Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 341

Thread: Employ Singaporeans for what?

  1. #141

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    With 20k a month! Congrats Your family have elevated to Elite status.
    my sister, not me lah. The point is make the correct career choices. She went into Pharmacy WAY WAY b4 the biomedical thingy got started in singapore.

    I think the obvious point is DON'T go into the HOT courses unless you are exceptional (which in that case, it doesn't matter where you go)

  2. #142

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    The government's upgrading programes in the past were not very successful. Not everyone gets the job that he is trained in.

    With influx of more foreign workers, salaries drop in order to favor companies. No choice lah, unless you set up your own business, run the show yourself. Workers are in a disadvantage position in this new era.

    And for those who think they can compete competently in the job market, do not forget that you will one day be replaced by younger workers. It is not your fault, but it is the trend of globalisation.

    Save up now, you may need it one day.

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    This probably had been brought up a lot of times and I wonder what kind of jobs shld a 1st class Honours Grad get then?

    BTW, I may be a little lost on the education scene since I'd left formal state education 10yrs ago. How many 1st class Hons Grad are NUS, NTU & SMU churning out each year?
    How many faculty does each one have? probably 1 from each, and my guess is most grabbed by foreigners as well... own3d...

    Anyway 1st class honours in sg if cannot find a job, can always go take masters, then phD, then end up being a taxi driver (hehehe... think taxi driver so easy meh)...

    Or new job for them, work at the new Casino... esp those with good statistics background... can guess probability of the next card... device a new jackpot probability. etc... engineers can go R&D new lubricant for the roulette wheel. There are always tonnes of jobs available...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  4. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    my sister, not me lah. The point is make the correct career choices. She went into Pharmacy WAY WAY b4 the biomedical thingy got started in singapore.

    I think the obvious point is DON'T go into the HOT courses unless you are exceptional (which in that case, it doesn't matter where you go)
    so shld advise the kids dun go into diploma in Casion Science?

  5. #145
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    elite no need to work hard.. it's a birth right not an earned status.
    Wait Miss Wee come in then you know.

  6. #146

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    I had to agree that Singapore gov't don't "help" as much as other countries would for their own people.

    Personally it's whoever is willing to take less, the job would go to whoever.
    Why would I want to pay to employ a Singaporean who will be taking a higher pay and a higher CPF contribution, when i can employ a non-Singaporean at a lower pay and lower FWL. I would rather not stop the Singaporean to find a better job, so he/she can pay for all that he/she has to pay for.

    Well, FREE TRADE reigns!!

  7. #147

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...l#MainPar_0002

    Actually there's a job exlusive to us Singaporean. Taxi drivers...
    Don't have to worry about employers' views about reservice, CPF, benefits... etc.

  8. #148
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    my sister, not me lah. The point is make the correct career choices. She went into Pharmacy WAY WAY b4 the biomedical thingy got started in singapore.

    I think the obvious point is DON'T go into the HOT courses unless you are exceptional (which in that case, it doesn't matter where you go)
    The only COLD course available to me was refrigeration certificate.

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I had to agree that Singapore gov't don't "help" as much as other countries would for their own people.
    in many other countries, people vote for obvious reasons ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    Personally it's whoever is willing to take less, the job would go to whoever.
    Why would I want to pay to employ a Singaporean who will be taking a higher pay and a higher CPF contribution, when i can employ a non-Singaporean at a lower pay and lower FWL. I would rather not stop the Singaporean to find a better job, so he/she can pay for all that he/she has to pay for.

    Well, FREE TRADE reigns!!
    in Singapore, for many people i think in order to move ahead in such a 'free' job market, you must not look at yourself as a Singaporean. sad but true. of course there'll be other problems when everyone starts to think that way.

  10. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...l#MainPar_0002

    Actually there's a job exlusive to us Singaporean. Taxi drivers...
    Don't have to worry about employers' views about reservice, CPF, benefits... etc.
    when everyone drives a taxi, who's going to take a taxi ride? oh yah, i forgot about the elites, maybe when their cars breakdown

  11. #151
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    we are united what! what are you talking about?
    I think he means unity of brotherhood between The Elites and The Non-Elites.

  12. #152

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    so guys, do we blame our parents not rich and born u in singapore?

    do we blame that things aren't fair to us?

    come on it is your life, your parents love you so they teach you something good, but in the end you are the one to grow up and experience some mistake and grow into adulthood.

    your country love you so they give u a safe clean environment, but in the end..you still have to try hard to walk your own path.. please, if you don't compare your salary, size of your house, and brand of your car, u can survive any countries.

  13. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think he means unity of brotherhood between The Elites and The Non-Elites.
    sounds difficult already

  14. #154
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    End of the day..... the moral of the story is cannot beat them join them. Like me! Working hard day and night.

    I am not scholar and not child of some party member or minister so can forget about a elite position in civil service. However I praying that i win 4D or work hard enough and invest and make big returns to become rich so that I can become financially elite. Then i wont have to bother about the grumblings of the ones below me.....
    You got potentials of an Elite.

  15. #155

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    your country love you so they give u a safe clean environment, but in the end..you still have to try hard to walk your own path.. please, if you don't compare your salary, size of your house, and brand of your car, u can survive any countries.
    What is the use of a gov't if not to protect it's citizen? then why not let us arm ourselves with weapons? Why do we pay minister salaries? why do we pay GST? why do pay for lic?
    As long as we have to pay, then it's within our rights to demand. Unless one day, the gov't said will do the jobs for free, then the citizens will have no rights to complain at all.

  16. #156

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Be a hawker if you want to get rich. Some can fetch thousands of dollars monthly. More than our engineers, managers and accountants.

    Selling foods can make you rich. I read a book written by a Malaysian about doing business in the food industry. He cited these people as the 'silent millionaire of Malaysia". Over the years, not many people know how much these people are able to earn.

    One indonesian who worked illegally in Malaysia intially, then become a drink sellers by the road side. After several months, he increase his drink stalls to seven because business is brisk. He was earning something like 15 thoudand dollars per month!

    You see, even the drink seller can earn this amount by the road side. (of course, in Malaysia, they don't have to apply for a hawker license or rent a stall for the business)

    The message is: Do not look lightly at such profession. Who knows? You may earn more than a graduate.

  17. #157

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    What is the use of a gov't if not to protect it's citizen? then why not let us arm ourselves with weapons? Why do we pay minister salaries? why do we pay GST? why do pay for lic?
    As long as we have to pay, then it's within our rights to demand. Unless one day, the gov't said we will do our jobs for free, then we will have no rights to complain at all.
    do you expect our parents to protect us in our adulthood?

    I thought singaporean always proud of their government, and their city environment, their education(?)..and that's what they can do for you..

    FT also pays those things ler..

  18. #158
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    so shld advise the kids dun go into diploma in Casion Science?
    On the contrary I bought my 1-year-old a plastic toy roulette wheel. Might as well start them young.

    I hope he doesn't gamble away the milk powder I've bought for him.

  19. #159

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    do you expect our parents to protect us in our adulthood?

    I thought singaporean always proud of their government, and their city environment, their education(?)..and that's what they can do for you..

    FT also pays those things ler..

    In the frist place, I don't pay my parents. They did everything out of love for me.

    I am proud of my gov't, but then I just feel that they should not grumble (not that i heard much grumblings from them) just because we complain a bit, afterall it's our feelings of current situations. Err My mistake here, i don't think the gov't grumble... it's the ppl who is grumbling tha some of us grumble... I think... *scratches head*

    I did not say that FT don't pay, I also did not say they cannot complain.

    I am just saying that the gov't should take what the people had feedback, that's all. And that we do have a right to complain, because each cent is hard earned money, the sky don't drop money onto us.
    Last edited by Nisa; 18th January 2007 at 05:42 PM.

  20. #160

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    To be in your own comfort zone for too long will be your own undoing.

    The govt, will not change their stand in near future, and singaporeans will most gladly "forget" about their complains when it comes to election.

    Let's all "whine" now about the elites, PRs and foreigners. In the meantime, the situation will be the same next year for all of us.



    Welcome to Globalization. Welcome to Singapore Pte Ltd .

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •