Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    258

    Default UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Hi...
    I have B+W UV haze MRC filter and Cir PL filter too.
    When is the right enviroment/condition to use UV and/or Cir PL filter ?

    --> My friend adviced me to use CirPL when taking photo during
    bright/sunny day (noon time) but just using UV filter when taking photo
    around afternoon time (after 5pm onwards).

    Is it correct ?

    Pls advice or share your opinion.
    Thx

  2. #2

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo... View Post
    Hi...
    I have B+W UV haze MRC filter and Cir PL filter too.
    When is the right enviroment/condition to use UV and/or Cir PL filter ?

    --> My friend adviced me to use CirPL when taking photo during
    bright/sunny day (noon time) but just using UV filter when taking photo
    around afternoon time (after 5pm onwards).

    Is it correct ?

    Pls advice or share your opinion.
    Thx
    from what i know a polariser works best when the sun is at a low angle in the sky, thus using it after 5pm should yield stronger polarisation

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo... View Post
    Hi...
    I have B+W UV haze MRC filter and Cir PL filter too.
    When is the right enviroment/condition to use UV and/or Cir PL filter ?

    --> My friend adviced me to use CirPL when taking photo during
    bright/sunny day (noon time) but just using UV filter when taking photo
    around afternoon time (after 5pm onwards).

    Is it correct ?

    Pls advice or share your opinion.
    Thx
    UV filters are meant for filtering out UV lights and also double up as lens protector so it should be on always not after 5pm!

    CPLs in a nutshell helps to saturate colors in your shots especially common when used to make blue skies bluer, and to cut down reflections caused by glass or water. This is more commonly used when the sun is at right angles with you usually at afternoons NOT at noon time!

    Please do a search in the forum... tons of info on these here.

  4. #4

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Interestingly, HOYA created a filter that has both properties...ie UV and C-PL. Whether it performs as specified, I have not tried it.

    http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/gf-05.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,651

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    I just find it quite unbelieveable you bought filters without knowing how to use them......

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    258

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Thanks for all of you who gave good information
    I do appreciate that !

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Actually you can use the polariser anytime, but it depends on your usage.

    Other than deepening the blue sky, you can use a polariser for:
    - increasing saturation of foliage
    - eliminate reflection from shop's display window, allowing you to shot at the products without the distracting reflection from the glass.
    - used as a 2 stop(?) neutral density filter, giving you a slower shutter speed
    - used creatively on certain surfaces to get all the weird polarised colours
    - protects your front element, but at the expense of losing 2 stops(?)

    You can say that polariser is a pretty useful filter, even for digital photography. I'm sure some others can think of more uses for a polariser.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  8. #8

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    As an add-on question after reading this, Can Cir-Polarizers stack on top of UV filter?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Quote Originally Posted by JeeT77 View Post
    As an add-on question after reading this, Can Cir-Polarizers stack on top of UV filter?
    Yes. But do watch out for vignetting when stacking.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    UV filter is just to adsorb UV light. I think almost glass adsorbs UV ray. So don't need 2 filters UV and CPL stacking on top of each other bah..use 1 enough. I don't even have an UV filter ..
    A person is useless unless he is standing up for himself, for his future, and for his dreams.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Quote Originally Posted by standingup View Post
    UV filter is just to adsorb UV light. I think almost glass adsorbs UV ray. So don't need 2 filters UV and CPL stacking on top of each other bah..use 1 enough. I don't even have an UV filter ..
    On digital, most UV acts as a protector... UV filter is important when it comes to film photography..

  12. #12

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Yup... and i may not want to spend the time to clean both front element and the UV filter (which acts as lens protector) when i unscrew - then re-screw after done with the circ-polarizer..

    me just lazy :P and picky if i see dust on either side...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    On digital, most UV acts as a protector... UV filter is important when it comes to film photography..
    Yeah.thanks ExploerZ. For film i think UV will affect the blue layer on film. For digital, almost UV filter acts as protectors but I tried last time a Tiffen UV filter (model 8.. something forgot liao). I feel it make the pic warmer....
    A person is useless unless he is standing up for himself, for his future, and for his dreams.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

    Quote Originally Posted by standingup View Post
    Yeah.thanks ExploerZ. For film i think UV will affect the blue layer on film. For digital, almost UV filter acts as protectors but I tried last time a Tiffen UV filter (model 8.. something forgot liao). I feel it make the pic warmer....
    warmer... not sure...
    maybe yours is skylight instead of UV or could be inconsistant auto WB from most digital cam

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •