Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: dslr megapixels

  1. #1

    Default dslr megapixels

    been into photography but never really understood the megapixels thing. im aware that some pro-dslrs like have like 4mps. is that sufficient? what's sufficient? does it make any difference between sufficient and more like some cams that have 18mps?

  2. #2

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    4MP is entry-level consumer cam. Pro DSLR cams tend to have 8+ MP.

    "Sufficient" is hard to say. What do you want to use it for? Printing or holiday snaps? If printing, what size?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    4MP is entry-level consumer cam. Pro DSLR cams tend to have 8+ MP.

    "Sufficient" is hard to say. What do you want to use it for? Printing or holiday snaps? If printing, what size?
    Not Really

    D2H and D2Hs are professional cameras with 4mp.

    Anyway, more megapixels means large native prints basically. 6mp prints natively at roughly A3, so if you know u will print bigger than A3 get a camera with more megapixels. However, a 4mp photo when interpolated well can produce large images. Basically, dont worry about megapixels, which camera suits you better is more important.

  4. #4

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    aight. thanks. been thinking of getting the d2h but really unsure of the megapixel thing. will read up

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    I have personally used D2H's 4mp pictures shot in studio environment, used PS 7.0 to do some post-processing and printed A0-size (>30"x20") on Epson photo-matte paper for an organisation. They are absolutely happy.

    And best of it, it stands up to close inspection, I can clearly see the inter-weavings of the sweater worn by the subject, when inspected like 15-20cm away from it.

    Just like windstallion said, worry not about the megapixel, worry more about what type of camera suits you more.

  6. #6

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    cool! i've always thought that the low megapixel would mean pixelated photos when blown up big

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by handwrittendreams View Post
    cool! i've always thought that the low megapixel would mean pixelated photos when blown up big
    It does

    But there are ways of reducing pixelation, mainly, interpolation.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by handwrittendreams View Post
    cool! i've always thought that the low megapixel would mean pixelated photos when blown up big
    There are still conditions and criterias to be satisfied before "blowing up" a low mp picture. So be aware interpolation isn't always the answer. What I am trying to say is that, for eg, 4MP isnt as bad as many has thought.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by handwrittendreams View Post
    cool! i've always thought that the low megapixel would mean pixelated photos when blown up big
    just for some better designed cameras...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post
    There are still conditions and criterias to be satisfied before "blowing up" a low mp picture. So be aware interpolation isn't always the answer. What I am trying to say is that, for eg, 4MP isnt as bad as many has thought.
    AJ, I remember you posted a link to a site where this guy blow up a picture of a tiger and when you see a close up of the print, you can still lots of detail on the tiger's eyes. Do you still have that link?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    AJ, I remember you posted a link to a site where this guy blow up a picture of a tiger and when you see a close up of the print, you can still lots of detail on the tiger's eyes. Do you still have that link?
    Hmm... don't think I have that link anymore.

  12. #12

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Sorry to tag along, im new too.


    What is the min requirement for the Megapixel in order to blow up a poster size Clearly.

    roughly(29 By 21 inch)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwan View Post
    Sorry to tag along, im new too.


    What is the min requirement for the Megapixel in order to blow up a poster size Clearly.

    roughly(29 By 21 inch)
    a 6MP with good details in the photos is able to do that easily at nearly no lost in quality as compared to printing A4. but then again who would want to go so close to the poster and see? unless you are hunting for tiny text on the poster... i think even a good detailed 4MP would be able to do the job without much trouble

  14. #14
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    a 6MP with good details in the photos is able to do that easily at nearly no lost in quality as compared to printing A4. but then again who would want to go so close to the poster and see? unless you are hunting for tiny text on the poster... i think even a good detailed 4MP would be able to do the job without much trouble
    Agree. A 6MP should be more than enough to do the job.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    If one usually do not print large (exceeding 8R), 3MP is enough.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwan View Post
    Sorry to tag along, im new too.


    What is the min requirement for the Megapixel in order to blow up a poster size Clearly.

    roughly(29 By 21 inch)

    A lot also depends on what is it used for.

    You must understand that photos are for album, and posters are mostly for like banners, where you don't really look at it from 3 cm away.

    Natively, a 3mp should fit a 4R comfortably.
    But prints are at 300dpi. But Posters at 72dpi.

    So a 3mp should fit a poster quality but size wise as if a "12mp".
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    There are megapixels and there are megapixels.
    The sensor size of DSLR is much larger than those PnS cameras.
    A 4MP APS-C size DSLR sensor has huge photosites compared to the same resolution one in a PnS. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

  18. #18

    Default Re: dslr megapixels

    one thing to remember when talking about enlarging images is that a sharp image from a 4Mpixel sensor can be enlarged more than one that is not sharp from a 16Mpixel camera...really...lens quality and steadyness of the shot counts unless the shot you want is supposed to be blurry...

    and like others have mentioned, you do not look at a poster at the same distance as when you look at a 4R...a bit of interpolation blurness is acceptable...

    personally, I've had a 4Mpixel shot from my ol' E10 used in a shopfront at about 1.8m x 1.6m...no complains about sharpness...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •