Thread: Van or Car

Deregistered

Lightbulb Van or Car

If u were on a budget, would u choose to buy a van or a car?

Thinking of the following vans:
    1) Citroen Berllingo
    2) Renault Kangoo
    3) Peugoet Partner
    4) Opel Carry (if i'm not wrong)

or

a Hyundai Accent.

Anybody can offer some insights? Thanx

i thot u can't buy those vans anymore unless you've got a legit business to show that you need it for transporting goods?

Like a camera, it all depends on your needs and budget...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Deregistered

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    i thot u can't buy those vans anymore unless you've got a legit business to show that you need it for transporting goods?
    Haha... Hi Lillian.
    But there is a loophole. Juz register a company. Its cheap.

Originally posted by markccm

Haha... Hi Lillian.
    will the IRA or CPF Board come to say hello at the end of the year???

Deregistered

Declare no income. Its ok one.

Haha... Hi Lillian.
    Really ......... thought had to prove nature of company's business. Now that's news to me. But surely road tax is higher for such vans than cars?

Deregistered

Slightly higher onli. Think as long as habe a biz can liao.

It's pretty easy. Register a sole-propiertorship so that you can get a Registry of Companies and Businesses (RCB) number. Then can register a G-plate van liao.

To renew the RCB licence, you may have to top-up your MediSave account unless you declare no business income. So like this can continue with your G-plate van!

BTW, seen a lot of Berlingo on the road. Hmmm... guess it is the more popular one among the small vans.

Deregistered

Originally posted by lazyfiddler
    It's pretty easy. Register a sole-propiertorship so that you can get a Registry of Companies and Businesses (RCB) number. Then can register a G-plate van liao.

To renew the RCB licence, you may have to top-up your MediSave account unless you declare no business income. So like this can continue with your G-plate van!

BTW, seen a lot of Berlingo on the road. Hmmm... guess it is the more popular one among the small vans.
    Thanx
    Btw, if I am an employee of a company can register a company anot? Every year declare no earnings. But my medisafe is topped up coz I have a job.
    I kinda like Peugoet ot Citreon.

Thanx
    Btw, if I am an employee of a company can register a company anot? Every year declare no earnings. But my medisafe is topped up coz I have a job.
    I kinda like Peugoet ot Citreon.
    Hmmm.... not sure. I think you need to check your current employment contract whether you are allowed to register a sole-proprietorship (if u register a Private Limited, I think you will include more admin cost such as scretarial and audit fees annually)

I think the Medi-save top-up is based on the assumption that you are not employed by another person or company, hence the necessity for the top-up on your own. Rules may have changed since my sole-proprietorship registration in 1999, so please check with RCB.

But I think you also better consult LTA on the requirements for registering a G-plate. Must admit those vans are really attractive and value but check also the type such as diesel or petrol engine. Diesel, I think is cheaper but may incur inspection fee. Not so sure about the petrol one. Got this info from my reservists' CSM.

Deregistered

Ic. Thanx. May get my friend to help me. Thanx

Hi,

Just to share some of my personal views.

I was faced with the same question 1 year ago.
    I was looking for vehicle & found that I've got problem paying the 30% downpayment for a used or small car.

So the only solution was to go for small vans as the downpayment for commercial vehicles was only 10% but the interest rate is higher compared to cars.

If you decide to buy a small van & want to save money.
    Diesel will be more economical. The maintenance cost might be slightly higher as diesel engines emit more carbon than petrol ones.
    The ENV seems to be quite strict on smoke emission from vehicles nowadays.

Take note that for Continental brands like Renault & Citroen might have a resale problem later. Seems that most people prefer to buy 2nd hand Japanese van (same as cars).

Last time, diesel vans road tax is much higher petrol vans.
    But seems that the road tax after rebate for diesel vans has dropped. It's about $300 per annum.

In the end I decided to buy a Daihatsu Extol 1.3 litre van. The reasons why are I chosed it is because
    - run on petrol
    - Japanese (not Continental)
    - it's engine is very quiet compared to the new Suzuki 1.3 litre
    - aircon is very powerful
    - the external form factor & interior is also better.
    N.B. The Daihatsu Extol is actually a 6 seater mini-MPV in Japan marketed as Toyota Sparky.
    I actually saw one of this about 2 months ago when I was in Bishan. It was registered as a car.

Do plan your budget carefully.
    Every month I've to set aside about $1,000 to pay for van instalments, petrol, season & hourly parking, maintenace & insurance.

If I'm to decide now after MAS allows 90% financing & 10-year installment, I'll most probably go for a car.
    The reasons are
    - vans got no PARF value unlike car after 10 years have a PARF value of about $10k
    - can 'legally' carry 4 passengers instead of 1.
    - status

All boils down to your usage pattern & budget.
    So far I've met 2 professional photographers who used vans instead of cars & it can store all their Medium format equipment, tripod, lights, etc.

Originally posted by Tony K
    Daihatsu Extol 1.3 litre van

wow...can convert to 6 seaters?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by Wai
    [B]

wow...can convert to 6 seaters?[IMG]
    Nope you can't do that
    It's not legal & it's costly & tedious to convert it.

The Daihatsu six seater MPV that I saw in Bishan carries a car plate. It'll be much more expensive than the van due to higher taxes on car.

Some van owners just put in bean bags or sofa bed at the back.
    But you've to take the risk of being caught by Traffic Police / LTA.
    Furthermore any passengers at the back are not covered by insurance.

That's why if you need to carry more than 1 passenger often, it's safer & more comfortable to get a car.

Now economy not very positive. Also think twice before you commit to buying a vehicle. Taking public transport & taxis will be a much cheaper solution. Generally our S'pore public transport sys are quite good compare to other countries.

Before I bought my van, my transport expenses was only about $100 - $200 per month. Even if I take Taxis everyday, I think it'll cost me only $400 - $500 per month.

Sometimes, I'm 'limited' by driving compared to being driven.
    I've much less opportunities to appreciate the surroundings, read books/newspapers, etc.
    Parking is a also problem. Sometimes it could be difficult to find parking at certain places. Some places parking are very expensive
    so can't 'idle' there shopping for too long.

Your excess money can be used to finance your hobbies (cameras, videocams, home theatre sys, DVDs, PCs, etc...) & other investments.

Deregistered

Thanx 4 the valuable info Tony.