Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15303538394041424550 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread

Default Re: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread

Me! *raise hand*
    But I will be rooting for Milan!

Me too! And I will be rooting for The Arsenal. No matter what the final result is, this is the kind of match that football fans will definitely stay up for

Arsenal needs a good result in Europe against the establishment (AC, Barca, Real M etc).

===========
    Van Persie and Gourcuff offer goal threats from the bench By Myles Palmer

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti says he will start with two strikers.

And Robin van Persie will provide a goal threat from the bench.

Last Friday I heard that RVP had been in full-contact training for a week, doing everything the other players were doing, although Arsene would deny that.

How fit and sharp is Robin van Persie? Fit enough to hit one killer shot, I'd say.

Ancelotti said, " We will certainly be playing with two strikers because we are at home and, for games like this which you have got to win, you have got to have two forwards on the field."

What does he mean by that?
    Pato and Inzaghi?
    Pato and Gilardino?
    Or does he mean Pato and Kaka ?

If Seedorf is out, Yohan Gourcuff can play wide left, as he did when he came for Seedorf against Lazio in Saturday's 1-1 draw.

Gourcuff is a tall, slim, right-footed French lad who can score goals. He is classy, quick, technical and good-looking - a typical Milan player. I'm sure Arsene Wenger would love to sign him. If Gourcuff plays, it'll be interesting.

However, Italian football places a lot of emphasis on age, on seniority, on pecking order. So we may not see much of Gourcuff.

If Milan start with two strikers, and Arsenal play 4-5-1, it could be 0-0 at half-time.The team that scores first will go through. And Robin Bang! Persie could make the difference.

Winning this one would be everything to Arsene, to Gallas, to Fabregas, to all the Gooners in Milan today.

No English club has beaten AC Milan at the San Siro. (FF - will Arsenal be the first?)

Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited by FooFighter; 4th March 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Arsenal Ftw!!!!

It's an incredible performance plus willpower! We beat AC Milan 2-0 and the goals were scored during the last 10 minutes!

Woohoo! Let's hope this spells the end of our mini slump!

fantastic performance! dominated most of the game as we did in the 1st leg, but this time with 2 great goals to show

wahooooooo! knock the defending champions down.... right on track to take their place. we'll be englands best and europes best!!!
    IF

Wenger: 'We played with authority, maturity, talent and intelligence'

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    Wenger: 'We played with authority, maturity, talent and intelligence'
    haha..were we running on AMTI (empty)?

Let's look forward to the next game away to Wigan ... hope the lads won't be too jaded from the Italian test ...

Go Gunners!

Great result! Hope it rubs off for the epl matches as well.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

1st goal - wonder strike
    2nd goal - the emergence of Walcott - his confidence, speed, skill and football brain - The Theo Has Landed (finally)!

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    haha..were we running on AMTI (empty)?
    Bish Bish!

=============

Gritty Fabregas like Beckham as Arsenal make history in San Siro

By Myles Palmer

AC Milan 0 Arsenal 2

Fabregas 84, Adebayor 93

Cesc Fabregas reminded me of David Beckham last night.

His determination was huge. It was awesome. It was total. It was : However long this takes, whatever it takes to win this game, I'll hang in here and keep battling and do what has to be done.

As long as Cesc Fabregas is around, no game is ever lost.

That's why I used to write (1) It's Cesc's team now and (2) Arsenal can't play without Fabregas and (3) Does Thierry fit into Cesc's team?

The collective character of this Arsenal performance was fantastic.

It was possession and work ethic that beat Milan, rather than stylish passing moves. After 78 minutes, Arsenal had 60% possession.

All day I was thinking : Real Madrid. Two years ago Arsenal played Real Madrid twice and Madrid didn't score in either game and I wondered if Milan might do the same. I doubted that because the Milan galacticos are less lazy, more disciplined, more professional, more Italian.

Arsenal dominated the first half but never looked like scoring and had a few scares at the back.

Second half, Milan were looking for a mistake rather than looking for a move. And a crowd of 81,879 was watching a game where every shot was wide or straight at the keeper.

When Pato's shot deflected off the knee of Senderos, the ref gave a goal-kick when it was obviously a corner. Then Kaka won a throw on the left but the decision went to Arsenal and he threw the ball down and was booked for dissent. Nothing was going for Milan and they were missing Seedorf.

Then Fabregas hit a shot from 35 yards and it didn't seem to have the power. But it bounced and flew into the bottom corner for 1-0.

I'd waited 174 minutes for a goal and that seemed like a long, long time. But now Arsenal had scored.

My best friend Doug had phoned at half-time and I'd said Fabregas was the only Arsenal player who could score. But I said he could only score from inside the box.

Then in 93, sub Theo Walcott beat Kaladze and zoomed to the line and placed a precision cross to the far post to give Adebayor a stab for 2-0. His first Champions League goal.

That strike by Fabregas was not a vital goal. It was not a long-range goal or a speculative goal. It was a historic goal. A historic Fabregas goal that will be remembered for years and shown for decades. The goal that allowed Arsenal to become the first English club to beat AC Milan in the San Siro. Historic.

Paulo Maldini was fabulous. What a classy guy. A couple of years ago Paulo went to the club and said : I'm not playing as many games now, halve my salary.

It's just a shame that Milan wrecked Arsenal's February by being a spectre that has hung over the team since before the FA Cup tie Manchester United. It's been a very, very hard period, with the death of Sagna's brother, the 4-0 fiasco at Old Trafford, the horrific injury to Eduardo, the draws against Birmingham and Aston Villa.

That's what I think. AC Milan ruined February but kick-started March and vindicated Arsene's choice of priorities.

Carlo Ancelotti is a genuine guy and I hope he doesn't lose his job over this. Milan are fifth in Serie A, below Fiorentina in fourth. The vanity of Jose Mourinho would wreck Milan, damage it for years to come.

Italian football has two chances to come back this week.

Roma lead 2-1 as they go to Real Madrid tonight. Madrid are without van Nistelrooy and Robben, so it's up to Robinho to turn it on and have a better night than his friend Kaka had last night.

On Thursday, Fiorentina play Everton in the Uefa Cup. I know exactly what Everton can and can't do but I don't know what Fiorentina can do, and I really don't have a clue what they can do against Everton. Indeed, I don't know what fourth place in Serie A means any more. So I look forward to that game. It'll tell me a lot.

MILAN (4-3-1-2): Kalac; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Kaka; Inzaghi (Gilardino, 69), Pirlo. Subs not used: Fiori (gk), Emerson, Simic, Favalli, Gourcuff, Bonera.

ARSENAL (4-4-1-1): Almunia; Sagna, Gallas, Senderos, Clichy; Eboue (Walcott, 71), Flamini, Fabregas, Diaby; Hleb (Gilberto, 89); Adebayor. Subs not used: Lehmann (gk), Van Persie, Denilson, Bendtner, Justin Hoyte.
    Referee: Konrad Plautz (Austria).

Mar 5, 2008

Juande Ramos says Tottenham's Carling Cup win over Chelsea was every bit as good as Arsenal's "magnificent" Champions League win over holders AC Milan.

Can compare meh?

Oh well... at least they won a cup - one which Arsene could not bother competing seriously for

Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    Juande Ramos says Tottenham's Carling Cup win over Chelsea was every bit as good as Arsenal's "magnificent" Champions League win over holders AC Milan.

Can compare meh?

Oh well... at least they won a cup - one which Arsene could not bother competing seriously for
    cos for them beating chelsea is like winning the world cup lor....once in a long long time

kudos to the milan team and fans. magnanimous and gracious even in defeat.

Yeah ... glad it's not all about winning or losing ... glad to see sportsmanship is still alive and kicking!

Looks like no teams from the "Big Four" will be even in the FA cup finals this time. Interesting...

hehe...shiok. i wonder if we will see an all championship final

A JJB Stadium, score is still tied @ 0-0 ... the pitch is horrible by the way ...

Come on Gunners!

Yeah too bad we couldnt get a better result at Wigan, but we are still on top.

SAF just announce his retirement plans.. and the players switched off at the FA Cup. Its related I tell you

Anyway so whats the point of beating Arsenal 4-0? at the FA Cup and then loose out to Portsmouth subsequently?

Take it easy guys!