View Poll Results: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way! Absolutely never!

    32 16.84%
  • No. Unless they're willing to pay me 3x my fees.

    12 6.32%
  • Yes, I will take up the job but keep it hush hush.

    31 16.32%
  • Yes, I will gladly take up the job and show the photos on my website

    115 60.53%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 134

Thread: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    My intention? What if I tell you that there are many opportunities there, especially overseas and they are looking for photographers?

    Many of my clients are from the arts circle and I've photographed many gay writers and musicians for commercial as well as domestic consumption.
    You've said it, this society's ultra conservative, and for me I've absolutely no qualms about cover a same sex marriage. However, I do take the stance that the portfolio will be shown to selective couples only. I do photography for a living and whatever I do cannot affect my business.

    I do maintain that this thread or the options are in no way gay bashing. A person who chooses the 3 options need not be homophobic or gay-bashing but have considered many other factors. Even if you're to judge it based on the options, many of the photographers are selecting the 4th option.
    No, Canturn, the phraseology of your negative options may not be overtly homophobic or gay-bashing, but they are certainly tainted or slanted that way, though perhaps inadvertantly so. I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but your words should have been more carefully chosen.

    If you had merely wished to canvass the opinions of forum members here, in the terms of your posed question, it would have been far better to simply provide for "yes" or "no", and let responders wear their colours on their sleeves should they choose.

  2. #62
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by LKSC View Post
    No, Canturn, the phraseology of your negative options may not be overtly homophobic or gay-bashing, but they are certainly tainted or slanted that way, though perhaps inadvertantly so. I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but your words should have been more carefully chosen.

    If you had merely wished to canvass the opinions of forum members here, in the terms of your posed question, it would have been far better to simply provide for "yes" or "no", and let responders wear their colours on their sleeves should they choose.
    i think this is a matter of opinion....

    i have plenty of gay friends, my ex boss is gay and i get along well with them, and generally dislike the attitudes of gay bashers, but i didn't feel that this poll was out to bash them in any way.

    in other words.. my response to your statement is a confused... GOT MEH???

  3. #63

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    i think this is a matter of opinion....

    i have plenty of gay friends, my ex boss is gay and i get along well with them, and generally dislike the attitudes of gay bashers, but i didn't feel that this poll was out to bash them in any way.

    in other words.. my response to your statement is a confused... GOT MEH???
    Let me try. I'm just venturing a guess ok? A lot of times we're insensitive to stuff that doesn't hit us. And sometimes, even if it may be the truth, the way it's said affects some people more than others.

    "keep it hush hush" suggests there's something shameful to be hidden.

    For "Yes, I will gladly take up the job and show the photos on my website", it shows the nonchalence to the need or desire for privacy of gays. It almost sounds like a dare.

    I've no doubt that Stephen has honest intentions, and didn't read so deep into what he posted. I'm just venturing a guess, that's all.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    i think this is a matter of opinion....

    i have plenty of gay friends, my ex boss is gay and i get along well with them, and generally dislike the attitudes of gay bashers, but i didn't feel that this poll was out to bash them in any way.

    in other words.. my response to your statement is a confused... GOT MEH???
    That is my opinion, and I speak as a lawyer.

    I give Stephen the benefit of the doubt, but one would do well to be more circumspect about a sensitive subject.

    His question in the thread title is interesting and the responses have proved revealing, but the language of his poll options is callow and prejudicial, though he may not intend it, or realise it.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Let me try. I'm just venturing a guess ok? A lot of times we're insensitive to stuff that doesn't hit us. And sometimes, even if it may be the truth, the way it's said affects some people more than others.

    "keep it hush hush" suggests there's something shameful to be hidden.

    For "Yes, I will gladly take up the job and show the photos on my website", it shows the nonchalence to the need or desire for privacy of gays. It almost sounds like a dare.

    I've no doubt that Stephen has honest intentions, and didn't read so deep into what he posted. I'm just venturing a guess, that's all.

    LKSC & Shinken, thanks for the benefit of the doubt.

    The options and the wordings were based on actual conversations and situations. E.g, happened to speak to a gay couple who told me they were given ridiculous quotes like 6k -7k euros when they approached some of the photographers.

    Spoke to another photographer who've accepted such jobs before, he would keep it "hush hush", not because it's shameful, but he feels the general clients in his society isn't ready to see these (from Hong Kong btw).

    I'm not trying to pull these out to make any disclaimer or quoting these third parties to hide behind any possible bombardment. The questions might lack some sensitivity in the way it's phrased, and I do apologise for anything that has been stirred.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Metros aren't gay. Metros are very vain and fashion-concious men. Which is what you see all the time on the MRT here. If metro = gay or gay = metro, it certainly would explain the population problem of SG. Almost no straight men except for the ah peks at the coffee shops!!


    But to imply that the "alternate lifestyle" community would be willing to pay more is just extremely narrow-minded. They usually already suffer from the public stigmas which prevent many of them from becoming successful. Why still try to make them bleed more on what could be the happiest day of their life?
    LOL .. why u so stress up?

    i did not say metros = gays. I agree what you say on metros
    me also quite metro ..

    but then most gays are metros. seriously i yet to see an unmetro one
    most dress better than straight man, hit the gym , tanning saloon and facial saloon.
    and they are willing to pay more to look good.

    so back to topic .. why wouldnt they pay higher for a professional wedding package?

    I do hv gays friends too ..
    Last edited by simon80; 20th January 2007 at 02:34 PM.

  7. #67

    Smile Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    something involving two consenting adults include wedding, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i tot it's abt wedding not everything & anything involing 2 consenting adults!

  8. #68

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by LKSC View Post
    No, Canturn, the phraseology of your negative options may not be overtly homophobic or gay-bashing, but they are certainly tainted or slanted that way, though perhaps inadvertantly so. I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but your words should have been more carefully chosen.

    If you had merely wished to canvass the opinions of forum members here, in the terms of your posed question, it would have been far better to simply provide for "yes" or "no", and let responders wear their colours on their sleeves should they choose.
    Thanks, that was exactly what I meant.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Yes, because I bet it wld be so much more interesting than cookie cutter weddings we have now.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    i would definitely cover a gay wedding. but not because of the hype...but because they are my clients.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Now that same sex weddings are on the rise, just want to hear from the wedding photographers out there. And please, this is NOT a thread for bashing or for people who are homophobic, so don't go OT.
    Eye opening and it will be rare .. go for it if you have ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  12. #72

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Now that same sex weddings are on the rise, just want to hear from the wedding photographers out there. And please, this is NOT a thread for bashing or for people who are homophobic, so don't go OT.
    imho, as wedding photographers we have to feel the passion and spirit from the bride themselves.
    I dunno about the same sex wedding since they have different attraction from common wedding...
    Personally I will not accept the order due to that reason..

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    shooting aside... lets say in office ur boss is a gay/bi/lesb etc... does it matter?? i think not... to me they r still human and its rice on the table tat matters most.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    It is just a poll.... so the number of options simply reflect truthfully the reactions of photographers.

    The fact is there are homophobic people among us and there are those that have gay friends and those that just rather not know if their friends are gay or not. These are facts and in the pursuit of political correctness, we are always making certain topics taboo.

    Frankly I dont find there anything wrong with knowing how many percentage thinks this or that way cos it is facts. Sweeping it under the carpet will not make it go away, it simple goes underground.

    Just in case I am misinterpreted as homophobic.... I do have good friends who are gay, bi, lesbian and straight. And frankly no one really cares so much about titles and classfication. All the politically correctness and all actually makes them laugh and also sad as it shows how different they are viewed by society.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    It is just a poll.... so the number of options simply reflect truthfully the reactions of photographers.

    The fact is there are homophobic people among us and there are those that have gay friends and those that just rather not know if their friends are gay or not. These are facts and in the pursuit of political correctness, we are always making certain topics taboo.

    Frankly I dont find there anything wrong with knowing how many percentage thinks this or that way cos it is facts. Sweeping it under the carpet will not make it go away, it simple goes underground.

    Just in case I am misinterpreted as homophobic.... I do have good friends who are gay, bi, lesbian and straight. And frankly no one really cares so much about titles and classfication. All the politically correctness and all actually makes them laugh and also sad as it shows how different they are viewed by society.
    Well, this have been happening since hundreds of years ago. Hmmm....
    Last edited by Spectrum; 27th January 2007 at 03:26 PM.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    what a strange poll and thread!

    a wedding is a wedding, a celebration of the coming-together of 2 people.

    why would you even wanna start such a thread, it would just invite more homophobic replies and quite reflective of your true views on this matter.

    what are you trying to provoke here

  17. #77
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Singapore where got openly gay & Lesbian wedding... you think in the UK meh? Like Elton John...

  18. #78

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Now that same sex weddings are on the rise, just want to hear from the wedding photographers out there. And please, this is NOT a thread for bashing or for people who are homophobic, so don't go OT.
    Why else would you say no if not because you're homophobic?

    Just food for thought

  19. #79

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    yes I will shoot for them their wedding. It is their most happy time of their life.

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Wedding Photographers: Would you shoot a gay or lesbian wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain View Post
    i'm a wedding photographer by profession, will it make me different to shoot only rich ppl and drop those who stay in cheap housing and hold their weddings in less than 5 star hotels?

    I showcase weddings to potential couples who have the same ideas/ concepts/ places to hold weddings.

    i try to show a typical chinese couple and typical chinese wedding outfit i shoot, same with chruch weddings and i will only show a gay wedding to another gay couple.

    if you try to show your Indian wedding to a chinese couple, its very hard to get the deal right cos they may not relate, the most important thing is to relate your couples with the photography you do.

    that right mind set, right way to handle it.

    i would gladly take it up for any of my homo friends any time. ( i may not be good )
    i see weddings as the binding of 2 ppl truly in love and nothing more
    Member of the earth

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •