Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 341

Thread: Employ Singaporeans for what?

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Unfortunate to say the least.

    I believe u and I recall the times when we are all young, our parents and perhaps even teachers innoculate such words into us (and to date, I still hear some parents preaching this to their children!!)

    Parent/Teacher: Nah! U see the person there sweeping the road ah boy? U know why?
    Child: Dunno leh. Why?
    Parent/Teacher: Its becos they never study alot! Next time if u never study, go and sweep roads loh!
    Child: Orrr...
    Parent/Teacher: Must remember, next time must study high-high, and den take high-high pay. Den wun become roadsweeper....

    Simple words no doubt, but it will affect the child unconsciously in their motivation to study. To the child who can't differentiate between Right & Wrong, the Logical & Illogical, the deeper/hidden reason behind words, the child would naturally work hard and end up grasping (and possibly passing on) the childish mentality & equation of:

    Education = Easy Work = High Pay = White Collar = Class = Powerful Position = No subjucation to anyone

    No Education = Hard Labour = Blue Collar = Low Class = Low Pay = Subjected to utter humiliation

    High time parents kill this unconsicious equation once & for all and nip it in the bud before half of the future population ends up with this dumb equation.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    come to think about it, i dun even know y the govt wanna start the 5 days work week... its killing off u guys literally. my side still work on 6 days, and most foreign workers are happy to work on saturday as they have no where to go as well, and only singaporeans come interview hear 6 days work week all zao lang liao... and singaporeans who is in our company on saturday is like dun come better, all turn off mode, then never on time... come for few mins then go liao, like its a chore for them, and they come show face is give u face... u get the feel?
    Yah... quite true hor.
    I am staying near Harbourfront and I go to Loyang to work. If ask me to go do OT on Sat, I sure sian one... have to pay 5~6 bucks for transport somemore nothing to eat there during weekend.

    The advantage for being a Foreigner / PR in this case is just simply re-locate and rent a place nearer to work lor. Singaporeans simply tied to their housing property. Somemore some of them their family not around in Singapore, so don't have to go for family outing.

    So Singaporeans, to stay competitive (unless you working for the garmen), here's a checklist:

    1. Severe all ties with your family.
    2. Sell all your property, don't bother buying also. Just rent / camp near your workplace.
    3. Go chao keng and get PES E status, until SAF kick you out.
    4. Best resort, drop your citizenship, get a foreign passport and fake yourself as a foreigner back in Singapore.

    Stressed has brought the craze out of me again.

  3. #43
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    not really lah, u got see sg so called elites being treated as 2nd class?

    I think its the 'ahem' who gives you the thinking u are 2nd class... most of us are just worker class, get low pay, work long hours while these so called 'elites' just talk c*ck, sing song, then u guys will slog like hell even more... and end of the day they are 1st class u forever 2nd class... like my lect once said, a 1st class honours always 1st class, 2nd class always 2nd class, upper or lower also still 2nd class, its like a Merc benz vs a Proton Saga, no fight...
    Wahaha ! Good one



    I agreed wif what hoky says

    Experienced the same prob too.

    When employees tell their boss that they going for 3 weeks of high key reservice, their face

    turn

    The 1st time I recieved my callup in my current company. My boss once told me to defer. He

    said it blatantly if my unit rejects, my unit can keep me and I stay there, no need come

    back (Which means, die die must defer, if not ... )

    I defer alot of time liao... last reservice 2yrs+ back.

    But this coming april or march die die must go back reservice ! My unit need me to clear the previous years.. (Chalet time !) but also (Worried)

    And my boss reaction to the recent news that the garment wants employer's CPF to restore back 1 or 2%, was like
    Kept complaining "How to increase salary of employee wif this extra burden? (AS IF HE GONA TO RAISE OUR SALARY PUI!!) " and continued.. "How to be more competitive like that, with increasing high overheads, garment should reduce employer CPF so that we can pay singaporean high salary...." Wah koaz.. He got politician blood in him
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  4. #44

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Some telemarketer from Oracle (10g) call me the other day wanting to sell stuff. She spoke with an American Filipino accent. Really turn me off and I really wanted to slam the phone down. I really wish there is a Singaporean on the other line. Why can't they hire local people to speak to local people? They sure got lots of money as an Oracle license is not cheap.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Wahaha ! Good one



    I agreed wif what hoky says

    Experienced the same prob too.

    When employees tell their boss that they going for 3 weeks of high key reservice, their face

    turn

    The 1st time I recieved my callup in my current company. My boss once told me to defer. He

    said it blatantly if my unit rejects, my unit can keep me and I stay there, no need come

    back (Which means, die die must defer, if not ... )

    I defer alot of time liao... last reservice 2yrs+ back.

    But this coming april or march die die must go back reservice ! My unit need me to clear the previous years.. (Chalet time !) but also (Worried)

    And my boss reaction to the recent news that the garment wants employer's CPF to restore back 1 or 2%, was like
    Kept complaining "How to increase salary of employee wif this extra burden? (AS IF HE GONA TO RAISE OUR SALARY PUI!!) " and continued.. "How to be more competitive like that, with increasing high overheads, garment should reduce employer CPF so that we can pay singaporean high salary...." Wah koaz.. He got politician blood in him
    Time for you to look for a better boss then
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanafi View Post
    Some telemarketer from Oracle (10g) call me the other day wanting to sell stuff. She spoke with an American Filipino accent. Really turn me off and I really wanted to slam the phone down. I really wish there is a Singaporean on the other line. Why can't they hire local people to speak to local people? They sure got lots of money as an Oracle license is not cheap.
    they are calling from philipines lah...

    anyway, i find them very rude, and normally i just slam their fone...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by major_tom View Post
    you've got a point. the coin has 2 sides. Most of the time, the answers to the above Qs is a NO.
    I think most of us have become too pampered by the jeng-hu that we have become complacent and lack life's survival instincts. We become so dependent on our 'parents' and when they wanna take away the leash, we start to cry.....
    and most of the young theses days expect high salary when they graduate from poly and within 1 yr wanna be manager ie have pple report to them.

    In my co,. during staff appraisal, this 22-yo gal complained that she is not a manager when she is a poly grad. Damn shallow.
    i think the gov is having a hard time with our Singaporeans.
    On the one hand, they try to improve our life, lifestyle, arts, living std, obey laws and orders, compassion, 5-day week, annual leave, double pay etc.... , and on the other hand, becoz of these the citizens expect the gov to take care of them in every things ..... schools - most be new and have good faciltiies, NS - officers mustn't be rude to our children, conditions have to be good, even camp foods have survey, TV, etc..., clinics/buses air-con and must have plasma TV, etc...etc....
    My friend's co last time have 5 Sg aunties to do merchandizing in supermarket, but aunties complain nite time must watch korean movies, things too heavy, one day can do only 2 or 3 stores, etc.... then last year they changed to 2 China workers ... now they even got time to help out in fty .... now whose fault?
    I think Singaporeans complain too much .....
    always the Light, .... always.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Now even SIA is doing the same to those lazy Australians ... they are firing many Aus workers and transfer the call centres to India.

    This is a warning to all the workers and governments ... that BIG businesses have no , no need to worry too much for them... they will go where it is most competitive.
    always the Light, .... always.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Aiya PRs are treated like Singaporeans..
    WRONG! PRs are far from being treated like Singaporeans la. Next time your HDB needs new lift, go ask your PR neighbor how much they have to pay. APart from that, think of all the benefits that PR are not entitled to.

    Don't think Singaporeans have anything to worry about le..SG government really looking after Singaporeans le.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    I am staying near Harbourfront and I go to Loyang to work. If ask me to go do OT on Sat, I sure sian one... have to pay 5~6 bucks for transport somemore nothing to eat there during weekend.
    stay at harbour front, go to loyang to work is considered long distance to travel to work...??

    what about those who stay in JB, every day wake up 6am (some even 530am) and travel all the way to SG. When they reach home..it is for sure after 8pm. Never have a chance to have dinner together with their families on time....





    There are lots of factory, especially those in Tuas. You will find out that 50% of the factories workers are non Singaporean. Why..?

    Travel all the way to Tuas.
    Work 12hours shift day/night.
    Shift on the weekend.
    Average monthly paid $1050.

    It is a fact that lots of Singaporean do not want this kinda of job.

    Short of labour..then how..? Either the factory move out from Singapore, or to employ non Singaporen.

    Thus..there are thousands from JB, and mainland China who is more than willing to take these vacancies.

    And some Singaporean who are looking for a job...keep complaining that foreigner had taken away all the job opportunities.


    Overall singaporean is not hungry enough.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 18th January 2007 at 11:45 AM.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    I just got an E-SAF100 yesterday asking me to go back unit for a briefing.
    Commuting to work by the MRT today, I told a fellow colleague about my latest call-up. Then I heard some comments saying "employers shouldn't employ Singaporeans, so troublesome, need to reservist, need CPF... etc."

    Looking around my dept (being the only Singaporean out of 8) and as well as the rest of my cohorts in my company (PRs / EPs mostly from Mainland China, India or Malaysia), I can't help but feel that Singapore has turned into a such "mini-China / India" and Singaporeans going to the dumps as a second class resident.

    Anyone feeling the same thing.
    wah.. u a bit slow leh ! it has been an old problem... Singaporeans are expensive labour becos of their higher CPF rates and ICT/RT for guys.. I was stunned when people still asking for CPF restoration... i guess these are from civil sector, not private sector.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrogLAH View Post
    WRONG! PRs are far from being treated like Singaporeans la. Next time your HDB needs new lift, go ask your PR neighbor how much they have to pay. APart from that, think of all the benefits that PR are not entitled to.

    SG government really looking after Singaporeans le.
    Yah, the benefits of not being able to spend 2 or 2.5 years in a monkey suit running around in the forest or some disused houses and getting a miserable allowance which Singaporean like it or not has to enjoy.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Now even SIA is doing the same to those lazy Australians ... they are firing many Aus workers and transfer the call centres to India.

    This is a warning to all the workers and governments ... that BIG businesses have no , no need to worry too much for them... they will go where it is most competitive.
    i am suprised why they pick India, India call centre is getting expensive... instead i will prefer homeland.. get those retired aunties and trained up them. It serves to help absorb jobless people in our country.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrogLAH View Post
    WRONG! PRs are far from being treated like Singaporeans la. Next time your HDB needs new lift, go ask your PR neighbor how much they have to pay. APart from that, think of all the benefits that PR are not entitled to.

    Don't think Singaporeans have anything to worry about le..SG government really looking after Singaporeans le.

    fully agree.

    unemployed Singaporean who do not contribute tax to government, get some incentive before election.

    employed PR who do contribute tax to government, get nothing..

    where got same leh..???


    Look at other issue PR vs Citizen benefit

    1) medical subsidy
    2) children education fees
    3) HDB subsidy
    etc......

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    fully agree.

    unemployed Singaporean who do not contribute tax to government, get some incentive before election.

    employed PR who do contribute tax to government, get nothing..

    where got same leh..???


    Look at other issue PR vs Citizen benefit

    1) medical subsidy
    2) children education fees
    3) HDB subsidy
    etc......
    unemployed singaporeans if buy things, got pay GST

  16. #56

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Singapore wants to be everything. It wants the most expensive workers(talented) and also, the lowest paid workers from third world countries. In the end, the average singaporeans will suffer badly from such a strategy when jobs are replaced by low-cost workers from other countries.

    The 'Rich' will get richer by making more profits from hiring as many low-cost workers as possible. The 'Poor' will get poorer when their income do not rise accordingly as the economy picks up.

    The only two options to riches is to be like our many 'elites' here in Singapore(gauranteed good job prospects) , or to run a small business initially(if you are not academically driven like our elites), and then gradually develop it into something bigger in the future.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    i think the gov is having a hard time with our Singaporeans.
    I think Singaporeans complain too much

    it is the first time in my life I heard that government are giving free money to the voters per election.

    yet..lots of singaporean complaint that the $ is too little.

    wa liao...suddenly someone give u free $ also want to complain..????
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 18th January 2007 at 11:47 AM.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Aiya PRs are treated like Singaporeans..
    PR need to go NS? (I actually not sure if PR need to to NS or not )

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    unemployed singaporeans if buy things, got pay GST

    so wat...?

    do u mean that if unemployed PR/foreign workers to buy things, no need to pay GST ???!!!!!

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Singapore wants to be everything. It wants the most expensive workers(talented) and also, the lowest paid workers from third world countries. In the end, the average singaporeans will suffer badly from such a strategy when jobs are replaced by low-cost workers from other countries.

    The 'Rich' will get richer by making more profits from hiring as many low-cost workers as possible. The 'Poor' will get poorer when their income do not rise accordingly as the economy picks up.

    The only two options to riches is to be like our many 'elites' here in Singapore(gauranteed good job prospects) , or to run a small business initially(if you are not academically driven like our elites), and then gradually develop it into something bigger in the future.
    sorry.. it is the New Poor, not poor.. why New Poor ? because they like to shop, eat and club with their little plastics.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •