Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15202324252627303550 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread

Default Re: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    Looks like a great 3 points against Wigan and Moanchester United losing against Bolton

its a good result, widen the gap and quiet the rival fans of the current 2nd placed team for the time being.

strangely i have noticed more arsenal jersy wearing fans on the streets lately, in the past there weren't many (during the double), i guess the current swashbuckling style of football has garnered new fans.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    Definitely, any team would miss Fab and Hleb, they found a good understanding together and will form the spine of the team imho.
    Anyway, congrats on your winning bet on Croatia.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    strangely i have noticed more arsenal jersy wearing fans on the streets lately, in the past there weren't many (during the double), i guess the current swashbuckling style of football has garnered new fans.
    It's a natural phenomena especially when a team is in favour or doing exceptionally ...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    It's a natural phenomena especially when a team is in favour or doing exceptionally ...
    i still remember 12 years ago in JC, a well-known DJ came to my school for a programme, when one of the students told him that he supported Arsenal, the DJ laughed and said that watching Arsenal was like watching a tennis match, because they only know how to pump the ball forward and the opponent will pump the ball back.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Anyway, congrats on your winning bet on Croatia.
    Thank you. The money will go to my Zuiko Fund

Anyway the update here is Walcott's injury wasn't as bad as initially thought to be.

And not sure what to make out of it, but I read that the Arsenal players all refused to shake hands with Heskey at the final whistle because of his tackle on Walcott.

3 Things I have learnt this week
    1. Arsenal have learnt to score late late late goals.
    2. Those goals often win the game
    3. We can cope with the lost of Hleb if Rosicky plays thats well

Yeeehaawww!
    We're gonna GUN YOU DOWN!
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Next stop Sevilla ... go Gunners go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTDSSiMio0

gunners fans at Reading singing to a spurs fan. haaa
    One-North Explorers

lucky for us this wasnt a critical match. worst performance so far

i have to call this the "philippe senderos comedy show"

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    lucky for us this wasnt a critical match. worst performance so far

i have to call this the "philippe senderos comedy show"
    Well the unbeaten run has to end somewhere down the road ... let's concentrate on the next game against Villa ... it'll be tough as they are playing very well now ...

If the AW & the team learns something from this defeat and do something about it, it will be a lesson well learnt and will not be a total lost

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    If the AW & the team learns something from this defeat and do something about it, it will be a lesson well learnt and will not be a total lost
    hopefully

Arsenal came from 1 goal down to lead Aston Villa 2-1 at half-time ... heng ah ...

Come on Gunners!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Arsenal came from 1 goal down to lead Aston Villa 2-1 at half-time ... heng ah ...

Come on Gunners!
    SCORE MORE!!!
    One-North Explorers

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    SCORE MORE!!!
    The score-line was maintained until the final whistle ... yay! Downside was Hleb left the pitch injured ...

Nice article on Flamini taken from Elitefootballtalk

Flamini is a worker, a fighter and a winner

Two seasons ago Mathieu Flamini showed everyone he has a character to believe in.

With left back after left back after makeshift left back falling injured (Cole, Clichy, Cygan, Lauren etc) Flamini was forced into this position and he showed fantastic determination and battling qualities in every performance as Arsenal recovered from a poor first half of the season to make the Champions League final and brilliantly rescue fourth place.

Flamini typified Arsenal's comeback that season by giving his all and performing very well in an unaccustomed position. At the time I mentioned on EFT how I liked the way Flamini played with his shirt sleeves rolled-up - like he was a guy at work ready to put in an energetic shift and with determination would get the job done. And this is the character he has massively injected into Arsenal this year - that of a worker and a fighter.

At the pre-season Emirates Cup the guy who drove into the box and executed the opening goal of the opening match against Paris St Germain was Flamini. Arsenal won the Emirates Cup and then went to compete in the Amsterdam Tournament where after a solid win against Lazio they played against Ajax who had a clear strategy of making numerous late and bad tackles. Significantly for me after every terrible tackle the first Arsenal player to run in and remonstrate with the offender and show support for his fallen teammate was Flamini.

I liked to see this - Flamini was not going to stand-by after watching a teammate get flattened, and his example meant that other Arsenal players would quickly follow him and show that this new young Arsenal team were united in their determination not to be bullied into submission. Arsenal won the Amsterdam tournament with a late van Persie strike and after two pre-season cup wins Flamini was assured a starting place for the season.

The young Frenchman hasn't looked back by becoming an integral member of this third-generation team. He sets the tone for hard work and fighting spirit that his teammates latch onto and emulate. But this is not all - he is a good passer of the ball and is an able finisher.

On Saturday, Arsenal has a tough-looking away match against Villa that was made even more tough by conceding an early goal. The Gunners then started to find their passing rhythm and crucially were able to capitalise early on their momentum through a brilliant left-footed strike by the right-footed Flamini. His goal celebration is now becoming trade-mark - punching the air with anger and determination as if he has just righted a wrong.

It shows about his character that there is no posing with Flamini - this guy is on the pitch to work and win. Arsenal went onto score a second and gain a good win at a difficult venue - and for me it was really appropriate and unsurprising that it was Fighter Flamini who initiated this comeback victory.

His decisive contribution underlined again that it is massive that Arsenal did not lose Flamini in the summer. I really like what he brings to the team: he is a worker, a fighter, and a winner. And when Owen Hargreaves is trading on the transfer market at 20m I can only be impressed by the fact that we recruited who I consider a better player at between 5-10% the price - demonstrating yet again that Wenger is a master at recruiting excellent potential at great value for money.

Newcastle next!

Nice to see Arsenal doing their bit for charity.

Charity starts at home for Arsenal
    By Gary Slater

Arsenal's players, manager and directors and many of their staff are to donate a day's pay to charity when they take on Chelsea at the Emirates Stadium in the Premier League on Dec 16.

The idea is part of the club's "Be a Gooner. Be a Giver" campaign which this season is aiming to raise 250,000 to fund dedicated sports facilities at the TreeHouse school in north London for children with autism. The campaign has the full support of manager Arsene Wenger who said: "The work of TreeHouse is absolutely amazing. I have seen first-hand the dedication these people show in helping kids with autism improve their lives and the lives of their families.

"Education is important to all of us and the progress that the pupils of TreeHouse school have made is nothing short of remarkable. That is why we are taking part in 'Be a Gooner. Be a Giver'. The Arsenal family is a large one and if everyone just pledges something, I am confident that we will reach our 250,000 target."

As well as the players and staff donating a day's wages, 50p from every programme sold will go to the charity, which will also feature in advertising around the ground. Arsenal captain William Gallas added: "Cesc [Fabregas] and I went along to TreeHouse recently and it was a humbling, yet fun-filled experience. The interaction with the kids was fantastic and the dedication of the teachers was second to none.

"We are united on the pitch and we are united off it. We are all getting involved in the 'Be a Gooner, Be a Giver' campaign because we don't want to just talk about helping TreeHouse, we want to make a real difference."

To donate go to www.justgiving.com/beagoonerbeagiver.

Out-of-favour Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann, who is ready to return to Germany for the sake of his international career, has drawn interest from first division club Wolfsburg. Lehmann, 38, has even said he would play for a second division club if it meant he would be first-choice in the run-up to Euro 2008.

Midfielder Alexander Hleb is set to miss Arsenal's Premier League game against Newcastle at St James' Park tomorrow with an Achilles injury. Hleb had only just returned from a hamstring injury when he was forced to limp off during the win over Aston Villa last Saturday.

Just for laughs, Hitler lamenting spurs lost to Arsenal

(one of those subtitle jokes video)

One-North Explorers

Next stop, St. James Park ... Newcastle's gonna throw everything @ us ... including the kitchen sink! It won't be a stroll in the park for this one ...

I woke up to watch the match and Arsenal was already up 1-0 before the image in my TV came up.

From the slow-mo replay, Adebayor's goal is class

But Newcastle grafted and came back from Steven Taylor goal.

In all fairness, 1-1 seems like a good result considering we were without Fab, Hleb, Persie, Flamini...