Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mlm

Default Re: mlm

Quote Originally Posted by smileyguy View Post
    From what I understand abt MLM. When u first join as member, u cannot recruit people under u. U work like a direct seller or buy and use their product and accumulate points thru that. Once u reach the Target points set by the MLM company, u will rise to the next level which then u can start to recruit people under u. That is when u will start to take a cut of those under u earn thru either selling the product or buy the product for their own use.
    This is the Stairs-Step System. Which is largely "Disapproved" or modified. It is one of the very early models.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

MLM? I am miles away from MLM now. Some years back, thought it would be a good investment, but learnt my lessons the hard way after spending thousands on products which couldnt move. I use them as sun block to block the sun light from shining into my bedroom now for my usana range. Then I ventured into another brand, spent hundreds and cant get it going well. Then the third... no promising fruit at all for me. Perhaps I do not have the genes for it. Perhaps thats me and I cant sell a hope in the air. Hopelessness were my sentiments.

Very long ago, in the mid 90s, I went for a Mary K direct selling talk in the midwestern part of usa. It wasn't called MLM then. The motivator was an evil soul who condemn the male gender in the US society. The lady speaker uplifted the spirit of emotionally beaten housewifes to stand up for their rights, to make their own income and to tell their soulmate they are not dumb wives. I was the only guy in there as I accompanied my gf for the talk. I felt like a bastaard amongst the power hungry middle aged women who shouted for liberation with the new found valley of wealth, and hence freedom. That was my first impression of the power of direct selling. Damm solid, ok! It was a really motivating speech for them to make them shout and yell at the top of their lungs. Even the church I attended (in the same county) was a hundred times more mellow than the atmosphere in that dark room. I sat motionless, appalled and unwilling to clap my hands whenever they rejoiced jumping. It was a religion which I could not be a part of; a cult so I believe.

Well, I am sure direct selling, times share, MLM and whatever fancy names out there are legitimate ways of doing business in the eye of the law maker. To be fair, it is pure hardwork to see good results. My hats off to them if they can keep their focus and satisfiedin this profession.

It takes a lot of courage to be bold and carry the brand and also it takes a good motivator as a pillar for support. All too often, when a key mentor collapsed due to illness, greed or migrated interest, the downline soften up into pulp. It takes a good downline to bend forward and pick up the chain of misery, rekindle the flame that used to burn so well in the belly and pull everyone in the team back. But it does not turn around usually and hence out come the sheep who lost thousands of hard earned cash from a promised land.

Seriously, I wish good luck for all in this trade. I am sure it is a good choice and it spells freedom to stay rich. But it really calls for commitment and like our dear leaders often quip, "no free lunch for you in Singapore."

Cheers and peace

sometime i wonder if mlm is really doing so well then how come their products are not selling on retails outlet? and unlike insurance they are actually advertising and sponsoring on some advertisment as i am sure everybody can see for themselves... however i dun see any mlm doing advertising and sponsoring...
    maybe if they can try advertising and sponsoring perhaps they might be able to break into the market one day... anyway that my thought for it...

Ya I agreed with u guys, at least now I got sufficient $$ to spend and not in any debts.. I dun really hanker after money earn in an unrealistic way or by exploiting others..

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    i also kenna before.. lucky that one is not good friend. only an 'OK' friend. ok lor. no ambition.. at least I'm not in debts now..
    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    good for you!

eat what you earn and earn with your capabilities, not with exploiting others' weakness

instead of MLM , i rather do wedding photography ... rather spend on a good camera, lens and flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Mature as in the industry. It in corporates public awareness as well as community acceptance. They know what is MLM. They know what to avoid and what to look out for.

Like Insurance, we know what to look out for and not now. We have accepted insurance as a powerful tool in our lifestyle.

If you talk about big Insurance players vs small players. It is the same. The small need to re-invent themselves or find a nich to fill or they will be dropped. (As in, no one taking them up). Maturity is when our lifestyle has accepted MLM Marketing as a 'conventional' method of marketing.
    I dont think that Insurance and MLM has anything at all in common...

1) Insurance

-) You pay a premium each year/month
    -) In event of accident or death you get insurance payback.
    -) For insurance savings plans, you get returns on your premium plus coverage

2) MLM
    -) You have to persuade person 1 to buy your product and after that become a direct distributor under your group. You have to persuade as many persons as possible to earn their commission. Then you train them to persuade people on their own to form a network and you earn from this growing network.
    -) The products in MLM even Amway are not that fanastic in my opinon. When I was in Malaysia, a friend did a sales pitch to me and showed me many products that the Malaysians felt were so wonderous... The problem is in Singapore, I can get at Cold Storage, these so called wonderous only exculsive to Amway products,

My personal opinon, MLM might work in Malaysia or USA where the country is big and distribution chains are not so good. People join and buy for the convinence of having them delivered to their homes. In Singapore where we can just walk to the nearest supermarket, MLM don't seem applicable.

let me ask you, many products sold over MLM are so fabulously described, if they are so good, why don't they get sold in the market like all others? with those 'magical' capabilities, they'll beat their rivals handsdown in absolutely no time. don't give me the 'sharing the profit' explanation, to me that's as good as ****.

and when the MLM Industry mature so to say, what happens to those at the bottom of the system? when is it considered mature?
    There are always blacksheeps in any industries. Same with MLM, the black sheeps spoil the market. There are many similar types of industries that is following the MLM style of doing biz, insurance is one, forex and futures (I was in it before but not sure how the current system is working right now).

Some MLM products work while some dun. Lamp Berger was MLM product and now they have evolve into shops. How I know, my wife is a nut for MLM's certain products and it works. When it doesn't work, it is immoral and when someone is selling stuff that does now work, ethics becomes an issue. Actually, it applies to all trade. When a salesman sells something that does not work whether in shop or under MLM's method, it sux big time.

Advertisements are expensive. By cutting the advertisement fees, cost is reduced and is not passed on to consumers. Everybody in the line can get a better share. Rental of shop space is a killing factor for a lot of products. Hence, by reducing overheads, cost is reduced again. You also dun pay for idling staff like some shops. You only pay to staff who gets the work done which is u. Certain pp buy things or svs thru word of mouth. Thus, it would work very well for this group of pp.

I am not involve in MLM but i do have a few friends who tries to sell their stuff to me.

I would like to STRESS that INSURANCE is NOT MLM.

insurance is the protection against unforseenable events/circumstance, while MLM is a form of marketing concept.

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post

insurance is the protection against unforseenable events/circumstance, while MLM is a form of marketing concept.

They sell different products. But both follow similar concepts of overriding. The first seller sells and get the commission, the one on top of him gets the commission also and it just goes up. However, if I am correct, insurance has a limit to how much it can go up.

for me, i doesnt really discriminate mlm companies, rather i hate those ppls doing the sales. I been cheated by a friend to come out for a chat. In the end, the meeting place is near his mlm company. Pulling me to his workplace to hear all kind of rubbishs. Earn big $$ n drive big car. Kaoz. Till this day, i never met this friend again.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    for me, i doesnt really discriminate mlm companies, rather i hate those ppls doing the sales. I been cheated by a friend to come out for a chat. In the end, the meeting place is near his mlm company. Pulling me to his workplace to hear all kind of rubbishs. Earn big $$ n drive big car. Kaoz. Till this day, i never met this friend again.
    they are like that.. becos they have a sales target to meet every month. If can find new people to join, they will ask them to buy an initial set of products... which covers the monthly sales target of that person.

shrewd right... ? of cos.. they called it " business " .

and they will called up frens, relatives... who long time no see... suddenly meet up and very friendly. I find this WERID.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 20th January 2007 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    instead of MLM , i rather do wedding photography ... rather spend on a good camera, lens and flash.
    to that haha... i wonder if ever mlm got sell camera

they are like that.. becos they have a sales target to meet every month. If can find new people to join, they will ask them to buy an initial set of products... which covers the monthly sales target of that person.

shrewd right... ? of cos.. they called it " business " .

and they will called up frens, relatives... who long time no see... suddenly meet up and very friendly. I find this WERID.
    yeah v true. this friend who called me appeared suddenly after 5 years. Haiz.

vince123123
    Guests

Both of you misunderstood, MLM is a marketing concept, and insurance is a product.

Insurance uses the MLM marketing concept in using direct selling and then commissions up the line. Their product is insurance policies.

An MLM company can use the same concept of direct selling and commissoins up the line. THeir product can be tupperware, can be health products, magentic plasters etc.

And by the way, there are MANY scam reporting sites writing about Amway and how good/bad it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    I dont think that Insurance and MLM has anything at all in common...

1) Insurance

-) You pay a premium each year/month
    -) In event of accident or death you get insurance payback.
    -) For insurance savings plans, you get returns on your premium plus coverage

2) MLM
    -) You have to persuade person 1 to buy your product and after that become a direct distributor under your group. You have to persuade as many persons as possible to earn their commission. Then you train them to persuade people on their own to form a network and you earn from this growing network.
    -) The products in MLM even Amway are not that fanastic in my opinon. When I was in Malaysia, a friend did a sales pitch to me and showed me many products that the Malaysians felt were so wonderous... The problem is in Singapore, I can get at Cold Storage, these so called wonderous only exculsive to Amway products,

My personal opinon, MLM might work in Malaysia or USA where the country is big and distribution chains are not so good. People join and buy for the convinence of having them delivered to their homes. In Singapore where we can just walk to the nearest supermarket, MLM don't seem applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Both of you misunderstood, MLM is a marketing concept, and insurance is a product.

Insurance uses the MLM marketing concept in using direct selling and then commissions up the line. Their product is insurance policies.

An MLM company can use the same concept of direct selling and commissoins up the line. THeir product can be tupperware, can be health products, magentic plasters etc.

And by the way, there are MANY scam reporting sites writing about Amway and how good/bad it really is.

They are so defensive abt insurance. Maybe they are insurance agents themselves . I am not sure whether property agents follows the same rule but when i was a forex and commodities trader, they follow the same rule. My boss overrides me and I overrides my traders for every lot traded. Not sure whether the same rule is applied nowadays. It has been years ......

Deregistered

Let's look at things in a systematic manner:

Governed by MAS - Insurance
    NOT governed by any particular body - Most MLM (though by right, health-related consumables must go through HSA for approval)

Legal - Insurance (which does run on a legitimate MLM system), plus most MLM's
    Not Legal - MLM's that go solely on recruitment drives
    Illegal - Pyramid scams

also, what happens when the product goes wrong? who do we make claims from?
    Heh heh. From insurance, who else?

Just to clarify - Network Marketing, Multilayer Marketing are one and the same, generally. Only Pyramid Marketing is the outright illegal version.

Like Vince123123 said, it's important to see the lines clearly instead of blurring them. Food for thought:
    1. Marketing System
    2. Product
    3. Legality

How to differentiate between Pyramid and Multilayer/Network Marketing? The former does not require actual transacted sales to earn money, the latter needs it to be present.

Another clarification point why people in insurance lines are not allowed in legal terms to take part in NM/MLM is because there will be a major conflict of interest between selling a product for life (insurance) and trying to further capitalizing on other goods that may or may not be benefitting the client (MLM). But take note, even within the insurance line, there's segregation between life and general insurance, so when one lays a claim, please make life easier for other readers instead of confusing them.

Any photographer with great photos, still need to take a look at how well he sells. McDonald's burgers aren't the best, but surely there is a reason why they're all over singapore, and the world.

Quote Originally Posted by teruranse View Post
    sometime i wonder if mlm is really doing so well then how come their products are not selling on retails outlet? and unlike insurance they are actually advertising and sponsoring on some advertisment as i am sure everybody can see for themselves... however i dun see any mlm doing advertising and sponsoring...
    maybe if they can try advertising and sponsoring perhaps they might be able to break into the market one day... anyway that my thought for it...
    Oddly enough, if you looked hard enough, you'll notice it. Most of the fellow forum users here can only notice girls in bikinis... hey, that's a start!

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Let's look at things in a systematic manner:

Governed by MAS - Insurance
    NOT governed by any particular body - Most MLM (though by right, health-related consumables must go through HSA for approval)

Legal - Insurance (which does run on a legitimate MLM system), plus most MLM's
    Not Legal - MLM's that go solely on recruitment drives
    Illegal - Pyramid scams

Heh heh. From insurance, who else?

Just to clarify - Network Marketing, Multilayer Marketing are one and the same, generally. Only Pyramid Marketing is the outright illegal version.

Like Vince123123 said, it's important to see the lines clearly instead of blurring them. Food for thought:
    1. Marketing System
    2. Product
    3. Legality

How to differentiate between Pyramid and Multilayer/Network Marketing? The former does not require actual transacted sales to earn money, the latter needs it to be present.

Another clarification point why people in insurance lines are not allowed in legal terms to take part in NM/MLM is because there will be a major conflict of interest between selling a product for life (insurance) and trying to further capitalizing on other goods that may or may not be benefitting the client (MLM). But take note, even within the insurance line, there's segregation between life and general insurance, so when one lays a claim, please make life easier for other readers instead of confusing them.

Any photographer with great photos, still need to take a look at how well he sells. McDonald's burgers aren't the best, but surely there is a reason why they're all over singapore, and the world.

Oddly enough, if you looked hard enough, you'll notice it. Most of the fellow forum users here can only notice girls in bikinis... hey, that's a start!
    how do you claim from insurance when a product you buy from an mlm company goes wrong?

health products sold over mlm not governed by any governing body? so when something goes wrong with using the health product there's no ground to recover compensations?
    Last edited by eikin; 20th January 2007 at 01:22 PM.

Deregistered

how do you claim from insurance when a product you buy from an mlm company goes wrong?

health products sold over mlm not governed by any governing body? so when something goes wrong with using the health product there's no ground to recover compensations?
    You can try your luck, as "accidental food poisoning" from your personal accident policy, or inpatient stay from your hospitalization policy. No guarantees if your insurer will pay you though. But there are ways to get things done, but take note in the definition of "accident" in your policy. A stringent policy will more likely than not, NOT pay, but the offset of it is the lower premiums.

To answer the second question, you can try to take the company's liability insurance into account. If they don't have such a policy in place, you're essentially hosed.
    Last edited by sehsuan; 20th January 2007 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    You can try your luck, as "accidental food poisoning" from your personal accident policy, or inpatient stay from your hospitalization policy. No guarantees if your insurer will pay you though. But there are ways to get things done, but take note in the definition of "accident" in your policy. A stringent policy will more likely than not, NOT pay, but the offset of it is the lower premiums.

To answer the second question, you can try to take the company's liability insurance into account. If they don't have such a policy in place, you're essentially hosed.
    for health products, i might as well get myself 'exploited' by pharmaceutical shops where i know the products are controlled. somemore i get to be serviced by pharmaceutical consultants, rather than put my own well-being at stake by buying something i don't know whether long term damages can be claimed and from a salesperson who has absolutely no idea what's inside the product.

for health products, i might as well get myself 'exploited' by pharmaceutical shops where i know the products are controlled. somemore i get to be serviced by pharmaceutical consultants, rather than put my own well-being at stake by buying something i don't know whether long term damages can be claimed and from a salesperson who has absolutely no idea what's inside the product.
    Yes precisely like the Amway pitch I attended. Some metal wool scrub. Supposed to be so high tech and exclusive to Amway.... selling at less than 5 dollars at Cold Storage....

To me MLM is just a farce.... you earn by the commission from your down line and it doesnt matter how good the product is or in the first place anyone want to use it or not.... its just make more members make more members equals more cash.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast