Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what advantage does citizens has over PR?

Default Re: what advantage does citizens has over PR?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Does it matter what I answer?

The preformed impression in your mind, like the usual local who refuses to see logic where it is due

Is that I am a PR who wants to defend himself, for whatever reason

No, I am an Eskimo

Come build igloos with me
    yes you ought to go back to your igloo, you've been out in the sun too long and becoming ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    You Pes C or E one izzit?
    How come you only wasted 2.5 years?

Me lagi best...spending my meaningful prime age 2.5yrs + 10 years reservist.
    Sometimes failed IPPT..have to go for R.T for phase 1 and 2.
    Invest more time.

Why would anyone wanna be a citizen?
    Let me listed down all the advantages.

1. We have a whiter than white government. A honest government with honest politicians. (provided you wear white uniform..if you wear blue...you are considered dishonest politician.)

2. We get our progress package whenever there is a GST increase.

3. We have NS to train us to become TOUGH MAN. And yearly reservist to monitor our health status.

4. We have a world class transportation, medical service that is greatly subsidised by the government despite even cramming like sardines in MRT or 2-3 hours queue at polyclinics.

5. We recieve huge HDB subsidy but ends up paying heavy home loans which no authority monitoring the bank irregular interest rates.

6. We get our lifts, walkways upgraded if we cast our votes to one dominant party.

7. We have a government who gives workfare bonus to the poor , so that these poor are motivated to work for a low pay but long hours working conditions.

8. Our government are considerate enough to shrink the HDB flats 20-35% smaller but we have to pay a higher price for it than the existing old flats.
    So that we can clean our house in a shorter time.

9. Our local students got as much as 50% education subsidy
    while
    the foreigners got 40% subsidy + bursary + scholarships + PR status + a chance to work in Singapore.

10. We are a small country to have Minister Mentor, Senior Minister & Prime Minister positions
    unlike
    bigger countries like Japan, US, UK.....only 1 president, 1 prime minister.

I'm proud to be a Happy Singaporean.
    Are you happy?

Sounds cynical... but I like it...

Just lightening the mood. =D

But maybe I should, hehehe. Even my punctuation is breaking down, if you notice.

Seriously though, it is my personal belief that there is no reason why protectionism should be enforced. Until there is proof that things lie in the favour of the opposite side, all the arguments presented so far could just as easily apply to locals.

Are you telling me that PRs will NEVER grow attached to Singapore, or that citizens are absolutely in awe and love Singapore to the extent of dying for her? I sincerely doubt so. I've said this elsewhere regarding such topics, reasoning and a cool, calm mind is required when addressing such issues. If one can come up with stuff like "foreign students can get scholarship and bursaries but local students cannot", I do recall quite a number of newspaper articles announcing that many, many Edusave scholarships and bursaries were given out, and university scholarships are more often than not, given to citizens. You can check it out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    If those students CANNOT get into local unversity, I REALLY REALLY DOUBT that they can "kick ass in top foreigner universities". Or you have a very low standard for "top foreigner university".
    I am not getting into the debate of this thread.

Just a clarification that there are many reasons why a local student cannot get into a local university.

If those students CANNOT get into local unversity, I REALLY REALLY DOUBT that they can "kick ass in top foreigner universities". Or you have a very low standard for "top foreigner university".

Seriously, I have graduated from NUS 10 years back and I still remember how the "foriegn students" have spurred me to do better. Of course there are some stupid ones, but quite a number of the top students in my year are from china or India or Malaysia, etc.
    May I share a true life account with you?

A young man, from a comfortable family does not like studying.
    He spent minimal effort in his poly days and always got a B- grade.
    After his NS, he joined the workforce. Then did he realise that paper qualification is more important than capability. Therefore, he applied for NUS and NUT. Both universities turned him down because he does not has a merit cert from his poly.
    He apply to NSW Australia. He graduated with a first class honor in Engineering.
    He stays on in Australia after he was conferred.
    I asked him why he did not want to come home.
    He told me, he was rejected by his own country and it was Australia who gave him a chance. Why should he return?

Is NWS a lousy university?

The case of this young man is not isolated, many were rejected by Singapore Universities, found their way overseas and never return.

Me too, a late starter, I return home becasue my parents love me very much.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 21st January 2007 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post

After his NS, he joined the workforce. Then did he realise that paper qualification is more important than capability. Therefore, he applied for NUS and NUT. Both universities turned him down because he does not has a merit cert from his poly.
    He apply to NSW Australia. He graduated with a first class honor in Engineering.
    He told me, he was rejected by his own country and it was Australia who gave him a chance. Why should he return?

The case of this young man is not isolated, many were rejected by Singapore Universities, found their way overseas and never return.
    well... talents are mobile in today's world. When u have talents, red carpets everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    well... talents are mobile in today's world. When u have talents, red carpets everywhere.
    our talents have left and are leaving.

the untalented amongst us are left behind, but are unhappy.

isn't something seriously wrong somewhere? and Singaporeans are still being blamed by our own kind and others as being lazy, whiny and over dependent.

what a joke.

I got another NS friend, who did B+ for his poly grades. However his 'O' levels Chinese was crap and so was the average grade for 'O' levels results. (that was more that a decade ago). So NTU rejected him.

Lucky for him (parents are rich). He went to UCB (Berkeley) and got a GPA of 3.7.
    What happened to him:
    1. He getting about 120k USD annum at a co. in Connecticut
    2. He's got a green card and is considering U.S. citizenship (have to give up SG citizenship).
    3. All these years, he's only back to Singapore machiam like a visitor.

Now he thanks NTU for rejecting him.

Me too, a late starter, I return home becasue my parents love me very much.

Well.. The answer is already in your post. If he studied hard during his poly days all of this would not have happened.

Btw, rejected from university application is very different from rejected by his own country.

Quote Originally Posted by zeith View Post
    Well.. The answer is already in your post. If he studied hard during his poly days all of this would not have happened.

Btw, rejected from university application is very different from rejected by his own country.
    Well.... if he was accepted by local uni. Things could go better..
    He could be selling insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    our talents have left and are leaving.

the untalented amongst us are left behind, but are unhappy.

isn't something seriously wrong somewhere? and Singaporeans are still being blamed by our own kind and others as being lazy, whiny and over dependent.

what a joke.
    It's not that bad, please.

Once again, overgeneralisation, there isn't as bad a talent drain as compared to what is happening to some other countries - like India for instance.

Well - we all whine, but Singaporeans -do- do it with less elegance and.. backbone compared to most other countries, really.

I was reading the ST article yesterday which was summarizing the adv for being a citizen over PR and was quite shocked at how little it was....

Did anyone read that? So is it worth 2.5 PRIME years of our life to become a citizen? Can you like siam NS and then come back as a PR?

Seriously, why would anyone want to be a citizen? Any ideas? Surely there must be something ST left out..

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that being a citizen, we are entitled to be taxi drivers. This is exclusive to us. Phew...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=147

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    I got another NS friend, who did B+ for his poly grades. However his 'O' levels Chinese was crap and so was the average grade for 'O' levels results. (that was more that a decade ago). So NTU rejected him.

Lucky for him (parents are rich). He went to UCB (Berkeley) and got a GPA of 3.7.
    What happened to him:
    1. He getting about 120k USD annum at a co. in Connecticut
    2. He's got a green card and is considering U.S. citizenship (have to give up SG citizenship).
    3. All these years, he's only back to Singapore machiam like a visitor.

Now he thanks NTU for rejecting him.

Well, like I said, many similar cases out there.
    But he told me one thing, he will only come back when Singapore goes into a war.
    Why? Why come back when everyone else is leaving?
    His answer is; his loved ones and buddies are till in Singapore. He will come back to protect his love ones and fight along side with his brothers.

I seriously hope that people will understand the differences between a local and a visitor.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 21st January 2007 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    It's not that bad, please.

Once again, overgeneralisation, there isn't as bad a talent drain as compared to what is happening to some other countries - like India for instance.

Well - we all whine, but Singaporeans -do- do it with less elegance and.. backbone compared to most other countries, really.
    right, it's not that bad. time for you to go out there and listen to Singaporeans who have left. are there really that many Singaporeans returning after making it out there? remember, we're not like India, every person matters. in India, you just need less than 1% of the population to be excellent professionals and they can do alot.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    I am not getting into the debate of this thread.

Just a clarification that there are many reasons why a local student cannot get into a local university.
    Hello there, good to know you are still around.

But he told me one thing, he will only come back when Singapore goes into a war.
    Why? Why come back when everyone else is leaving?
    His answer is; his loved ones and buddies are till in Singapore. He will come back to protect his love ones and fight along side with his brothers.

I seriously hope that people will understand the differences between a local and a visitor.
    sorry to hear that.. your friend is not patriotic, i would say.. he's coming back to fight along side with his brothers because his loved ones and buddies are till in here?
    does it mean he will not bother if none of them are in here?

Why? Why come back when everyone is leaving?

I praise your friend for his integrity.
    For my friend's case, he claimed he's sponsoring his family to move over with him once he gets his citizenship. After all, his parents are retired and he believes that the U.S. would make a better place for them.

Quote Originally Posted by zeith View Post
    sorry to hear that.. your friend is not patriotic, i would say.. he's coming back to fight along side with his brothers because his loved ones and buddies are till in here?
    does it mean he will not bother if none of them are in here?
    I guess that's the whole idea of patrotism. People make the basis of family and family consitute the basis of a country. We defend our country for our beliefs and loved ones.
    Would you protect our country because you love Orchard road? For SG, we do not have a common belief unlike the USA which "freedom" and "rights" consitute their goals for defences and "invasions".

Saying so, for most of us, our ancestors are from somewhere around the region. Would you go protect China, India or Malaysia if they are under foreign threats?
    Last edited by Hoky; 21st January 2007 at 11:07 PM.

I praise your friend for his integrity.
    For my friend's case, he claimed he's sponsoring his family to move over with him once he gets his citizenship. After all, his parents are retired and he believes that the U.S. would make a better place for them.

Young Chap, no problem can survive anywhere.
    For old folks, usually it is old freinds, relatives, foods and most importantly sense of belonging will hold them back.
    I wish them well.

I guess that's the whole idea of patrotism. People make the basis of family and family consitute the basis of a country. We defend our country for our beliefs and loved ones.
    Would you protect our country because you love Orchard road? For SG, we do not have a common belief unlike the USA which "freedom" and "rights" consitute their goals for defences and "invasions".

Saying so, for most of us, our ancestors are from somewhere around the region. Would you go protect China, India or Malaysia if they are under foreign threats?
    your understanding of patriotism and mine is different..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast