Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

Call it whatever you like to. Unfair or taking hostage or whatever.

Camera of this range are generally used and throw. Which means it is gnerally more difficult to repair. Repair cost can be high. Secondly part like LCD are normally proprietary parts which are controlled by the manufacturer. This means that manufacturer also pays a higher price for this items than commonly available parts. This means that it is almost impossible to get a replacement part outside of Nikon.
    $200 may appear steep but I will not expect anything less than $100. Perhaps you can talk to Nikon service center and explain the rationale and only they can help.

send a complaint letter to them loh ..

NIKON CORPORATION
    Fuji Bldg., 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
    100-8331, Japan
    Tel: +81-3-3214-5311

KARIYA, Michio
    President, Member of the Board,
    Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    cheap as it may be .. if the maker can sell it for $250
    there are making profit far beyond and the cost of producing that camera maybe in the $40-$80 range .
    so to assume part is expensive is not likely .

plus .. nikon would have a logistic line that ship parts and goods to every part of the world every month if not week ..
    i did not even set a time on how fast i want it to repair .
    This just shows how much you know about running such business.

Selling cams manufactured in mass production have very significant cost advantage... their parts are ordered and timed to the minutes if not hour to prevent inventory buildup or production line stoppages. All these are translated to cost saving at consumer point.

Repairing a cam is like a "personalised" service. It takes time/brains/experience/training to disassemble your cam, diagnose the problem and repair the defective parts. It's very inefficient process and nowhere compared to the efficiency of a production line.

Nikon or any MNCs would have logistics line setup, but it's mainly for parts to the respective manufacturing lines ot the products to the respective dealers. These established logistic lines are for huge numbers of similar items... again it's economy of scale. You cannot just tag on to such logistic chains to send 1 LCD through. the customs and red tapes wouldn't allow it and it might cause a delay in the whole shipment. Such parts are usually handled by third party couriers and they are additional costs... a rough guide would be ebay/B&H/Dell shipping cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonct View Post
    send a complaint letter to them loh ..

NIKON CORPORATION
    Fuji Bldg., 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
    100-8331, Japan
    Tel: +81-3-3214-5311

KARIYA, Michio
    President, Member of the Board,
    Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer

mabbe he'll give you a free D40 for giving him a good laugh.

I now understand where this thread is heading

Just look at the TS profile :

designer , bussinessman , ideaist , dreamer , egoistic prick
    I think all of us can call it a day .

Quote Originally Posted by mega32 View Post
    I now understand where this thread is heading

Just look at the TS profile :

I think all of us can call it a day .
    dunnoe about the businessman part tho... else, this thread shouldn't last so long.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    dunnoe about the businessman part tho... else, this thread shouldn't last so long.
    . What is "egoistic prick" mean?

Regards,
    Arto.

I guess your best bet would be to just buy a new camera.

if you aren't happy with nikon, try other brands. sell the damaged set for parts.

whahahaha funny to dig out what i post - but i don't mind really .

i still want to get the camera fix .. cos is damage . and i would find a way since not much help is found here , and thanks for the address i would post a letter to them .

and find my own way .
    the advice is of value but just not that helping and get me noway .
    some do give reaosnable advice but if from a on looker point of view..

if everyone think like you when you have a damage product MNC would be very happy .

I did send it to a repair centre
    and after the Quote of close to 90 % repair price i reject and ask it to be send back .

You'll miss the point here.

as a buyer i know not about what happening next or least think i would damge my camera .

who would go damage your own camera for the sake of it ..

is not as easy as i don't want it repair .
    but when i done so . the price make it impossible to repair . at 90 % cost .

and why i say ransom . i said so cos i can't get it done else where beside Nikon itself ..

cheap as it may be .. if the maker can sell it for $250
    there are making profit far beyond and the cost of producing that camera maybe in the $40-$80 range .

plus .. nikon would have a logistic line that ship parts and goods to every part of the world every month if not week ..
    i did not even set a time on how fast i want it to repair .

being such a large company .. to give such a high ransom price of repair is just pure hostage act .

- i want to fix the camera but not at the 90 % cost price .
    what can i do .
    without any direction of help . this is really sad to know
    Yes it is really sad. Repair costs are not cheap.. What you can try to do is ask them if you can buy the parts from them and replace it yourself. It will be cheaper but it may not fiox your problem unless you know exactly what's wrong. For $200 add a bit more, you could get a new camera, but to repair it it doesn't matter if it's a $200 camera or a $1000 camera, they still need to pay the technician their pay to open up the thing.

I used to have a $300 Philips portable CD player but it went dead and I went back to get it repaired, the service centre quoted me $250 for the repair but gave me an option to buy a new model at $100 discount. Obviously the new models are cheaper and the $100 discount made it a good deal. Why do they do that? Simple, they think it's not worth their effort to repair it anymore. That's why they charge this kind of price.

You can ask Nikon if they would give you some concessions to buy a new one instead of repairing it. They might. It's probably cheaper to put the camera together from scratch because assembly operators need not be skilled. Technicians need to have knowledge to open up the thing, troubleshoot the problem, replace the parts, put the thing back together and make sure it's working before returning it to you. It's not just the parts you're paying for, you need to pay for the KNOWLEDGE also.

i still want to get the camera fix .. cos is damage . and i would find a way since not much help is found here , and thanks for the address i would post a letter to them .

and find my own way .

if everyone think like you when you have a damage product MNC would be very happy .
    well thats the real world...
    same goes for chicken rice... you don see them making plate by plate... but all at a time or as much quantity as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Just to make things clearer, when I asked for the cost of a general servicing, I was quoted $120. And just to clean the sensor would cost me $25 already. This cost still does not include any parts, just labour.

Actually for most electronic equipments, it is usually not worthwhile trying to repair those cheaper or lower end equipments. Parts maybe cheaper for these lower end equipments, but labour cost will still remain the same.
    And cleaning the sensor doesn't require opening up the camera.

and find my own way .

We respect your POV, even tho we might not agree. The contacts are already listed in this thread, hope they will give your some sort of lead to getting what you wanted.

Do update us on the outcome of this repair.

and find my own way .

I think the people here already give you realistic suggestions, but because our suggestions is not emphasize or 180degree from what you think it should be, you feel that our suggestions is not helping you.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Arto.

It costs $$$ for the service centre to repair items that are covered under warranty. For things that are NOT covered, somebody's got to pay for both the former and the latter, perhaps?

Of course!! They are a business, not a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    And cleaning the sensor doesn't require opening up the camera.
    Of course it does. This is a compact/consumer cam. Not a DSLR. You can't just remove the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post

Regards,
    Arto.
    That he's an egoist and a prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Of course it does. This is a compact/consumer cam. Not a DSLR. You can't just remove the lens.
    Compact/consumer camera doesn't have a problem with dust... Unless you open it...

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post

Regards,
    Arto.
    Haha .... don noe what the TS actually wanted it to mean .... but usually "prick" is another word for "pen1s" or person with a very high authority, highly successful and is usually very much hated/envied by others ......
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast