Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filters Filters Filters ??

Default Re: Filters Filters Filters ??

adelfin and arto, many thanks for your clarifications... hmm.. in that case, maybe i should get a cheap one first since i am just starting out and will only be using the kit lens.... thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauche View Post
    What's the average price of a 52mm Circular Polarizer Filter? Is there any specific brands to get?

Prices differs for different brands. You can try Hoya or Tokina for the average priced ones or B+W for the better ones. My Hoya ones are serving me well. As for the actual pricing, I can't really tell you cos I don't follow the pricing very closely.

Under what situation that I need to use a Neutral Density Filter for still pictures? Can you give some examples to illustrate this point?

An example would be when you want to shoot something under the strong sun and does not want to have the foreground darken/black. So to achieve the desired result, a ND filter would be required.

Is this also known as Macro lens? If not, what is the difference between a macro lens and a close up filter, and when do you use which one?

There are dedicated lens for Macros. (eg. the popular Tamron 90mm) If you do not wish to invest in a Macro lens and want to achieve the effect, you can use a close up filter to substitute. Of course the result cannot be compared to the dedicated lens.

Thanks in advance!

As above bro.
    Last edited by Galdor; 13th March 2007 at 04:54 PM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    There are dedicated lens for Macros. (eg. the popular Tamron 90mm) If you do not wish to invest in a Macro lens and want to achieve the effect, you can use a close up filter to substitute. Of course the result cannot be compared to the dedicated lens.
    thanks for all your answers.

ok, now.... what's the price of a macro lens like you mentioned, the Tamron 90mm, vs a close up filter? How can a filter actually assist in a macro shot btw?

An example would be when you want to shoot something under the strong sun and does not want to have the foreground darken/black. So to achieve the desired result, a ND filter would be required.
    Errr..., wrong I think. The ND filter is to cut the amount of light entering your lens and camera. These to make large aperture or slower shutter speed is possible in bright environment (when camera's ASA is already lowest).

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Errr..., wrong I think. The ND filter is to cut the amount of light entering your lens and camera. These to make large aperture or slower shutter speed is possible in bright environment (when camera's ASA is already lowest).

Regards,
    Arto.
    And when you want to achieve silky effects of waterfalls when you need the slow shutter speed without overexposing your shot.
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Regards,
    Arto.
    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    And when you want to achieve silky effects of waterfalls when you need the slow shutter speed without overexposing your shot.
    Oh...Thanks for the info bros.

thanks for all your answers.

ok, now.... what's the price of a macro lens like you mentioned, the Tamron 90mm, vs a close up filter? How can a filter actually assist in a macro shot btw?
    The Tamron 90mm is slightly more than S$500. Haven't try any close up filters before. Think it will magnify your subject in the cam up to a certain times. But have heard many people actually said that it's not very useful. Think it's better to get a dedicated lens. Check out the B&S if you want to save a bit of $.

Oh...Thanks for the info bros.
    do also note that ND filters come in different versions... some cut cleanly in the centre, while others are graduated to make the exposure transition smoother, while some are fully coloured to lower exposure across the whole surface... so do find out what kind of effect u want before buying...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    do also note that ND filters come in different versions... some cut cleanly in the centre, while others are graduated to make the exposure transition smoother, while some are fully coloured to lower exposure across the whole surface... so do find out what kind of effect u want before buying...
    There are:
    - ND filter. reducing amount of light uniformly.
    - Gradual ND filter. Only some part of the filter is reducing amount of light.
    - Colored gradual ND filter. Like gradual ND filter, but instead of black/gray color, it is colored.
    - Variable ND filter. You can adjust how much you want it to block the light.

Regards,
    Arto.

2 quick questions:

1) As mentioned, the UV filter can be left on the camera permanantly for protection of the lenses. Does it affect the picture quality when the picture is taken indoor where there is no UV light?

2) If I want to use a CPL filter with the UV filter and a wCON, which do i place in front/behind?
    i)lens--->CPL--->UV--->wCON??
    ii)lens--->UV--->CPL--->wCON??
    ii)lens--->UV--->wCON--->CPL??

2 quick questions:

1) As mentioned, the UV filter can be left on the camera permanantly for protection of the lenses. Does it affect the picture quality when the picture is taken indoor where there is no UV light?

2) If I want to use a CPL filter with the UV filter and a wCON, which do i place in front/behind?
    1) No. Just make sure you clean your filters regularly
    2) Don't stack or you might introduce vignetting. Use what you need at that point in time only.

2 quick questions:

1) NO.. it won't affect...
    2) put the CPL in front.. if not how are u going to adjust it easily?

1) NO.. it won't affect...
    2) put the CPL in front.. if not how are u going to adjust it easily?
    why not? just turn everything infront...

put the CPL in front.. if not how are u going to adjust it easily?
    you mean like this?
    lens--->UV--->wCON--->CPL

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Don't stack or you might introduce vignetting. Use what you need at that point in time only.
    ok, but most pple recommend putting a UV filter as 'ALWAYS ON', but if i need to use a CPL with a wCON, what do u suggest the arrangement be?

Will it cause vignetting with that combo? or i shd remove the UV filter when i use the CPL filter and use it as : lens--->CPL--->wCON??

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    why not? just turn everything infront...
    ya.. try taking apart the filters with a really thin rotating element in the middle of them...

Deregistered

Do anyone still usin Softener Filters? Is it possible to shoot and later pp in the CS2 to get the same image as usin a real Softener Filters? Thanks..

Why why why ??

I only use 2 kind of filters. UV filter and Circular-Polarizer (C-PL). UV filter just for front element protection, I use B+W UV MRC filter for all my lenses. C-PL filter when want to reduce/remove reflection.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Sorry for my noobishness...but I'd like to know what is a B+W UV filter. What is the difference with that and the normal UV filter? Is it only to produce black and white pictures? And is skylight filter recommended for normal usage (protection)?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    Sorry for my noobishness...but I'd like to know what is a B+W UV filter. What is the difference with that and the normal UV filter? Is it only to produce black and white pictures? And is skylight filter recommended for normal usage (protection)?

Thanks!
    B+W is a brand. ;P B+W filters are top of line filters. Good if you can afford them.

hi,

just asking got shop sells one set of various types of filters???

i am taking landscape shots so what kind of filters should i get? currently i got one uv filter on my kit lens....a circular one on my 55mm-200mm lens....

but i want to get more effect....like soft at the edge creating romantic kind of feelings, the sky more blue etc etc....the kind which will make pictures speaks more creatively....
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast