Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what advantage does citizens has over PR?

Default Re: what advantage does citizens has over PR?

Quote Originally Posted by zeith View Post
    sorry to hear that.. your friend is not patriotic, i would say.. he's coming back to fight along side with his brothers because his loved ones and buddies are till in here?
    does it mean he will not bother if none of them are in here?
    We all know Israel is a warring nation.
    There was a study conducted to find out what their soldiers think when fighting a battle and what makes them fight a battle.

No 1 reason – they fight for bubby next to them
    No 2 reason – they fight to protect their families
    No 3 reason – they fight for freedom and security

I am very sorry that they do not fight for Orchard Road and the parking lot under your HDB.

Does this answer your questions?

I tink the question can answer itself if phrased differently.

What advantage does Sg have over the other countries that they want to be Sg's PR.

your understanding of patriotism and mine is different..
    Care to share your understanding with us?

your understanding of patriotism and mine is different..
    That's because you are born here, raised here and tied your future to this place.

What if you are not born here, not raised here and neither is your future greatly affected by here... but you still a citizen here... how is "patriotism" defined then.

Some Singaporean perspective on loyalty I found on the Internet:

http://www.singaporeangle.com/2006/0...rspective.html

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    I was reading the ST article yesterday which was summarizing the adv for being a citizen over PR and was quite shocked at how little it was....

Did anyone read that? So is it worth 2.5 PRIME years of our life to become a citizen? Can you like siam NS and then come back as a PR?

Seriously, why would anyone want to be a citizen? Any ideas? Surely there must be something ST left out..
    well.. you get your IC in PINK which some might like it better than blue?

and no.. after you give up your PR it is highly unlikely you'll get it back. My friend gave up his PR because he was a "2nd generation" PR holder (his dad was first). I wanted to complete his uni studies overseas before serving NS but permission was not granted. So he gave up his PR status. When he tried to reapply after his studies, they required him to do NS the first thing he returns. He gave up and went back to his homeland and is now damnedest rich...
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post

What advantage does Sg have over the other countries that they want to be Sg's PR.
    For some, they really like the hot weather here, cos it's damned cold over thier place. Others love the strict laws and the tight hold the govt has over their people. Not to mention the great press free we have here.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Oh this one is easy!
    The advantage is....being a PR is almost like a citizen in Singapore.
    Not much difference or rather..the difference is minimal.

and that explains our huge increase of population to 4 millions despite newspaper reporting low birth rates year after year.

I think i score an A1 for this question.

Discussion of such usually turns into the question of patriotism of citizens, patriotism of PRs, will you fight in a war ? will you die to Singapore etc etc...

Do you think this is caused by the insecurity of not knowing what defines a Singaporean Citizen ?

Why would you care if the PRs will fight along with you if you're CERTAIN that every other Singaporean is going to be fighting along you ? I'm sure there is a way to discuss the topic of "What advantage does citizens has over PR" without going in to the issue of dragging up the issue of loyalty.

This line of questioning and argument rings with the naivety of the "will you die for me to prove your love for me" question, except when you drag PRs and other foreigners in the country, the question turns into "will your father's brother die for me to prove your love for me"

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Oh this one is easy!
    The advantage is....being a PR is almost like a citizen in Singapore.
    Not much difference or rather..the difference is minimal.

and that explains our huge increase of population to 4 millions despite newspaper reporting low birth rates year after year.

I think i score an A1 for this question.

Hahaha.. I like your reply... but you still get F9 cuz you didn't answer the question at all.

Read the question carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    For some, they really like the hot weather here, cos it's damned cold over thier place. Others love the strict laws and the tight hold the govt has over their people. Not to mention the great press free we have here.
    But there are much more better "warm" countries like Maldives and Africa and Brazil... why Sg?

Being a PR would also subject yourself to the strict laws and tight "controls" by govt.

With the internet, what free press you are tokking about? Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon View Post
    Discussion of such usually turns into the question of patriotism of citizens, patriotism of PRs, will you fight in a war ? will you die to Singapore etc etc...

Do you think this is caused by the insecurity of not knowing what defines a Singaporean Citizen ?

Why would you care if the PRs will fight along with you if you're CERTAIN that every other Singaporean is going to be fighting along you ? I'm sure there is a way to discuss the topic of "What advantage does citizens has over PR" without going in to the issue of dragging up the issue of loyalty.

This line of questioning and argument rings with the naivety of the "will you die for me to prove your love for me" question, except when you drag PRs and other foreigners in the country, the question turns into "will your father's brother die for me to prove your love for me"

Unfortunately, as a Singaporean, fighting and dying for the country isn't a question of loyalty... it's a DUTY.

I think its ok to have PRs. just that the numbers should be controlled better. And at least be strigent about who is coming in. Prs add to our society in advantageous ways but there are those that add in a negative way as well. Maybe the problem is that our government doesnt weed out too cautiously in who we accept?

I'm from the lower class income grp and seeing how "fair" my parents are treated isnt really too fair to me. they're in their 50s. they still need to bring money home. But no on wants them. Why? cos "I can offer a (wat ever nationality) lesser, have them work more and harder. so why should i employ u?"

just that some ppl who are more well off dun seem to see that cos they dun need to worry abt it.

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon View Post
    Yep, you are right.

I believe the threadstarter has some political agenda.
    I believe it is a conspiracy that he is trying to discord the relationships between the PRs and citizens.

He is jeopardising our harmonious community.
    His question is infectious to everyone.

Hahaha.. I like your reply... but you still get F9 cuz you didn't answer the question at all.
    Read the question carefully.

I don't??
    I expected.

Only the elites will know the answer.
    Afterall, they are ones who created a flood-gate policy that ends up somone created this thread to discuss with.

Yep, you are right.

I believe the threadstarter has some political agenda.
    I believe it is a conspiracy that he is trying to discord the relationships between the PRs and citizens.

He is jeopardising our harmonious community.
    His question is infectious to everyone.

hmm.... ok, that's your opinion, not mine.

I think the question it is a valid question which Singaporeans need to confront.

You Pes C or E one izzit?
    How come you only wasted 2.5 years?
    What's with this PES C or E thingy? I was PES C in the Army and I don't feel that I had wasted any of my 2 years plus a few months as a storeman.

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam View Post
    What's with this PES C or E thingy? I was PES C in the Army and I don't feel that I had wasted any of my 2 years plus a few months as a storeman.
    Pardon me for using the wrong word.
    So you feel good invested your 2 years plus a few months as a storeman.

Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Just lightening the mood. =D

But maybe I should, hehehe. Even my punctuation is breaking down, if you notice.

Seriously though, it is my personal belief that there is no reason why protectionism should be enforced. Until there is proof that things lie in the favour of the opposite side, all the arguments presented so far could just as easily apply to locals.

Are you telling me that PRs will NEVER grow attached to Singapore, or that citizens are absolutely in awe and love Singapore to the extent of dying for her? I sincerely doubt so. I've said this elsewhere regarding such topics, reasoning and a cool, calm mind is required when addressing such issues. If one can come up with stuff like "foreign students can get scholarship and bursaries but local students cannot", I do recall quite a number of newspaper articles announcing that many, many Edusave scholarships and bursaries were given out, and university scholarships are more often than not, given to citizens. You can check it out yourself.
    uncle, you conveniently missed my arguemen so I am putting it down here AGAIN for you

? What talk you? It is in the government's self interest to practise protectionism for its citizen. Hello? ultimately, it is the citizens who does the VOTING. In fact, the PRIMARY aim of the government is to stay in power. To accomplish this, there are many methods like force of arms, terror OR keeping the citizens happy.

Notice that the PRs are not directly involved in the equation. I am sure the *** government's efforts are all directed to keeping the citizens happy. There is nothing to gain for them directly in keeping the PRs happy
    Last edited by wind30; 22nd January 2007 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Is NWS a lousy university?
    It is definately not a top foreign university. As to whether it is a lousy university, dunno as I don't know the uni well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast