Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 119

Thread: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

  1. #21

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    SO .. if you go BUY a CAR . and when your car is damage -
    and you need to change a Value or wire . and Honda or mitsubishi come telling you that would be 90% of your car cost
    how would you feel ?
    A valve or wire on a car is nowhere close to the equivalent of the LCD on a digicam. A closer comparison would be the wrist-strap of your cam.

    Or, going with the car analogy, the equivalent would be the entire interior of the car.

    Let's say you have a $50,000 car. You get caught in the floods in Johor. The car starts and can drive, but the entire interior is ruined. Carpets, radio, CD/DVD player, GPS system, LCD TV screen, seats, all the wood and leather, the whole dashboard, etc etc etc. You take it to the manufacturer and they say that, including all the parts and the cost of labor, it would cost 40,000 to repair. That's actually a quite realistic cost.

  2. #22

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post

    can't help being betary by the brand i trusted for years

    if i am in amercia i would want to SUE nikon for this ..
    betarying comsumer trust

    You were not betrayed. Did they cheat you and give you a substandard LCD? Did you bring it for servicing and get back a cheaper cam? No. Therefore, you were not betrayed.

    If you were in america, your lawsuit would get dismissed as a frivolous lawsuit. "Being shocked/ignorant at the cost of repair" does not fall under "Betrayal of consumer trust".

    IF you brought it in for servicing and paid the fee, AND THEN it turns out the LCD you got is a lower-resolution one than the one originally in your cam, you might have a case. But just because you're shocked at the price? No.

  3. #23

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Asking a 90 % cost for A LCd which is PArt of a Digital cam . is in my term a Ransom helo cos being a user of the brand i can't turn to anyone else .
    ..

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    is this a new camera brand?
    He mean "is CANNON a new camera brand?" There is CANON (with one N), but not CANNON (with two N) .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  5. #25

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    Asking a 90 % cost for A LCd which is PArt of a Digital cam . is in my term a Ransom helo cos being a user of the brand i can't turn to anyone else .
    ..
    No. it's not a Ransom. And of course you can turn to others! There's Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pentax, etc etc etc.

    Are you contractually bound to only use Nikon? No.

    This is my suggestion: Get off your self-righteous pedestal and wake up to reality. You think you have a case? You have none.

    Do this: Go to the Nikon center. Ask them to just CHECK if the LCD needs to be replaced, or if the connectors are just loose. While they're at it, they can perform a general cleaning, and you only need to pay for a basic service charge if it turns out the LCD ribbon just came loose.

    "All these parts is never expensive" is also incorrect. Those cheap MP3 players don't use high-quality, high-contrast, high-brightness, high pixel density, low ms count LCD screens. Most good cameras do.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    SO .. if you go BUY a CAR . and when your car is damage -
    and you need to change a Value or wire . and Honda or mitsubishi come telling you that would be 90% of your car cost
    how would you feel ?
    You need to simmer down a bit as you are not thinking straight.

    You cannot compare high priced stuffs and throw the same percentage.

    If 90% of the car cost comes out to say $70,000. It is a lot. But a lot to who?
    Most of us. It is a perception.
    Let's look at it on the lower end (The case of your camera).
    Is $200 a lot? Not a lot, if someone send in a $4000 camera. But its a lot to your
    camera cost $250. That's like 80% of the cost! And its merely an LCD?!!?

    Well, If the $4000 camera LCD replacement cost $200. Would you think that it is high percentage? a 2.5%?

    What if the LCD used is exactly the same in both camera?

    Can you see more light now?
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    Asking a 90 % cost for A LCd which is PArt of a Digital cam . is in my term a Ransom helo cos being a user of the brand i can't turn to anyone else .
    ..
    You still don't understand, that 90% cost is not just for the LCD. The actual cost of the LCD could be less than half of your repair cost. You are actually paying for the repair service. If everyone just pay for the cost of the parts, you'll find the service center closing down very soon.

    BTW, the fault may not just be the LCD panel. Other components may need to be replaced.

  8. #28

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    BTW, the fault may not just be the LCD panel. Other components may need to be replaced.
    Yup. if the actual mainboard connector is cracked/damaged they'll need to replace that too.

  9. #29

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    so i send it to Thailand Nikon for repair .
    i got it for about $250
    and guess what - there want $200 for repair .
    I have the similar problem with my Canon Ixus 700 and I sent to Canon Singapore for replacement of the LCD (LCD broken) and the total cost was S$88 (including GST, labour and parts).
    always the Light, .... always.

  10. #30

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    I did send it to a repair centre
    and after the Quote of close to 90 % repair price i reject and ask it to be send back .

    You'll miss the point here.

    as a buyer i know not about what happening next or least think i would damge my camera .

    who would go damage your own camera for the sake of it ..

    is not as easy as i don't want it repair .
    but when i done so . the price make it impossible to repair . at 90 % cost .

    and why i say ransom . i said so cos i can't get it done else where beside Nikon itself ..

    cheap as it may be .. if the maker can sell it for $250
    there are making profit far beyond and the cost of producing that camera maybe in the $40-$80 range .
    so to assume part is expensive is not likely .

    plus .. nikon would have a logistic line that ship parts and goods to every part of the world every month if not week ..
    i did not even set a time on how fast i want it to repair .

    being such a large company .. to give such a high ransom price of repair is just pure hostage act .

    - i want to fix the camera but not at the 90 % cost price .
    what can i do .
    without any direction of help . this is really sad to know

  11. #31

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    I did send it to a repair centre
    and after the Quote of close to 90 % repair price i reject and ask it to be send back .

    You'll miss the point here.

    as a buyer i know not about what happening next or least think i would damge my camera .

    who would go damage your own camera for the sake of it ..

    is not as easy as i don't want it repair .
    but when i done so . the price make it impossible to repair . at 90 % cost .

    and why i say ransom . i said so cos i can't get it done else where beside Nikon itself ..

    cheap as it may be .. if the maker can sell it for $250
    there are making profit far beyond and the cost of producing that camera maybe in the $40-$80 range .
    so to assume part is expensive is not likely .

    plus .. nikon would have a logistic line that ship parts and goods to every part of the world every month if not week ..
    i did not even set a time on how fast i want it to repair .

    being such a large company .. to give such a high ransom price of repair is just pure hostage act .

    - i want to fix the camera but not at the 90 % cost price .
    what can i do .
    without any direction of help . this is really sad to know
    Ok lah. You can email, phone Nikon Service Center and ask for clarification. Put on newspaper may help you too... It is seem you have a lot time to do it...

    Regards,
    Arto.

  13. #33

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    i had not bid on Ebay .. and the last time i try - i was quote a really high shipping cost .

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Actually, what makes one thinks that it's not the same for other manufacturers?

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    i had not bid on Ebay .. and the last time i try - i was quote a really high shipping cost .
    So now you can learn something: "nothing such a free lunch ".

    Regards,
    Arto.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    I have the similar problem with my Canon Ixus 700 and I sent to Canon Singapore for replacement of the LCD (LCD broken) and the total cost was S$88 (including GST, labour and parts).
    Wah, like that maybe can send Nikon Camera to Canon service center to help .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  17. #37

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    who is asking for free lunch .
    -
    anyone know how i can contact nikon . directly .
    instead of being pass down the chian of sale and help desk
    .

    anyone have any helpful suggestion instead of asking me to go buy a new camera . cos doing so did not slove the problem .
    just telling me to turn a blind eyes to unfairness.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    imho the LCD ain't expensive... but the labour fee are... if you repair fee total up to $200, atlea st 50% of them when to the labour fee.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Just to make things clearer, when I asked for the cost of a general servicing, I was quoted $120. And just to clean the sensor would cost me $25 already. This cost still does not include any parts, just labour.

    Actually for most electronic equipments, it is usually not worthwhile trying to repair those cheaper or lower end equipments. Parts maybe cheaper for these lower end equipments, but labour cost will still remain the same.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: HELP - being held hostage by camera maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvlux View Post
    who is asking for free lunch .
    -
    anyone know how i can contact nikon . directly .
    instead of being pass down the chian of sale and help desk
    .

    anyone have any helpful suggestion instead of asking me to go buy a new camera . cos doing so did not slove the problem .
    just telling me to turn a blind eyes to unfairness.
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/

    I hope you understand what is called procedure.

    And I hope your call to Nikon will solve your problem.

    Regards,
    Arto.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •