Thread: Beware if you are prepaid mobile*Especially Optus* user in Australia...

Default Beware if you are prepaid mobile*Especially Optus* user in Australia...

The whole incident started with a simple sms msg promoting ringtones, I found it annoying. So decided to delete it from the inbox. Coz I was about to go overseas for a few months, I decided to top up my prepaid mobile account. After deleted it, I thought of double checking the money I just top up.

To my horror, Aud$5 was missing from my account. I rang and asked why it was so expensive to send one sms to Malaysia. The explanation by the Optus operator was that I had just subcribed the ringtones. I was puzzled...wasn't drunk or even taking any panadols for the last few days. Clearly, I wasn't at fault. The operator later said: there isn't anything I can do about it. It must have been me. I have accidentally subscribed to it. I argued and argued......till I threathened to close my account. She only then advised it is best I send a sms to the ringtones providers to STOP sending offers via sms.

Guess what? I was given three companies numbers to send. Just send the word 'STOP' in capital letters.

Here are the culprits:

Crazy John - SMS no. 19727299 Direct dial no. 1300767306
    Mobile Mojo- SMS no. 19776656
    SplashMobile-SMS no. 19766776 Direct dial no. 1800625622

The Magic now is I did what I was told....sending the message STOP in capital letters. Immediately, they returned msgs like I am now unsubscribing from their offers and marketing. So again, I double checked the balance of my mobile account. A further Aud$7 was missing from it. I had to call Optus operator again to verify what there is further loss of Aud$7 from my already diminishing account...
    She said I have to take up the matter with the ringtones providers again. I must have called up at least five to six times, either the no. is answered as no longer connected or it kept ringing till disconnected again.....

I finally had enough, telling the Optus operator that I want to file a complaint with the telecommunication ombudsman and write in to Singtel instead of Optus. She caved in. She said she will refund the credit which the ringtones providers had taken....but not full amount. And what makes it worst.....She said I have to resend sms to the ringtones providers again with the STOP message.

End of the day, I still lost up to Aud$6 for no reason. Optus really sux and those operators based overseas with funny accents make the matter worst. Half of the time, I had to guess what they were 'talking' about

Default Re: Beware if you are prepaid mobile*Especially Optus* user in Australia...

You spend half a day and make another $1 losses.

Next time i will remind not to use them, even if i do, i must remind myself to forget about the $5 losses. Just joking TIE friend.

Great Info.

Default Re: Beware if you are prepaid mobile*Especially Optus* user in Australia...

Quote Originally Posted by nickonchong View Post
    You spend half a day and make another $1 losses.

Next time i will remind not to use them, even if i do, i must remind myself to forget about the $5 losses. Just joking TIE friend.

Great Info.

Err, it is not just money. But principle.....if every time they sent ringtones that I am not interested in. Not only I will feel annoy. And somehow the credit/money in my account will 'sneakily' disappear. The tragedy is all my family members are subscribers to Optus. Imagined my father and mother wouldn't have a clue why time and again, their credit can just suddenly 'disappeared' or shortchanged.

Well, I am much happier now. Just wrote a letter of complaint to the Telecommunication Ombudsman regarding these ringtones companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign View Post
    The whole incident started with a simple sms msg promoting ringtones, I found it annoying. So decided to delete it from the inbox. Coz I was about to go overseas for a few months, I decided to top up my prepaid mobile account. After deleted it, I thought of double checking the money I just top up.

To my horror, Aud$5 was missing from my account. I rang and asked why it was so expensive to send one sms to Malaysia. The explanation by the Optus operator was that I had just subcribed the ringtones. I was puzzled...wasn't drunk or even taking any panadols for the last few days. Clearly, I wasn't at fault. The operator later said: there isn't anything I can do about it. It must have been me. I have accidentally subscribed to it. I argued and argued......till I threathened to close my account. She only then advised it is best I send a sms to the ringtones providers to STOP sending offers via sms.

Guess what? I was given three companies numbers to send. Just send the word 'STOP' in capital letters.

Here are the culprits:

Crazy John - SMS no. 19727299 Direct dial no. 1300767306
    Mobile Mojo- SMS no. 19776656
    SplashMobile-SMS no. 19766776 Direct dial no. 1800625622

The Magic now is I did what I was told....sending the message STOP in capital letters. Immediately, they returned msgs like I am now unsubscribing from their offers and marketing. So again, I double checked the balance of my mobile account. A further Aud$7 was missing from it. I had to call Optus operator again to verify what there is further loss of Aud$7 from my already diminishing account...
    She said I have to take up the matter with the ringtones providers again. I must have called up at least five to six times, either the no. is answered as no longer connected or it kept ringing till disconnected again.....

I finally had enough, telling the Optus operator that I want to file a complaint with the telecommunication ombudsman and write in to Singtel instead of Optus. She caved in. She said she will refund the credit which the ringtones providers had taken....but not full amount. And what makes it worst.....She said I have to resend sms to the ringtones providers again with the STOP message.

End of the day, I still lost up to Aud$6 for no reason. Optus really sux and those operators based overseas with funny accents make the matter worst. Half of the time, I had to guess what they were 'talking' about
    nb... go claim back your $6 buck.

Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    nb... go claim back your $6 buck.

NB, U must be the jinx

Just received another ringtones offer ....dunno from where. At this unholy hour, %*#@X^&) Checked the balance again....seemed to be short of another Aud$2.

Think I just top up and wait till I go overseas and come back. All my credit GONEeeeeeeeeeee
    Last edited by Benign; 18th January 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign View Post
    NB, U must be the jinx

Just received another ringtones offer ....dunno from where. At this unholy hour, %*#@X^&) Checked the balance again....seemed to be short of another Aud$2.

Think I just top up and wait till I go overseas and come back. All my credit GONEeeeeeeeeeee
    Hahahahahahhaha............... suuuuuuuuu them la.. can ask around CS.. got many here like to SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

the next thing you'll hear from me will be from

MY MAMA!!!

I'm gonna call home and cry to my mama!! waaaahhh~~~~~
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Darn! I've been away for almost 2 months, does that mean my credits are all gone?!!!! Argh..better go check

I ever had a problem in Australia on my internet connection.. It used to me on a per call basis. Which means you pay like A$0.25 to call thru to log on and my service provider is unlimited access, which is godsend as i was crazy abt IRC then.

one fine day, i tried to log in and dial in for like 500 times... and end of the day i got a bill of A$300 and complained to the Ombusman to no avail...

Eventhough i think singnet etc overcharge and dont provide good CS, at least the chances of things going wrong is very low.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    I ever had a problem in Australia on my internet connection.. It used to me on a per call basis. Which means you pay like A$0.25 to call thru to log on and my service provider is unlimited access, which is godsend as i was crazy abt IRC then.

one fine day, i tried to log in and dial in for like 500 times... and end of the day i got a bill of A$300 and complained to the Ombusman to no avail...

Eventhough i think singnet etc overcharge and dont provide good CS, at least the chances of things going wrong is very low.. LOL
    the part of things going wrong has been covered by the "overcharging".

it's like insurance. you pay an extra premium every month to ensure things don't go terribly wrong.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler