Thread: Camera Hood

Default Lens Hood

How does a lens hood helps in photography? It comes in different size and shapes, does that makes any difference in the photos we take?
    Last edited by Ichibawa; 21st January 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Default Re: Camera Hood

You mean lens hood? The purpose of a lens hood is to cut off unnecessary light from the various angles which will cause flare.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Oh ya... lens hood. How do you determine which one to use? Some are cone shape some are flower shaped.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ichibawa View Post
    Oh ya... lens hood. How do you determine which one to use? Some are cone shape some are flower shaped.
    use those that come with the lens???

they have been design to the best spec to prevent flare already...unless u can find something better...

When u buy the lens, it usually comes with a hood (unless the lens is 2nd hand and the original owner lost the hood). If you don't have the hood just go to the store and tell them your lens model. They should be able to sell you the correct hood for your lens.

So (for eg. my Sigma 17-70) comes with flower lens hood, i can't use any cone ones?

Deregistered

So (for eg. my Sigma 17-70) comes with flower lens hood, i can't use any cone ones?
    you can...if u can find a matching one...

most wide angle lens use flower shape lens hood... this is to avoid vignetting when at the wide side

You can use your hand to shade strong light to entering your lens. Lens hood is more convenient.

Regards,
    Arto.

Buying a lens hood for third-party lens can be both frustrating and expensive.

Alternatively, you can DIY one yourself using good quality matte black vinyl sheets (available from any good art supply store). You can download the diagram for your Sigma 17-70 here.
    Last edited by photobum; 22nd January 2007 at 10:25 AM.

Would like to ask a newbie question. I have been taking photos indoor with low light conditions without the lens hood. If I install the lens hood, would the photos turn out better or worse?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by altis72 View Post
    Would like to ask a newbie question. I have been taking photos indoor with low light conditions without the lens hood. If I install the lens hood, would the photos turn out better or worse?
    no diff...

dun worry...

just shoot...

but if you have a filter infront...beware of flares...
    Last edited by westwest1; 22nd January 2007 at 11:57 PM.

You should not.