Thread: dvd recorder

Default dvd recorder

Hi Guys,

Just want to know if any of you are using a DVD recorder and can recommend?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: dvd recorder

internal unit for the computer?

it is so cheap just buy branded ones

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post

opps sorry for the misleading statments.. i'm looking for those dvd/hard disk recorder that records shows on TV. i'm eyeing on a 160GB capacity. i just want to know the experiences/recommendations if anyone already using here.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post

tt one is called internal DVD burner

you can get DVD recorder information at www.vcdhelp.com

I bought some times ago, philips DVD recorder (no hardisk).
    A bit trouble some without hardisk.
    Currently record to 4.7G blank DVD+R, if set to max can record upto 8 hours/disc

Get a pioneer or panny with HDD and esp those that can support +/- DL discs.
    You will not regret it.
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

Can treat it like a VCR, except here your TV programmes are recorded onto a hard disk. If you can operate a VCR, this is a piece of cake. Random access, simple editing (zap out commercials, trim, merge, etc) and can burn to a DVD. Of course, it's a DVD player as well.

Only bad thing is the price which has come down but still isn't low.

I also use it to do transfers of my DV tape recordings.

i saw this LG 160GB dvd/hdd recorder and very intrigue because it's quite cheap at 600++. it even has hdmi output and 12 in 1 card reader. the competing product like pioneer and panny is selling this at 1000++ with those features in. i'm afraid there's a catch here like stability,etc. any advise???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    tt one is called internal DVD burner

you can get DVD recorder information at www.vcdhelp.com
    that's the reason for the question mark

for the DVD HDD Recorder, i cannot help

I own a LG DVD 80GB recorder. Only bad experience was that the device was a little dumb at first because it could not tell the total recording time if the time runs over the midnight hour. Sent back to the service centre about 2 times before they changed a new set for me. The new set now runs perfectly so I'm sort of satisfied with the final outcome anyway. Quite a budget and good brand to buy, maybe just my luck that I got a faulty set from the start. Then again if you say $600+ for a 160GB version, why not?

But got to tell you that it is not able to record "everything". What do I mean? Direct from TV no problem but if you rent DVDs and want to record it in for later viewing so that you return your DVDs faster, you might not be able to because most rental DVDs have a copyright function that does not allow your HDD recorder to record it into the HDD. Would be most useful for all the TV show you are missing or creating DVDs from you video cam.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    i saw this LG 160GB dvd/hdd recorder and very intrigue because it's quite cheap at 600++. it even has hdmi output and 12 in 1 card reader. the competing product like pioneer and panny is selling this at 1000++ with those features in. i'm afraid there's a catch here like stability,etc. any advise???

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Sounds like a good buy. I have been using a 80GB LG. Sweet device. Much smaller & slimmer than my first DVD recorder.

I had the same initial apprehension with the LG. Serving me well. Can also add on extended warranties that the big stores offer - $100+ to extend to a total of 3 years

Hi CYAW,

Does it mean BBB LG for me? Really no problems encountered? May i know the model you're using?

Check that it will handle DIVX +/-

A friend of mine bought a DVD recorder with 120G hard drive and tuner. He was disapointed to find it didn't do both types of DIVX.

It was something along the lines that his movies were in Divx + and the unit only recognised Divx -

I don't use one of these units but I believe Divx can be an issue to look into

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Panasonic is the way to go, with me for 3~4years

Have a first gen Phillips DVD recorder at home and the latest pioneer one that is both a DVD recorder and HDD recorder. Lots of improvement in recording technology. Data is clearer now