Thread: GST rules

Default GST rules

I am curious.

If my brother buy for me a lens in US and ship it to me here as a "gift", must I pay for GST? No need right?

The 5 percent + all the shipping fees is getting on my nerves.

Default Re: GST rules

If the value is less than S$400, you don't have to pay GST if I remember correctly. It doesn't matter if its labelled a "gift" or not. If its taxable, they will still tax you.

Deregistered

cost of product will have to be declare to custom also...

Arrow Re: GST rules

You don't have to pay the Singapore GST as it is declared as a gift by your brother.

HTH.

If buy anything from overseas whether it's carried in by you personally or thru' the post, your personal entitlement is S$300, the balance of which is subject to GST. Declaring it as a gift is not going to help you escape the GST.

As what I heard from my lecturer, gift or not, as long as it is taxable, they will tax you.

more so if it is alcohol or tobacco

Just a guide here. Your personal entitlement, when you buy anything overseas, where you carry in yourself thru' the checkpoint or by post, is:

Less than 24 hours- S$50
    More than 24 hours but less than 48 hours - S$150
    More than 48 hours - S$300

Anything in excess of your entitlement is subject to the usual GST.

Depends...

If your bro send to you as gift and never declare the amount, then u are not liable, and also no insurance will be covered as well since no price on it, if anything wrong, u in the losing situation.

If your bro send to you as gift and declare the full amount, then you are liable for tax as well, and insurance will be covered if he paid for the insurance.

If your bro send to you as gift and declare 400 bucks inclusive of transport, then you will not be liable, but u can only claim 400 including transport if anything is wrong.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Sending it by courier would likely bypass the usual problems ... if the value of the items warrant it ...

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    If buy anything from overseas whether it's carried in by you personally or thru' the post, your personal entitlement is S$300, the balance of which is subject to GST. Declaring it as a gift is not going to help you escape the GST.
    but how to differentiate the new stuff and other personal stuff if it's hand carried?
    e.g. if you put the new lens together with other lenses in your camera bag

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    but how to differentiate the new stuff and other personal stuff if it's hand carried?
    e.g. if you put the new lens together with other lenses in your camera bag
    carry no box, mail back receipts......

actually if the custom wants to KL they can...ask u the produce reciepts of item purchased.
    if not from Singapore show proof GST was paid......

I guess they reckon from a practical point of view, "personnal consumption" is ok but don't over do it.....

if delcared as gift, GST will not be charged, but you cannot buy insurance for it.

if not, the limit is up to SG$400. after that its taxable..

I must say, "I am out of my depth here", but I might put forward an idea that might work

If you know of someone that owns a business and is prepaired to do a favour for you ...

Can it be mailed to that business (insured for the full amount) but sent for "calibration".

Would this get around the tax issue

I don't think customs will be checking to see if it was sent back "calibrated"

Just a thought....
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I must say, "I am out of my depth here", but I might put forward an idea that might work

If you know of someone that owns a business and is prepaired to do a favour for you ...

Can it be mailed to that business (insured for the full amount) but sent for "calibration".

Would this get around the tax issue

I don't think customs will be checking to see if it was sent back "calibrated"

Just a thought....
    Tax man not so blur, their enforcement unit beefed up. GST avoidance is big issue. They can easily ask the business for documentation, etc. Secondly, the item might need to pass thru Customs before being released to you and could be subject to customs duty.
    Last edited by creampuff; 22nd January 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Sending it by courier would likely bypass the usual problems ... if the value of the items warrant it ...
    Not really, FedEx and other couriers will pay the GST due for the package upfront if the amount is not big and claim the amount back from you later.

Some info http://www.customs.gov.sg/download/Tips_travellers.pdf
    http://www.customs.gov.sg/download/PAX-leaflet.pdf
    Last edited by creampuff; 22nd January 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Arrow Re: GST rules

You've to pay the GST and an administration fee of $10 IIRC, using FEDEX, UPS and DHL when your package is more than S$400.

There is no administration fee if you are using Singpost and the mailman will collect the GST from you.

If the declared value of the package is less than S$400 there is no need for GST.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Not really, FedEx and other couriers will pay the GST due for the package upfront if the amount is not big and claim the amount back from you later.

Some info http://www.customs.gov.sg/download/Tips_travellers.pdf
    http://www.customs.gov.sg/download/PAX-leaflet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Depends...

If your bro send to you as gift and never declare the amount, then u are not liable, and also no insurance will be covered as well since no price on it, if anything wrong, u in the losing situation.

If your bro send to you as gift and declare the full amount, then you are liable for tax as well, and insurance will be covered if he paid for the insurance.

If your bro send to you as gift and declare 400 bucks inclusive of transport, then you will not be liable, but u can only claim 400 including transport if anything is wrong.
    this is all true.
    to add on.
    if you declare 400, and if they open it during custom inspection, they may tax more based on their re-vaulation

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs View Post
    this is all true.
    to add on.
    if you declare 400, and if they open it during custom inspection, they may tax more based on their re-vaulation
    ya, and they will do by multiply... they have this huge catalog book which have prices on it, so its up to them to do the check.

its up to them to charge you for tax evasion...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

This is all so complicated..is there anywhere we can read FAQ or something from official website?

Quote Originally Posted by duallies View Post
    This is all so complicated..is there anywhere we can read FAQ or something from official website?
    got any official website from hell that have FAQs to cheat death?