canon Mount converter + existing nikon lens

    reason i want a dedicated canon is to really TRY it out and compare it with d200, body for body, lens for lens.
    no point i use canon body and use nikon lens wor...

  8. #48

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    just rent one first... Save $$$
    you know i dont like to rent things.

    anyway, if i buy, try, then later found it not really suitable, i'll sell it.

    the lost in $ is also considered rental fee mah, though higher.

  9. #49

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Budget 5k, I think prolly a 2nd hand 20D/30D, a 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 85mm f1.8 and a flash to round it up nicely to about 5k. (+/-)

    The focusing speed no difference. The IS lens is newer than the non-IS and also boasts weather sealing but no pt if your body ain't weather-sealed though. The IS helps a lot if you tend to use handheld in low light situations. IQ is almost the same but some ppl say the non-IS is slightly sharper than the IS.

    Indeed, but its the only way to full frame for the FF enthusiasts out there. And the IQ is quite a bit better than 20D/30D.
    yup, weather seal not and never an issue for me, cos even if i intend to shoot in rain, there'll always be someone holding a big brolly for me.
    i have very good friends

    one thing i love about canon is their white lenses.i love the eos 1's curves but it's insane for that kind of pricing considering i dont use it to 'tan jiat'(for a living).

  10. #50

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    I think you should poetially rent a 30D and a 5D along with the desiered lenses to try out first. It might set you back about 100+ dollars but can potentially save you thousands.

    The sad part about canon bodies is that there is NO internal wireless flash system. You will need to use either a ST-E2 (wireless transmitter) or a 580ex flash unit. The 5D does not have any builtin flash so you will need to to get one if you do decide to invest in a 5D. An alternative is to get second hand 1D II that are flaoting in the BnS section for about 4K

    u mean to say even 30d and 400d also no build in flash ah?geezz..that's a little lacking in that aspect.

    4k for 2nd hand still over my budget.

  11. #51

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by netidolweb View Post
    She can buy Hasselblad
    always wanted to.but didnt like squarish cameras and didnt really want to spend that kind of moolasssss.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    u mean to say even 30d and 400d also no build in flash ah?geezz..that's a little lacking in that aspect.

    4k for 2nd hand still over my budget.
    there is in-built flash in 30d and 400d. what he meant was that, canon cameras cannot trigger off shoe flashes like 580ex with our in-built flash, which nikon cameras are capable of doing.

    only 5D and 1 series bodies do not have in-built flash.

  13. #53

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    I always thought people go for Fuji when it comes to colours, haha.

    jeanie I use a 1d2 myself, but like others have said, 5D's good with skin tones too. You have to note that lighting your subject correctly plays an important role in bringing out skin tones too though.

    so judging from you canon users, 5d is the way to go ya?
    but 5d has been around for sometime already right?
    so canon's equivilant of d200 is 5d?

    btw, splut, have u used a nikon b4?how's the user friendliness?in terms of menu selection, mode,iso selection and such....

  14. #54

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by drumma View Post
    there is in-built flash in 30d and 400d. what he meant was that, canon cameras cannot trigger off shoe flashes like 580ex with our in-built flash, which nikon cameras are capable of doing.

    only 5D and 1 series bodies do not have in-built flash.
    ic.ic.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    so judging from you canon users, 5d is the way to go ya?
    but 5d has been around for sometime already right?
    so canon's equivilant of d200 is 5d?

    btw, splut, have u used a nikon b4?how's the user friendliness?in terms of menu selection, mode,iso selection and such....

    how do u weigh both?
    5d is full frame while d200 isn't.

  16. #56

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    so judging from you canon users, 5d is the way to go ya?
    but 5d has been around for sometime already right?
    so canon's equivilant of d200 is 5d?

    btw, splut, have u used a nikon b4?how's the user friendliness?in terms of menu selection, mode,iso selection and such....
    Not really equivalent... D200 is somewhere between their 30D and 5D.

    BC

  17. #57

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by drumma View Post
    how do u weigh both?
    5d is full frame while d200 isn't.
    that's why i asked.i dont know wor
    but seems like many advise me to get 5d.
    but kind of out of the budget.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    yup, weather seal not and never an issue for me, cos even if i intend to shoot in rain, there'll always be someone holding a big brolly for me.
    i have very good friends
    Wah so lucky you. I wish I had someone to hold brolly for me too.

    Weather seal may be useful but dun think anyone would wanna risk their precious gears also lar.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    one thing i love about canon is their white lenses.i love the eos 1's curves but it's insane for that kind of pricing considering i dont use it to 'tan jiat'(for a living).
    White lenses + EOS 1 curves =

  19. #59
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    just go rent n try try lah save $$ for holiday trips lah .... den take nice pics of the world (hope i can visit everywhere hehe)
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: thinking of getting a canon

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    that's why i asked.i dont know wor
    but seems like many advise me to get 5d.
    but kind of out of the budget.
    heh.. 30d and 400d are cropped sensors. ur experience with them will be of minimal difference.. (like interface, different shutter sound, yada yada, etc)
    i think one of the first things u might be awed at when u play with a 5D is looking through the viewfinder.
    i've played with 1ds2 before the experience is just.. amazing. first thing i did was just to look through the viewfinder. then play with 16-35L and a fisheye lens. used a 35L wide open and the quality is awesome!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •