Default Re: Need Advice On buying D40

Quote Originally Posted by Zhiliang View Post
    Oh dear, i just realised that the D40

1. Can only shoot basic quality JPEG when shooting JPEG with RAW
    2. Lack of bracketing
    3. No depth of field preview
    It's a VERY basic camera...

Zhiliang, alternatively, you can consider Pentax K100D. Come with shake-reduction, and low price.

Oh dear, i just realised that the D40

1. Can only shoot basic quality JPEG when shooting JPEG with RAW
    2. Lack of bracketing
    3. No depth of field preview
    1. download a program call image preview, it is able to extract jpg out of the RAW file(tho quality is still somewhat like basic)
    2. just use EV+/- or manual mode.
    3. eh shoot and check and shoot again?

Quote Originally Posted by thamws View Post
    Zhiliang, alternatively, you can consider Pentax K100D. Come with shake-reduction, and low price.
    Is the Pentax a good model to start off with? Sorry to ask, but can DSLR of lets say Pentax but using Nikon lens? Is it compatible?

No, Pentax cameras cannot use Nikon lens, but it also has 3rd party lens. I've no experience with Pentax, but I like the specs and the price. Have talked to 1 or 2 more seasoned camera users, they also seemed quite positive with the Pentax camera, although they preferred K10D instead. The good thing about these 2 Pentax cameras are that all your lens will be image-stabilised. No need to buy the much more expensive VR version, as in Nikon's case. Dpreview's review of the camera also resulted in "highly recommended". Shouldn't be too bad.

Hey, i just saw some of the pictures that are posted by users of the K10D camera. Very nice. Is the price difference and image quality difference a lot comparing the K10D and the K100D? Does image quality and sharpness depends more on the camera or more on the lens (besides skill of course)?

I don't think I'm the person to answer this question of yours. As I'm not considering K10D (main reason is its size), I've not seen much of its image quality (but definitely on par with many big names). I've checked those of K100D though. I like it. Noise level is manageable even up to ISO1600. At ISO3200 (which D40 doesn't have), it's acceptable. I only wish it has lower ISO (can be overcome by ND filter) and rear-curtain flash.

Oh yes, price is about $1100 for K100D kit and $1500 for K10D kit. Plus and minus depends on where you buy.

Thanks so much, certainly worth checking out. Am wondering if buying by installment lets say from MS, do we need a credit card, or minimum pay or guarantor?

Can buy by instalment from MS? Didn't know that. Pls let me know some details if you find out. Thanks.

Actually i saw it on the brochures and i remember some ppl mentioning on this forum too. I let you know once i got some concrete details? Anyone here buy from installment b4? Or from other shops?

Can buy by instalment from MS? Didn't know that. Pls let me know some details if you find out. Thanks.
    I just called them, seems that the rate is 5%. And also need credit card, no other cards. Also depends on your bank for other necessary requirements.

Why not get a Konica Minolta 5D if you really want to get a DSLR, it has a build in image stablizer in the body too. Like the Pentax, virtually all your lens has VR. A second hand one cost less than $700 in the B&S and there a whole lot of Minolta, Sony, Tamron, Sigma and other lenses to chose from. When you upgrade in the future, you can even use these lenses on the Sony bodies.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

I'm not sure if the time is ripe for Zhiliang. I think you don't too. He has to decide. I think there are people who envy too much the DSLR (I'm becoming one myself), but maybe, S6500FD being such a new camera, Zhiliang may not have spent enough time with it. I'm just proposing to him that he may like to spend more time with it before upgrading. I would not want to decide for Zhiliang whether the time is ripe or not.
    there are situations wher a dSLR might give its owner the desire and confidence to really go out there and shoot photos... so, if one is able to afford a dSLR, by all means go ahead... =)

Is the Pentax a good model to start off with? Sorry to ask, but can DSLR of lets say Pentax but using Nikon lens? Is it compatible?
    strictly my personal opinion,

stick with the 2 big-timers, namely Canon and Nikon

you won't go wrong with either choice....

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    there are situations wher a dSLR might give its owner the desire and confidence to really go out there and shoot photos... so, if one is able to afford a dSLR, by all means go ahead... =)
    there are also times where dSLR is a " "

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    strictly my personal opinion,

stick with the 2 big-timers, namely Canon and Nikon

you won't go wrong with either choice....
    My Sentiments exactly. They are not necessarily the cheapest, but they are still the 2 major brands around. There must be a reason.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Hi,

I am currently using a prosumer camera in the Fujifilm S6500fd. Having the idea to get a DSLR but not willing to spend too much on a more expensive one, i was just wondering, is there a huge difference between features, image quality, lens between my prosumer and the D40 which is a entry level DSLR, that its worth upgrading to that? Thanks

Zhiliang

Hi Zhiliang,

The Fuji s6500 is a very capable camera. Why do you feel you need a DSLR

As the saying goes, "it is not the camera, it is the eye behind it".

If you KNOW you should be using a DSLR, you would be looking higher than a D40
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Thank you everyone for the advices. Actually i have been using my S6500fd for only less than two months. Have tried out much of the functions inside and i have some concerns. Again all these are only my own opinions, and they may not be necessarily true. Forgive me if i am wrong. These are some of the factors that prompt me to want to try out a DSLR.

1. The sharpness of the pictures. For example, taking night shots on a reliable tripod and with timer, but the picture quality seems to lack the detail and fineness of some of the photos taken on a DSLR.

2. The short focal length of my camera. I think its about 6.2-66mm plus or around there which makes short depth of field difficult unless i go really near to the subject and when i am at the end of my 10.7 times zoom.

3. The lack of depth of field preview.

4. No image stabalizer on my camera.

5. Would like to have a camera that does a bit of post processing like the Nikon features of filters, D-lighting etc. on the camera.

6. A optical viewfinder instead of the EVF on mine now.

7. Slow focusing and also slow taking of continunous burst shots.

My main concerns are actually the first 2 points. Other than that, i believe my S6500fd serves quite many purposes. The thing i am wondering on is the image performance that is different on my prosumer as compared to the entry-level DSLR. Is there a wide gap between the image quality?

But of course, there come the other cons of the DSLR like the cost of additional lens, the maintenance needed as compared to a fixed lens, the weight. I would like to get the Nikon D80 but it is still a little costly for me on investing on a new hobby as yet.

Thanks so much
    Hi Pablo,

Wanted a change because of these reasons. Also notice that the Fujifilm6500 has a very aggressive noise reduction system, such that much of the detail and sharpness is gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast