Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice.... esp from family people....

Default Re: Need advice.... esp from family people....

I don't own a Nikon, but I can definitely vouch for the Canon mount of the Tamron 17-50
    f2.8. Very sharp even wide open, and a wonderful range.

If you already have a Nikon kit lens (the 18-55 I assume), you're not going to very much better off with the Nikon 18-70, because the maximum aperture is still the same. Believe me, f2.8 makes all the difference in the world, in terms of being able to shoot indoors and being able to get a nice bokeh in the background, making the subjects in your images "pop". And being able to shoot with natural light rather than using a flash makes a very big difference in the quality of an image.

You will definitely want to get a wide zoom starting at 17mm, because the creative possibilities of a wider field of view are much greater than that of a fixed 50mm lens.

For what you will be getting, $600+ is very good value.
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 20th January 2007 at 04:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    I don't own a Nikon, but I can definitely vouch for the Canon mount of the Tamron 17-50
    f2.8. Very sharp even wide open, and a wonderful range.

If you already have a Nikon kit lens (the 18-55 I assume), you're not going to very much better off with the Nikon 18-70, because the maximum aperture is still the same. Believe me, f2.8 makes all the difference in the world, in terms of being able to shoot indoors and being able to get a nice bokeh in the background, making the subjects in your images "pop". And being able to shoot with natural light rather than using a flash makes a very big difference in the quality of an image.

You will definitely want to get a wide zoom starting at 17mm, because the creative possibilities of a wider field of view are much greater than that of a fixed 50mm lens.

For what you will be getting, $600+ is very good value.
    the 18-55 aperture at the tele-end is 5.6. 18-70 is 4.5...

yeah. 2.8 makes a world of difference for natural light photography. but, end of the day is whether does one need it, esp for the TS. $300 can get u a lot of pampers...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Its very worthwhile taking shots of your kids. I started photographing my kids 25 years ago, one roll of film each month till they were 8 years old and through the sequence you can see how they grow and change. I have since scanned all the photos / negatives and archived them onto DVD as a slide show and watching them. Its worth all the effort. Go for it!

Cheers
    that's so patient of you!

well i tink u really gotta work out your family finances...if u can make do with the kit and still get great pictures? why change? unless the new lens will insipire u take more photos of ya kid that is..

cheers

Talking Re: Need advice.... esp from family people....

Well.... I very much would like to get the Tamron lens...but after discussing with my wife, I have decided to give my son the priority for the $$$. Will get him a new stroller.... and maybe can bring my wife and son for a short holiday...

Oh well... I will have to wait till I have more $$$ to spare then get the lens...

Thanks everyone for all the advice given... thank you very much... FCF (Family Come First)...

Oh... I don't mind if anyone would like to donate the lens to me...
    Last edited by kevyan; 21st January 2007 at 02:23 AM.

Yep you're right. Family comes 1st. Get your new lens only after you have settle your family needs. Well, I'm still sure you can have lots of nice pics of your son with your present setup, so do take lots of pics as you watch him grow up.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    actually, i second the opinion of a 18-70, which can be obtained for a very reasonable price nowadays cos, i think, everyone's moving on to a 18-200 VR or 18-135. it's a marvelously sharp lens for its price. it's permanently stuck on my d50. shot loads of pics of my son.

end of the day, regardless the lens, it's the images u capture dat matters. our kids are only young once. once they outgrow the 'cute' ages, no amt of $ can bring back those memories.
    Well Said........ I don't have kids yet (after 7 years of marrige but still trying), I know the feeling...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12