Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Operating up to -40 degrees C

Lightbulb Re: Operating up to -40 degrees C

Hello folks am back from the icy wastelands of Lake Winnipeg and have superficial frost bitten hands (did someone here say that I should have kept my big thick protective gloves on?)....anyway will have that written up on my website next week. Missed the -45 degrees by a week and had to cope with a balmy -23 instead!

Anyway what did I learn about cameras in the cold:
    1. Lithium batteries are the way to go. The NiMH batteries would not operate even in a warmer tent (-10). The NiMH batteries are now working in 9 degrees!

2. We each had a Nikon digital coolpix camera (nice easy point and click) - 3mp and 7mp. Both worked well even when it was -20 and windy. The battery appeared to be low on juice on day 3 but still kept going until the end of the walk about (5 days).

3. Brought a Minolta 70W RIVA - (because I have one). It refused to work even in -10. Had to warm it up under my armpit to get it going.

Thank you for all the great advice here and will see if I can get a manufacturer to let me trial a camera in 2008 in the Arctic circle when we train next

Default Re: Operating up to -40 degrees C

Good luck to you I admire your spirit.

I am sorry I can't help you much as I am a newbie myself.
    However, I will try to do a bit of research as I know some friends from Poland who are into photograhy - not sure if the temperature there reaches -40 degrees or not. Will keep you informed.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    Hello folks am back from the icy wastelands of Lake Winnipeg and have superficial frost bitten hands (did someone here say that I should have kept my big thick protective gloves on?)....anyway will have that written up on my website next week. Missed the -45 degrees by a week and had to cope with a balmy -23 instead!

Anyway what did I learn about cameras in the cold:
    1. Lithium batteries are the way to go. The NiMH batteries would not operate even in a warmer tent (-10). The NiMH batteries are now working in 9 degrees!

2. We each had a Nikon digital coolpix camera (nice easy point and click) - 3mp and 7mp. Both worked well even when it was -20 and windy. The battery appeared to be low on juice on day 3 but still kept going until the end of the walk about (5 days).

3. Brought a Minolta 70W RIVA - (because I have one). It refused to work even in -10. Had to warm it up under my armpit to get it going.

Thank you for all the great advice here and will see if I can get a manufacturer to let me trial a camera in 2008 in the Arctic circle when we train next
    Good luck then...

did you try wearing 2 pairs of gloves?? 1 thin one for camera work, and one thick one for maximum protection??

hi lady ice,

looks like the "simple" p&s digital camera is the way to go, even lonnie dupre uses one in his arctic expeditions! you might want to experiment to see which camera model gives u the best battery life (currently it's the fuji F series which can give 500+ shots per charge). one more advantage of the digicam is the video recording capability which may come in very handy if you need to give regular video despatches/updates of your arctic expedition to keep your sponsors happy. there's even a waterproof, shockproof model (olympus 720SW).

Last edited by zaren; 3rd March 2007 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    I know some friends from Poland who are into photograhy - not sure if the temperature there reaches -40 degrees or not. Will keep you informed.
    Hey asterixsg - that would be awesome to know what they have found reliable. Have now got myself a solar panel that will need to try out!

Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    did you try wearing 2 pairs of gloves?? 1 thin one for camera work, and one thick one for maximum protection??
    I did - but perhaps when it is really cold with wind gonna have to devise a way to use something else to "click" the camera and do other more sensitive work so I can keep my thick gloves on. Apparently since we in Singapore are used to a warmer clime we are more prone to frostbite and have to take more care (from studies by Dr Gordon Geisbrecht)

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    looks like the "simple" p&s digital camera is the way to go, even lonnie dupre uses one in his arctic expeditions!
    Hey zaren - do you know Lonnie Dupre? Like the sounds of the Fujitsu series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    Hey zaren - do you know Lonnie Dupre? Like the sounds of the Fujitsu series.
    yo lady ice,

nope...dunno lonnie dupre.....just read about him.

fujitsu series? u mean the fujifilm series?
    i am currently using the f30, used to own the f10. i think the f10 would be better
    for handling with gloves since it has larger buttons than the f30, and it's also easier to
    switch shooting modes.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    yo lady ice,

nope...dunno lonnie dupre.....just read about him.
    Where did you read about him?

fujitsu series? u mean the fujifilm series?
    i am currently using the f30, used to own the f10. i think the f10 would be better
    for handling with gloves since it has larger buttons than the f30, and it's also easier to
    switch shooting modes.
    Opps - sorry "greenie" here - yes meant fujifilm series. Thanks for the correction and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    make sure ur own body is operating at that temperature first!

Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    Totally - never let the hands go numb in the first place and react sooner than later. Have learnt that now thru first hand experience! See http://www.gfiexpeditions.com/En/ExSBlog.htm
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 5th March 2007 at 07:55 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123