Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: b&w vs color then convert to b&w

Default Re: b&w vs color then convert to b&w

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    and since you do that and have a home studio, why not create in a corner your home dark room.....
    darkroom?cannot lah.i like photography but i dont like to do developing.
    moreover i have you the grandmaster of development.so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    what you need is a bigger digital camera - it is called a scanner
    that's the bloody problem.i dont have a scanner.
    and i got a feeling after i scan, i'll get comments like 'wat kind of lousy scanner u using'?'reso not high enough.!'

capture in colour and convert to BW...definitely can give you the most control over your final image...and no messy spills

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    and i got a feeling after i scan, i'll get comments like 'wat kind of lousy scanner u using'?'reso not high enough.!'
    You can get the developers to scan for you... 16 base...

Blog Entries

the resolution of a scanner is higher than your camera
    very much higher

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the resolution of a scanner is higher than your camera
    very much higher
    yah, but resolution of 35mm film not that much higher than D200...you end up with hugh unwieldly scanned files where you can study film grain but not much additional detail...along with of course the other stuff associated with shooting film

thanks very much for detailed explanation.

i see the bnw on computer.not on prints.
    i do not know what a fibre toned print is.please enlighten me.

i'm always open to invitations.and i love opening doors to visit the room's contents.however, if i find i'm not interested after looking in the room, then i'll leave the room then.

seems like shooting prints is still the way to go for bnw.
    ok ok....my film slr is digging at me liao

seems like shooting prints is still the way to go for bnw.
    ok ok....my film slr is digging at me liao
    it is a paradigm shift and a necessary one.

if you really like shooting B&W, get a cheap film camera body and just load up some kodak 400 tri-x...

really.. no matter how good your PP is, whether u shoot raw etc... its very hard to match the look of true B&W film. ive tried. i bought all kinds of conversion programs. tried just about every conversoin method around. but still nothing can compare IMO. thats why i now have 2 film bodies for shooting B&W film in addition to my dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    if you really like shooting B&W, get a cheap film camera body and just load up some kodak 400 tri-x...

really.. no matter how good your PP is, whether u shoot raw etc... its very hard to match the look of true B&W film. ive tried. i bought all kinds of conversion programs. tried just about every conversoin method around. but still nothing can compare IMO. thats why i now have 2 film bodies for shooting B&W film in addition to my dslr.
    thanks for input.ok.
    next time i shoot side by side with my film cam for bnw.
    i promise.

thanks for input.ok.
    next time i shoot side by side with my film cam for bnw.
    i promise.
    mmmhhhh.... and who is going to develop and enlarge your takes... you will find that this is not an easy task.... and and dont forget to get the really big digital ortega was talking about...

mmmhhhh.... and who is going to develop and enlarge your takes... you will find that this is not an easy task.... and and dont forget to get the really big digital ortega was talking about...
    then HOW?aiyo!

whats the problem with developing. riceball, ruby all can develop. heck, its not that hard to even DIY, and a lot more satisfying.

as for enlarging, again, you can go to riceball or ruby. DIY. or scan and print. even scan and print from a negative B&W is better than a digitally converted one.

ok, here's another question...

assuming i shoot a scene(BNW), with 105dc with d200.and i like what i see on my lcd screen.

i change the lens over to my f5, and shoot the same scene, exposure, iso all similar.send for development.

other than perspective diff (FF vs 1.5x crop), will i expect to see 'similar' photos?assuming i use H3(iso 3200) on the d200?

assumign i print both out.will you be able to tell which is shot by film, which one by digital?

yes.. because one is film one is still digital. its not the lens (although that has some bearing) its the film.

anyway, for the best B&W conversion u should never shoot in B&W mode on ur camera. shoot raw, then do the conversion in photoshop using channel mixer or one of the other B&W conversion methods.

don't know what b/w conversions have been tried, but from my experience, have done b/w conversions for exhibition b/w prints for my former boss who is old school film trained from Paris and no complains from him ...and as for the many of us who did not study old school film photography, will there be a diff either?

is there a SIGNIFICANT difference between the 2?
    if i change my settings to B&W in my cam and take the shot as oppose to shoot in color then convert via cs2.

please advise.
    not much diff IMHO. but then i just do a simple desaturation and adjustment of gamma and contrast in irfanview to convert my colour pics into b&w. an example of a pic shot in colour i converted to b&w fairly recently;

beri nice lei(from layman pov since i dunno bnw)

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    whats the problem with developing. riceball, ruby all can develop. heck, its not that hard to even DIY, and a lot more satisfying.

as for enlarging, again, you can go to riceball or ruby. DIY. or scan and print. even scan and print from a negative B&W is better than a digitally converted one.
    i agree DIY is the best, but our Jeanie does not like the chemicals....
    While developing by others is a minor thing, enlarging is something else. Where you like a medium paper i like a hard one, you prefer it dark, i prefer it light.... Those were the times of the exposure strips and playing around with gradation paper....

is there a way to do this digitally as well?

Zaren: great shot!
    Last edited by Michael; 26th January 2007 at 06:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12