Thread: Any barcode experts here?

Default Any barcode experts here?

Hi
    Is there any experienced users of barcode in the retailing industry here?

Let say, I have a dress(design), and there are 10 colours, and 5 variations. I was informed by the customer (dept store) that I need a barcode for each col or variation, so that when they put them online, the consumers can order the correct one.
    As such, just for this design, I need 50 barcodes.

Now a few problems i may face:

1. So if in the course of a year, if I create 20 designs, do you mean I would have need 20 x 50 barcodes = 1000 barcodes? ... then in 3 years, i will have 3,000?...

2. If a customer needs me to pay $30 per code then i cant imagine how much i need to pay, multiply by 20 customers! .....

In the past, we would just create a single barcode for a single design, so in a year we only create about 20 codes..... but really in the modern business, this method cannot work anymore since the online buyers need to have the correct code for different variations....

anyone here can share your experience and solutions?...
    always the Light, .... always.

Post Re: Any barcode experts here?

Dear Canonised,

There is a difference between Product Code and Barcode.

A product code is code you would use to generalize a product.
    E.g. A Short Sleeve T Shirt would be given a code 10001

This T Shirt may have different size/color (variants).

It is here that the product is given a barcode.
    e.g.
    10001001001 to mean color: WHITE, size: SMALL
    10001001002 to mean color: WHITE, size: MEDIUM

So basically what I meant is, you will have 1 entry as a product code and this is tied to multiple entries of barcode to differentiate the Colors/Sizes.

Not sure if I am clear enough here..

Default Re: Any barcode experts here?

err, u can just buy the 'font' and do your own database. like what i do for my company.

i bought the whole set and i find that 128 is easier for me since 128 can make the code shorter yet its cheap. code 3 of 9 is free, but when using the same amt of char, the line get really long.

there is also UPC code, but i dunno how it works... think its more for retailing where like you say, have to pay for the code use.

if for own use, just any code will do.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    err, u can just buy the 'font' and do your own database. like what i do for my company.

i bought the whole set and i find that 128 is easier for me since 128 can make the code shorter yet its cheap. code 3 of 9 is free, but when using the same amt of char, the line get really long.

there is also UPC code, but i dunno how it works... think its more for retailing where like you say, have to pay for the code use.

if for own use, just any code will do.
    i tot 2D barcodes are more consistent..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Hi
    Is there any experienced users of barcode in the retailing industry here?

Let say, I have a dress(design), and there are 10 colours, and 5 variations. I was informed by the customer (dept store) that I need a barcode for each col or variation, so that when they put them online, the consumers can order the correct one.
    As such, just for this design, I need 50 barcodes.

Now a few problems i may face:

1. So if in the course of a year, if I create 20 designs, do you mean I would have need 20 x 50 barcodes = 1000 barcodes? ... then in 3 years, i will have 3,000?...

2. If a customer needs me to pay $30 per code then i cant imagine how much i need to pay, multiply by 20 customers! .....

In the past, we would just create a single barcode for a single design, so in a year we only create about 20 codes..... but really in the modern business, this method cannot work anymore since the online buyers need to have the correct code for different variations....

anyone here can share your experience and solutions?...
    More article codes = better inventory control
    If you are using 1 article code and lump all the colours (but same design), then when you want to track back would be difficult,not advisable.
    3000 article code over a course of 3 years is quite ok, i am dealing with almost 70k article codes now,some of which are already no more,also over about 4 years.
    With a proper inventory program in place and with proper control,it will be very easy to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    i tot 2D barcodes are more consistent..
    Better still use stock cards.
    Army ICS2 inventory system also can, but must indent and self collect at ALB.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81 View Post
    Better still use stock cards.
    Army ICS2 inventory system also can, but must indent and self collect at ALB.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

More article codes = better inventory control
    If you are using 1 article code and lump all the colours (but same design), then when you want to track back would be difficult,not advisable.
    3000 article code over a course of 3 years is quite ok, i am dealing with almost 70k article codes now,some of which are already no more,also over about 4 years.
    With a proper inventory program in place and with proper control,it will be very easy to manage.
    Thanks for the infor .... of course, 1 EAN for 1 item is most ideal but the cost of maintenance is very high.
    Probably you are right, and i should forget about saving costs in the short term and face the problem head on.

Thanks for the infor .... of course, 1 EAN for 1 item is most ideal but the cost of maintenance is very high.
    Probably you are right, and i should forget about saving costs in the short term and face the problem head on.
    i'm not sure for online but for shop front,cost of maintainance is the same.
    You just create more EAN in the inventory program.
    For my case,we send them down to their POS system.

More EAN = less headaches,better control
    Well hope this helps you.

ya, just a font nia...

mine is AABB-XXYY so AABB is which model, since easier to remember by 2 char, sometimes dun even need to scan the code, key in also can already. then XXYY is variation.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

The problem is not so much about creating EAN codes, internal control, inventory, etc... but more on the high cost of printing on individual labels, the admin costs for PO generations by the customers and the cost of getting SKU from customers, which is linked to EAN.
    In our case, we have about 500 items (so only 500 EAN) and if we change the concept, this 500 is equivalent to about 50,000 EAN.... bopian ... juz have to accept the change!
    Thanks....

The problem is not so much about creating EAN codes, internal control, inventory, etc... but more on the high cost of printing on individual labels, the admin costs for PO generations by the customers and the cost of getting SKU from customers, which is linked to EAN.
    In our case, we have about 500 items (so only 500 EAN) and if we change the concept, this 500 is equivalent to about 50,000 EAN.... bopian ... juz have to accept the change!
    Thanks....
    Well,kind off confusing here.
    Your customers and you,so are you the POS vendor or some consultation company?
    SKU,EAN - There are alot of terms for different companies using different systems.
    For PO,DO,receipts etc... You cannot save unless you can group them by supplier or location to save paper, these paper works might be check by auditors if need to at the end of the workyear if applicable,so do take note.
    There should be some solutions but just need to understand more.