Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Haha .... don noe what the TS actually wanted it to mean .... but usually "prick" is another word for "pen1s" or person with a very high authority, highly successful and is usually very much hated/envied by others ......

No... When referring to a person, it means the person is a jerk/annoying. From dictionary. com:

7. Slang: Vulgar.
    b. an obnoxious or contemptible person.

if you think you have a case, no harm trying .. send a 'long' letter to the CEO,
    you might get a discount or FOC repair ..

Quote Originally Posted by jasonct View Post
    send a complaint letter to them loh ..

NIKON CORPORATION
    Fuji Bldg., 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
    100-8331, Japan
    Tel: +81-3-3214-5311

KARIYA, Michio
    President, Member of the Board,
    Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer

I don't even know which of TS post to quote. All of them do not make sense. all of them wants to pass the responsibility to Nikon.

It was a fact that, due to some accident totally out of Nikon's control, the camera was damanged. It was not a warranty repair, it was a wear and tear repair, it was not a repair of manufacturing defects, but one cased by an accident.

Suck it in, and admit you did it. Take responsibility.

Now to the cost of the repair.

Repair means labor, to take it apart, to examine the damages, to reinstall the new parts and to put it back together. Skill labor is not cheap. The part is usually a small part of the cost. Don't forget, individual small offices/repair centers had to be maintained and staffed. Parts might have to be flown in from a central hub. It does not matter how expansive or cheap your camera is. The repair cost is independent of the cost of the camera. Repair is usually parts+labor+overhead allocation+markup.

So, what to do? Your choice, but don't cry here.

hmm .. maybe next time, buy a expensive camera 5000.00 and above .. so if repair cost is 200.00, then you will find it cheap loh .. only 4% of the cost of the camera ..

The manufacturer has already done their homework. Their factory can churn out say 1,000 units per day (just an imaginary figure). Because of most of the assembly line functions are mechanised and due to economies of scale, they can hence sell the cameras very cheaply per unit.

However, if they hire a team of technicians (on a permanent payroll) to service/repair x no. of cameras per day, the cost doesn't make sense. Hence they might just hire 1 tecnician. And pass on the costs to consumers by charging high to justify keeping the technician on a permanent payroll.

Make sense?

to those that miss the point here.

i am lazy to say it over and over again .

to those who had try to help thanks you .
    and to those who did not help much and end up nose into my profile - hope you got your kick

as a end user . i did what i can sending it for repair .

is not the price of the product .
    and repair cost is never that expensive .

knowledge yes much needed .
    parts nikon must have .
    -
    you are as good as saying . is ok to quote high repair cost .
    next time when one of your product or camera is damage .
    then you would understand .

i can easily go buy a new camera . why this fuss then ..
    cos simplely i felt that large MNC not just nikon many company have poor if not zero sale service .

giving me such a high quote is unreasonable .
    it just make the company trying to aviod responiblity

so i can go open a shop . sell some junk . and when buyer go home the junk is damage i make them pay 90 % for repair cost . that is bad bussiness .

while you compare $200 to a $5000 product you got to compare in %

if your DSLR is damage and NIkon ask you 2000 for repair when you DSLR cost $2500 how would you feel /

i would see what i can . and send a mail . in .

Thanks to some and thanks for making this thread hitting almost 70 repply in just few hour whahhahaha a

maybe to TS .. anything that does not lower the repair cost .. it does not make sense to him

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    The manufacturer has already done their homework. Their factory can churn out say 1,000 units per day (just an imaginary figure). Because of most of the assembly line functions are mechanised and due to economies of scale, they can hence sell the cameras very cheaply per unit.

However, if they hire a team of technicians (on a permanent payroll) to service/repair x no. of cameras per day, the cost doesn't make sense. Hence they might just hire 1 tecnician. And pass on the costs to consumers by charging high to justify keeping the technician on a permanent payroll.

Make sense?

You mean . nikon need to hire a new guy to repair my L4 ??
    that would be a JOKE and BuLL$%^&*

Nikon would have some guy if not a Team - that look into such problem on a pay roll .

if there don't - then the more the company is losing my faith ..

is not the price . is the service and the trust that Nikon would provide me that is being betary

well . i did not blame nikon for the camera being damage
    but i blame it for trying to force me to throw away what i buy and get another camera .

-

What we have here is a case of "Out of Touch with Reality".

Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post

Nikon would have some guy if not a Team - that look into such problem on a pay roll .

is not the price . is the service and the trust that Nikon would provide me that is being betary

but i blame it for trying to force me to throw away what i buy and get another camera .

-
    And how would you know which parts aren't damaged and doesn't need replacing? Doesn't that take experienced men to check and inform you of the estimated cost?

Such write-offs are common even in automobiles. Sometimes, the parts are too expensive and does not warrant the repairs. In the end, it's all up to you. You wish to rant about the expensive repairs or find a cheaper camera, it's all up to you. We can only watch and offer advises or statements on what we think or feel.

-
    It doesn't matter because the tech usually needs to clock the hours he works. It makes no difference whether he services a $2000 DSLR or a $200 compact.

Moreover, the service centre is set up as quality assurance to address manufacturing defects, not to repair damages due to accident or acts of God. If you have insured your camera, the insurance company should have addressed the repair or cover for a new one.

This happens not just for Nikon or Canon. It's also the same for Sony, Panasonic and other manufacturers. You can lament about it but it's a fact that they will pay the technicians the same just to keep them there.

Of course there are some makes which has cheap repair prices. That's probably because their defect rate is also so high that they can cover the operating cost just from the repairs or sales alone. Which would you prefer?

I think I can probably safely say that if the repair cost is high, then the brand probably have so little defects that they need to charge a lot just to help keep their technicians there.

And for myself, I just stepped into Nikon service centre only once just to buy some accessories. None of my cameras/lenses need any attention from them.....yet. And I hope it stays that way.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th January 2007 at 03:08 PM.

giving me such a high quote is unreasonable .
    it just make the company trying to aviod responiblity
    No. That's the price for the new LCD, the man-hours for the technician, etc. They're not trying to avoid responsibility at all. They are not refusing to repair your cam.

so i can go open a shop . sell some junk . and when buyer go home the junk is damage i make them pay 90 % for repair cost . that is bad bussiness .
    If the junk costs 100 dollars or 10,000 dollars and repairing it will take you 4 hours... Add the cost of 4 man-hours and the cost of replacement part and you get 80. That's the price, you can't lose money just because your customer insists on being a cheapskate and tries to do a "percentage of initial cost" calculation on repairs for a cheap consumer cam.

while you compare $200 to a $5000 product you got to compare in %
    By your logic, the repair costs should be $10. Get real! If the costs are $200 no matter what the cost of the cam, then you just lucked out in the percentages by getting a cheap cam in the first place.

if your DSLR is damage and NIkon ask you 2000 for repair when you DSLR cost $2500 how would you feel /
    Our point is, it would cost 200 dollars even if it's a more expensive cam. It's your own logic and math that are messed up. You obviously have no comprehension of how business and service centers work. I hope you never, ever, invest your family's money in a business.

I think the cost is reasonable for them to hire some people to deal with a person like you!

sigh... .. so much comment but so little who give a damn .anyway thanks for some advice on address and many unless and in fact helpless advice .

go on and proof to me how bussiness work .. and how right you are ..

i never did say anything about wanting the cam fix at $10 ..

so don't assume you know me ..
    anyway .. since most this thread is soon going to be about me then the camera being fix and problem being slove i suggest let all give it a break .

easy to comment - enjoy your comment . and thanks to those that did give some useful advice and thanks to the guy who give me the ebaylink. which gave me an idea ..

also the guyw ho gave me the CEO address whhaha

and those who .. jus commetning cos tehre felt that by giving their worthless 2 cent it would make them look great .. i suggest there is a saying that if you have notthing beter to say .keep it to yourself
    . why come rub it in like some dog after **** .

Thanks .

sigh... .. so much comment but so little who give a damn .anyway thanks for some advice on address and many unless and in fact helpless advice .

go on and proof to me how bussiness work .. and how right you are ..

i never did say anything about wanting the cam fix at $10 ..

so don't assume you know me ..
    anyway .. since most this thread is soon going to be about me then the camera being fix and problem being slove i suggest let all give it a break .

easy to comment - enjoy your comment . and thanks to those that did give some useful advice and thanks to the guy who give me the ebaylink. which gave me an idea ..

also the guyw ho gave me the CEO address whhaha

and those who .. jus commetning cos tehre felt that by giving their worthless 2 cent it would make them look great .. i suggest there is a saying that if you have notthing beter to say .keep it to yourself
    . why come rub it in like some dog after **** .

Thanks .

Like I mentioned earlier, you could negotiate with them to see if you could get some consession to get a replacement instead of getting it repaired. At least Philips offered me something like that and it was no manufacturing defect. It spoilt due to a battery leak. If they had offered you a $100 concession to buy a new one, then you'd only pay $150 for a new one and both parties would be happy, right?

Maybe say something like this.. "I think $200 is too expensive considering that the camera is only $250, so I don't think it's worth it for me to get it repaired. If I would like to stick to your brand, do you think you can give me some discount if I buy back the same model?" To them, that would probably be one more sales done. You happy, they happy. If cannot, then go somewhere else. I know Canon in Singapore is able to give discounts for a new camera if the old one is deemed to be too expensive to repair.

Sorry for not being able to help much because although I'm a Nikon user myself, I haven't had any real experience with the service centre yet.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th January 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Account Suspended

Forget Nikon, go for Canon.

Nikon CMI.

YES! It is a conspiracy! All these MNCs are out there to suck us dry of our hard earn money! They are not interested in anything but to make money. We shall not bow down to this exploiting capitalist powers!

不向恶势力低头!打倒资本主义!

... sorry I was a bit carried away...

Unfortunately, I still love my D80. Hopefully, I won't get into an accident and need to pay $2000 for replacement of my broken LCD. *keeping my fingers cross*

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 16th January 2007 at 03:46 PM.

hmm.......

Thanks for such cheerful reply

i am pondering my mind on how best to slove this ..

i am a reasonable person .. with a problem . small and cheap as it can be .. i would want to slove it in a win win way .

Thanks for such cheerful reply

i am pondering my mind on how best to slove this ..

i am a reasonable person .. with a problem . small and cheap as it can be .. i would want to slove it in a win win way .

Wish you all the best... ... Hopefully you need not resort to marching around with placards in front of the Nikon Service centre.

BC

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast