Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Employ Singaporeans for what?

Default Re: Employ Singaporeans for what?

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    isn't that obvious? Fourteen pages long of thread should make you see it very clearly.

Singaporean are blaming the foreigners for the advantage of not taking NS.
    And like you say, foreigners, blames Singaporeans for being lazy and whiny and of lower quality.

Our long so called discussion here has got nothing to do with the problem that Singaporean has to serve NS, so, we are not solving any problem at all. We should question this to the authority. Afterall, we pay tax and we voted for them to represent us. But my next question is.... do you have the guts to ask this to the government? Or at least voice it out at the next GE??
    so afterall you're pushing the responsibility to the government. Singaporeans blaming foreigners? you need to wake up your idea, stop psychoing people into thinking that it's a blaming game. why would i not dare to do so? what about you? just sitting around blaming your own people. you know why problems don't get solved? because we have people like you thinking that the government will solve everything, and other people's effort are pointless, and simply negligible. just some useless complaints.

amateur_photographer, you know what? you remind me of the time when my friends and i started the PhotoAid campaign here on CS. here we were trying to group willing volunteers to contribute some little available effort to raise funds and i receive the following private message

''I will say it AGAIN: if you want to help, donate money! If not donate your time to the right organization.''

i kept this pm till today, as a reminder that when people have the will to make things work, we can, even though there are skeptics around who sit and do nothing but complain.

i do not know since when did people develop this unreasonable thinking that no good can come out of grassroot, we should just keep to the norm, and listen to established ideals and ideas. this is what is keeping Singaporeans from moving forward.
    Last edited by eikin; 21st January 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Actually there is a case.

It may not have been eloquently put across here but still, that does not mean that it is not true.

And 2˝ years of NS + 10 to 20 years of reservist, plus ICTs/IPPTs/RTs/BCTCs take their toll on citizens.

Here in Sing, we have young and able bodied male foreigners who live off our state, its security, comfort, fairmindedness, employment + business opportunities..... without having done any of the obligations mentioned before.

And worse... they often try to boss and push local Sing citizens around and thumb us down.

Let us not pretend that such injustice and behavior does not hurt.

So it will come to a point where the threshold of pain is crossed and Sing citizens are FED UP.

If you look at other countries, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, even Japan protect their citizens' rights and standing in the country very well.

We do not.
    It may take a catastrophic loss at the elections to change this.

Quote Originally Posted by beemaro View Post
    The word protectionalism reminds me immediately of Malaysian Bumiputeras (local malays) !

Actually, I equate SPoreans to Malaysian Malays (ie waiting to be spoon fed)
    Errrrr sorry even in Australia and USA.... WESTERN WHITE NATIONS, they do the same... it is called taking care of your own before you suck up to foreigners. Only Singapore NO 1 Foreigners are King, Locals are S***

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Actually there is a case.

It may not have been eloquently put across here but still, that does not mean that it is not true.

And 2˝ years of NS + 10 to 20 years of reservist, plus ICTs/IPPTs/RTs/BCTCs take their toll on citizens.

Here in Sing, we have young and able bodied male foreigners who live off our state, its security, comfort, fairmindedness, employment + business opportunities..... without having done any of the obligations mentioned before.

And worse... they often try to boss and push local Sing citizens around and thumb us down.

Let us not pretend that such injustice and behavior does not hurt.

So it will come to a point where the threshold of pain is crossed and Sing citizens are FED UP.

If you look at other countries, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, even Japan protect their citizens' rights and standing in the country very well.

We do not.
    It may take a catastrophic loss at the elections to change this.
    Yes I totally agree with you. In my line of work, we have clients that request for White Directors, say that that they are better, more artistic, and the ad looks better when tell their competitors directed by ang moh.

In China, when the market was opening up, they employed lots of FTs, they made them teach and if they wouldnt teach, they stole the knowledge. When they are done with them, they send them back to their country where they came from. Here we have FTs lording over us like our ex colonial masters and we have to serve them like servants. To add salt to the injury we have locals that keep belittling their own country man and want to suck up and defend FTs... my goodness if I had my way, I would propose you all go to their countries since you like them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Yes I totally agree with you. In my line of work, we have clients that request for White Directors, say that that they are better, more artistic, and the ad looks better when tell their competitors directed by ang moh.
    Which is quite true.

I presume you are in the advertising industry.

Let me ask you.
    Who are the pioneers for our creative ad industry?
    Ian Batey who crafted the Singapore Girl for SIA.
    Jim Aitchson and Neil French who had trained our locals to become better admans, to bring our creativity to the global standards.

Let's face it.... ang mohs are more creative...
    If not, our ads won't be looking exactly the same style as the western countries.
    Unlike the thais and the japs.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Unfortunate to say the least.

I believe u and I recall the times when we are all young, our parents and perhaps even teachers innoculate such words into us (and to date, I still hear some parents preaching this to their children!!)

Parent/Teacher: Nah! U see the person there sweeping the road ah boy? U know why?
    Child: Dunno leh. Why?
    Parent/Teacher: Its becos they never study alot! Next time if u never study, go and sweep roads loh!
    Child: Orrr...
    Parent/Teacher: Must remember, next time must study high-high, and den take high-high pay. Den wun become roadsweeper....

Simple words no doubt, but it will affect the child unconsciously in their motivation to study. To the child who can't differentiate between Right & Wrong, the Logical & Illogical, the deeper/hidden reason behind words, the child would naturally work hard and end up grasping (and possibly passing on) the childish mentality & equation of:

Education = Easy Work = High Pay = White Collar = Class = Powerful Position = No subjucation to anyone

No Education = Hard Labour = Blue Collar = Low Class = Low Pay = Subjected to utter humiliation

High time parents kill this unconsicious equation once & for all and nip it in the bud before half of the future population ends up with this dumb equation.
    what you said reminds me of meritocracy in singapore...u do well...u climb high...

“We are a multiracial society. We must have tolerance, harmony. … And you must have meritocracy … so everybody feels it is fair….” a quote from PM Mr Lee...

Deregistered

With 20k a month! Congrats Your family have elevated to Elite status.
    u sure the elites earns so little a mth???

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    so afterall you're pushing the responsibility to the government. Singaporeans blaming foreigners? you need to wake up your idea, stop psychoing people into thinking that it's a blaming game. why would i not dare to do so? what about you? just sitting around blaming your own people. you know why problems don't get solved? because we have people like you thinking that the government will solve everything, and other people's effort are pointless, and simply negligible. just some useless complaints.
    i fully agree with what you say...if we rely on the gov for everything...we are goner...

everyone in society have to take some form of responablity also...

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    If you are a Singaporean worker, answer these:
    1. Can you go OT tonight?
    2. Can you do Midnite shift?
    3. This Sunday, can you do OT to complete an urgent order, say from 7am?
    4. We are short of staff, can you help out in the cleaning of the staff/workers toilet?
    5. Can you please help out next 2 months stay in our branch office in HCM?
    7. ... etc...

Now, how to blame the Sg bosses? ...
    should blame the government to make our life so comfortable in Sg ....
    Yes I can do that, no problem.
    If da boss pays me the 5 digits salary as the Expats are getting & the 50 plus leaves per year.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Which is quite true.

I presume you are in the advertising industry.

Let me ask you.
    Who are the pioneers for our creative ad industry?
    Ian Batey who crafted the Singapore Girl for SIA.
    Jim Aitchson and Neil French who had trained our locals to become better admans, to bring our creativity to the global standards.

Let's face it.... ang mohs are more creative...
    If not, our ads won't be looking exactly the same style as the western countries.
    Unlike the thais and the japs.

Yes they are pioneers same as how our colonial masters where the pioneers who taught us how to use the fork and spoon and to have signs saying "No chinese and dogs allowed'

However do we need to be forever under that shadow? Do we really have no backbone that we cannot stand up for ourselves? Or are we as what the British said at the height of their colonial might. "We are doing God's duty as an civilised and advanced nation to bring order and peace to these poor savages who without our guidance will degenerate into total depravity"

If your theory is correct then yes Singaporeans are idiots, dumb, not creative and we need our "kind" ang moh creatives to show us the way.....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Yes I can do that, no problem.
    If da boss pays me the 5 digits salary as the Expats are getting & the 50 plus leaves per year.
    typical singaporean worker...

when u are in such high position...its a responability already...

Again, its the same mentality of da boss.

He don't give, where got ppl wanna work. Then think FTs are good, pay high high, leave more more, in the end, they also come here talk talk act act, get money, a few years, say bye bye.

Guessed who are the ones really working hard.
    APAD | Blog

Again, its the same mentality of da boss.

He don't give, where got ppl wanna work. Then think FTs are good, pay high high, leave more more, in the end, they also come here talk talk act act, get money, a few years, say bye bye.

Guessed who are the ones really working hard.
    True true.... FTs come and fight for rights, tell you I want this this and that as part of my package. Not a cent less and not a hour more of work according to contract. You dont pay? Nevermind, long line of local bosses like you that want my FT services.

Locals? Fight for rights. Boss tell you "You are lucky I give you a job, if not you will be jobless, what? higher pay? Next year I promise to see how after review. What? Work OT? Hiya... help out help out mah.... You know the FT, his contract say no work on Weekends.. you and me brother brother Singaporean you will help right??"

End of the day who works more for less?? You see for yourself.

I am the one working more for less lor.
    APAD | Blog

If your theory is correct then yes Singaporeans are idiots, dumb, not creative and we need our "kind" ang moh creatives to show us the way.....
    Sorry, i don't come up that theory but results had shown ang mohs are indeed more creative in terms of annual awards given.

Look at the number of awards given to our ad agencies.
    Look at the names of the art directors and copywriters.

See how many foreign names appearing compare to locals.

Of coz, i dun wish to see we are always followers...but then again, in this industry, clients trusted the ang mohs more than the locals.

How many local agencies creativity are on par with the global agencies?
    10am and Kinetic.

Only 2 of them which i considered the best....
    Isn't that pathetic?

If you can name any 5....do let me know.
    The rest of the local agencies doesn't come close.....when comes to creativity standards.

Although i would like to support the locals.....unfortunately, results speaks more clearly than anything else.

I am the one working more for less lor.
    strategise and work your way out, got to grab opportunities like there's no tomorrow. aim for better jobs if this one's not worth staying.

Emm you cannot compare like that one leh. Too complex to go into details.

Say for MNC, the heads are mostly FTs. Then the designers (Mixed of locals and FTs), brainstormed, conceptualized, do it. Trial, edit. Made it.

Won the award, but then the MASTER will be that particular high official head. Yes it is a team effort, but the representing head will be the Ang Mo heading the team. (Since all the team heads by an Ang Mo).

Therefore, this statistic cannot be used to represent the creativeness of locals vs FTs.
    APAD | Blog

Say for MNC, the heads are mostly FTs. Then the designers (Mixed of locals and FTs), brainstormed, conceptualized, do it. Trial, edit. Made it.

Won the award, but then the MASTER will be that particular high official head. Yes it is a team effort, but the representing head will be the Ang Mo heading the team. (Since all the team heads by an Ang Mo).

Therefore, this statistic cannot be used to represent the creativeness of locals vs FTs.

Hmmm...you do have a valid point.
    but like i said earlier....how many local agencies are on par with global agencies?

Only 2.
    I wish there are more...but unfortunately, it is not that i wanna condemn local agencies.....itz a proven fact that most of them really cannot make it.

Well, how to promote creativity when you are busy trying to get food on the table? An expats with 5 digits salary juz need to get creative. They don't try to think of how to get the moola for tonight's dinner.
    APAD | Blog

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617 ... LastLast