View Poll Results: What will you do if u found that a very competent worker used fake degree to get into

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fire him.

9 11.39%
  • Ask him to resign

20 25.32%
  • Continue hiring him as per normal.

4 5.06%
  • Continue hiring him but revert his pay to non-degree pay-scale.

14 17.72%
  • Penalised him (eg no bonus)

10 12.66%
  • Charge him in court

3 3.80%
  • Transfer him to HR dept to spot fake degree scroll of prospective employees.

3 3.80%
  • Ask him to stay but he must get a real degree.

15 18.99%
  • My value: As long as he is competent, fake or real degree doesnt matter.

15 18.99%
  • My value: honesty is more impt than being competent.

23 29.11%
  • Other reactions...

5 6.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What will you do if u found that a very competent worker used fake degree to get into

Default Re: What will you do if u found that a very competent worker used fake degree to get

like that also can debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    What will you do if u found that a very competent worker used fake degree to get into your company?
    when i read this question, i interpret it as that the degree is an essential condition for entry into the company. it can be a company image issue, it can be that the job requires skill acquired through varsity education. it just mean that the degree matters, for the job and for the company. not all jobs requires a degree, but there are many jobs that need qualifications. it's too easy to generalise everything and say that there's no relationship between paper qualification and performance.

if the job is one where performance has no meaningful relation with the paper qualification, there's no need for the applicant to fake a degree. if a company tags job offers solely to paper qualifications, i don't think that company will last very long either.

Default Re: What will you do if u found that a very competent worker used fake degree to get

Just wonder, how many people are always honest during work or never lie???

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Just wonder, how many people are always honest during work or never lie???
    that's a good question, why don't you start a poll? it'll be an interesting comparison against this poll though the relationship isn't really a meaningful one.

Just a quick point to take note about paper qualifications.

You know Watford University 3rd Year Business Students are paid US $8,000 a month during their internships? So this shows the importance of being in the right university and paper qualifications are freaking important.

Btw Watford is the top business school in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    What will you do if u found that a very competent worker used fake degree to get into your company?
    Is honesty is more impt than being competent?

As long as he is competent, fake or real degree doesn't matter?

Be fair to other employees?

Poll coming!
    in the first place... how did this person manage to get past HR if his degree cert is faked ? i know some foreigners from other countries... came in with degrees from very weird names... and there was a guy admited he used money to buy his degree.

most singaporeans who done their degrees with full-time or thru distance learning are ok.. becos they have schools located in Singapore to prove it.. wat worries me is those people had certs from overseas universities which names are werid... nobody knows what they did over there.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post

You know Watford University 3rd Year Business Students are paid US $8,000 a month during their internships? So this shows the importance of being in the right university and paper qualifications are freaking important.

Never heard of Watford before. Do you mean University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School)? www.wharton.upenn.edu/
    It is ranked in the top 10 in the US but Harvard consistently remains the highest ranked of all business schools.
    Last edited by creampuff; 24th January 2007 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Never heard of Watford before. Do you mean University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School)? www.wharton.upenn.edu/
    It is ranked in the top 10 in the US but Harvard consistently remains the highest ranked of all business schools.
    Watford is a UK university.

End of the day, as some has said before it is about one's personal values. Well to an uncle like me. Business and intergrity is but a fine line. In the good old days, your boss took care of you. Company is family. Now? Company is just employer that looks at figures and cents. The MNC example? Well just look around you, drug companies not willing to lower prices of HIV drugs, MNCS using sweat shops. All news are that are not new but people close one eye because of high profit margins.

Winners make it through clever manuevering not honest foolishness. In this instance, if the person is competent, I would applaude him for his guts.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Watford is a UK university.
    Wrong! There is no such thing as a Watford University, only the Watford Campus of the
    University of Hertfordshire. This university is strong in technical subjects and computer science because it was an ex-polytechnic. Bro, get your facts right.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post

Even if you mean the Wharton School, US$8K a month is really small potatoes when you consider that yearly tuition fees alone cost about US$34K annually for undergraduates. For a 2 year eMBA, it is going to set you back about US$130K.

Anyway back to topic, one should look at the case of Richard Li, son of Li Ka Shing. Suffered embarrassment when the press revealed he attended but did not finish his degree at California's Stanford University, contrary to PCCW's claims.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post

Winners make it through clever manuevering not honest foolishness. In this instance, if the person is competent, I would applaude him for his guts.
    What more can I say. Good luck to Singapore. If centuryegg is in fact an uncle, and established in the business world as he said, what an example to set for the future generation.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    What more can I say. Good luck to Singapore. If centuryegg is in fact an uncle, and established in the business world as he said, what an example to set for the future generation.

Well in the business world, it is the best man who wins. It does not mean the most honest one but the one who can get others to do what he wants. You will understand when you grow up.
    Last edited by centuryegg; 25th January 2007 at 08:28 AM.

Well in the business world, it is the best man who wins. It does not mean the most honest one but the one who can get others to do what he wants. You will understand when you grow up.
    Oldegg, you are loosing my resepct faster and faster.

Thankyou for telling me to grow up. If growing up means loosing my integrity, I shall take a pass.

By the way, were you in the midst of the US Savings and Loan crisis, how about the Asian financial crisis, or perhaps Enron and Comcast fiasco. Well, you probably have no idea what I am talking about. But I have seen enough meltdown, all cause by lack of integrity.

Actually, I have been to polite to you. You are dispicable, a disgrace, and a fool.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Had a good golf game yesterday and this topic popped up since I wanted to hear from the golfing buddies what they see this scenario as... and it was interesting.

All these guys are running decent sized or large businesses and profitable. Their answers were:

1. They are still waiting for the degree that touches on "street smartness".
    2. Having a degree does not mean that one is going to be a performer... one of these guys used to hire scholars. He wised he had a gun everytime he had to let one go.
    3. It is about the person. In some cases where it happened (to them, they found such fakes), it was desperation to get a job for survival that drove these people to such lowly acts (so it is not right), but they took that opportunity to work their ass off. And they generated a lot of income to the company. Therefore the "wrong" was forgiven. "Why run a business if it is not for profits?" - Quote of the "big boys".
    4. This is a small issue and is usually "forgiven". But this becomes leverage when they want to fire the fake when he is not performing. So usually this little dark secret is used to "motivate" the person in question. Businessmen. LOL.

Welcome to the real world.

All too often, eveyone try to give the excuse, but the person is performing, so let's forgive, so let this be a motivation tool, so let this be this let this be that.

The original post was on a fake degree, what to do ... and eventually, it got morfed to integrity. But at the end of the day, can you trust a person. What I am hearing is, you don't mind a lie here and there, and you can tolerate dishonesty, as long as this person makes money for you. Am I correct?

By the way, did I not hear using the person's lies as a dark secret to motivate? Isn't this blackmail?

The real world is a cruel and practical place. However, it's up to every individual to up hold a standard of decency, uphold integrity, to do what is right.

If what was said here on CS by a few individuals is infact the real world, it's fine with me, none of my problems, because I will have the last laugh.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Oldegg, you are loosing my resepct faster and faster.

Thankyou for telling me to grow up. If growing up means loosing my integrity, I shall take a pass.

By the way, were you in the midst of the US Savings and Loan crisis, how about the Asian financial crisis, or perhaps Enron and Comcast fiasco. Well, you probably have no idea what I am talking about. But I have seen enough meltdown, all cause by lack of integrity.

Actually, I have been to polite to you. You are dispicable, a disgrace, and a fool.
    Haha young kid why so worked up till you cant even type properly and all the spelling errors come out? You said I am an uncle and I am one and I assume that you are young. So I am just saying to you that you will learn when you grow up just like me. When I was young like you, the world was beautiful. Then when you grow up, you learn that it is not. Also it is just an discussion and poll. Everyone is entitled to his or her opionon which was why in the first place the thread was for. So all who dont agree with your self righteous thoughts get shot down? Grow up lah! haha haha haha

And haha it is Despicable not dispicable. Last of all, I am a disgrace to who? You, the country whatever? A fool? Where did you get that from? Just expressing personal opinons and you get all self righteous.... Sigh relax young man.... there are more things to do than get all upset with an "oldegg" haha haha haha you really make me laugh....
    Last edited by centuryegg; 25th January 2007 at 03:17 PM.

Haha young kid why so worked up till you cant even type properly and all the spelling errors come out? You said I am an uncle and I am one and I assume that you are young. So I am just saying to you that you will learn when you grow up just like me. When I was young like you, the world was beautiful. Then when you grow up, you learn that it is not. Also it is just an discussion and poll. Everyone is entitled to his or her opionon which was why in the first place the thread was for. So all who dont agree with your self righteous thoughts get shot down? Grow up lah! haha haha haha

And haha it is Despicable not dispicable. Last of all, I am a disgrace to who? You, the country whatever? A fool? Where did you get that from? Just expressing personal opinons and you get all self righteous.... Sigh relax young man.... there are more things to do than get all upset with an "oldegg" haha haha haha you really make me laugh....
    My spelling sucks, everyone knows that. If I have to earn a living teaching speeling, I will be in trouble.

I have no patient and tolerance for people who discount integirty, and feels honesty is foolish. You absolutely are entitled to your own opinion. If this is how you feel, what you believe in, good for you.

But, let me tell you straight in your face so that you will not misunderstand. Centuryegg, you are a disgrace to yourself and to whatever culture you came from.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 25th January 2007 at 03:44 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Wrong! There is no such thing as a Watford University, only the Watford Campus of the
    University of Hertfordshire. This university is strong in technical subjects and computer science because it was an ex-polytechnic. Bro, get your facts right.
    You misinterpreted what I said completely you rude git.

Someone said its some American place, and I kindly and politely pointed out that infact Watford is in the UK, yeah, it may not be a university, but it is in one. I was basically right. And by the way, the Watford campus deals in humanities, not computer science. 'Bro, get your facts right'

My spelling sucks, everyone knows that. If I have to earn a living teaching speeling, I will be in trouble.

I have no patient and tolerance for people who discount integirty, and feels honesty is foolish. You absolutely are entitled to your own opinion. If this is how you feel, what you believe in, good for you.

But, let me tell you straight in your face so that you will not misunderstand. Centuryegg, you are a disgrace to yourself and to whatever culture you came from.
    Haha you are really making me laugh. Maybe I should get you as a stand up comedian at my company function. Hey dude your lines sound really nice for a stand up comedy act. Thanks so much for making me and all here at the office laugh. Yes I could not help sharing your posts via email with the rest in the office. They all really do find you quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    Had a good golf game yesterday and this topic popped up since I wanted to hear from the golfing buddies what they see this scenario as... and it was interesting.

All these guys are running decent sized or large businesses and profitable. Their answers were:

1. They are still waiting for the degree that touches on "street smartness".
    2. Having a degree does not mean that one is going to be a performer... one of these guys used to hire scholars. He wised he had a gun everytime he had to let one go.
    3. It is about the person. In some cases where it happened (to them, they found such fakes), it was desperation to get a job for survival that drove these people to such lowly acts (so it is not right), but they took that opportunity to work their ass off. And they generated a lot of income to the company. Therefore the "wrong" was forgiven. "Why run a business if it is not for profits?" - Quote of the "big boys".
    4. This is a small issue and is usually "forgiven". But this becomes leverage when they want to fire the fake when he is not performing. So usually this little dark secret is used to "motivate" the person in question. Businessmen. LOL.

Welcome to the real world.
    Totally agree with you.....

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    You misinterpreted what I said completely you rude git.

Someone said its some American place, and I kindly and politely pointed out that infact Watford is in the UK, yeah, it may not be a university, but it is in one. I was basically right. And by the way, the Watford campus deals in humanities, not computer science. 'Bro, get your facts right'
    Misinterpreted? Apparently you don't remember what you wrote or even what I even said.
    You wrote: "Watford is a UK university."
    I wrote: "This university is strong in technical subjects and computer science because it was an ex-polytechnic." Where did I say anything about the Watford campus dealing in computer science?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234