Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Operating up to -40 degrees C

Default Re: Operating up to -40 degrees C

Cool - will try in the UK (working there at the mo)....o and the team is from Singapore, Canada and the UK.

By the way haagen_dazs - am working in yr city (NYC) at the mo......where are the recycle bins?

At -40 degrees our hands will be covered with layers of gloves and our body - lots of warm wear. Imagine Eskimo. How to hold a camera?

Hmm - so really what I want is a camera with a big button!

place your camera inside a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    And easy to reach controls... I dun think you'd be able to control much of the shutter speeds or aperture with mitts and thick gloves...

Juz get the UW casing for your cam loh.

OT
    LadyIce, upz for a fellow Singaporean!

On topic, think the sponsorship thingy is a good idea. Some camera makers might be interested. Canon and Nikon comes to mind with Michael Yamashita and other NG photogs using their products in the most torturous conditions. If they not interested to sponsor, cos they already have enough big names pitching their products, at least you can get reliable sound advise from them and use their tried and tested equipment.

Hey me thought you guys would be the techie pros....more so than the manufacturers who would be biased towards their products. Ok - in what manufacturing priority would you guys advise approaching?
    1. Canon (camera)
    2. Nikkon (camera)
    3. Sony (video recording)

P.S. CYRN - what's a UW casing? (me still an amature)

Under Water casing. It could be as expensive as the camera itself. Especially for digital slr camera.

Regards,
    Arto.

Hey me thought you guys would be the techie pros....more so than the manufacturers who would be biased towards their products. Ok - in what manufacturing priority would you guys advise approaching?
    1. Canon (camera)
    2. Nikkon (camera)
    3. Sony (video recording)

Underwater casing... but it's just a suggestion.

I've never used one before and I don't know would it help in your challenge or not. For the bulk it adds, it actually helps to insulate your cam and have some of the buttons bigger.

Again, if you go the corporate way by linking up with the decision makers of the casing manufacturers, mabbe you can get some sort of sponsorship or even a custom made casing that insulate your cam from the extreme cold as well as BIGGER buttons for your multi-gloved hands.

No priority in selection of camera brands as they are all consumer grade cams. Unless you can get some mil-spec ruggedise type.... but they will COST a lot more compared to the common brands.
    Last edited by CYRN; 18th January 2007 at 11:43 AM.

If you are using a tripod with ballhead, remember to keep the ballhead warm as cold temperature will freeze the tension of the ballhead :P

Hey folks - Thank you for all suggestions, encouragement and humour Totally appreciated and will be taking action. Will let you know what happens to the equipment in the cold at the end of next month.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 19th January 2007 at 05:10 AM.

After searching for a camera that operates below 30 degrees C (with the help of FWW).....seen a set of lithium batteries that say they can operate up to -40 degrees C and can work in digital cameras.....

Does anyone know if this will work? Or will the moving parts of the camera have problems anyway?

I have tried at a temp around -30 degrees on a PnS cam for 7 days... it is working fine although beyond the spec. Battery duration is terrible though.

I am confident that a DSLR can survive that temp for few days, but if ya going for > 2 months, it will be better to get a manual cam.

When the ambient temperature is -40 C, does not mean the camera is operating at that temperature. It depends how the camera is being kept before use. Unless of course you expose the camera to the environment for quite a while to let it freeze. If fact I think most of the camera will not work if its internal temperature hits -40C.

Probably wouldn't take long to freeze.....- ....is that the same for a manual? Guess only if you get it wet it won't work?

hi,

China heilongjiang harbin is not -40c. In the day time from -10 to -15 and night from -15 to -16 the most. Do not worry so much. I tried mine, it work correctly.

If you go Mongolia, it is now at -40 degree.

Mongolia is a little far for me.....sadly have to work to be able to play!

Surely, this is the realm for Nikon FM, FM2, and FM3A!!!

Maybe Pentax Spotmatic, MX, LX!

Or Yashica FX....

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Kirin View Post
    Surely, this is the realm for Nikon FM, FM2, and FM3A!!!

Maybe Pentax Spotmatic, MX, LX!

Or Yashica FX....

I dun think anyhow make suggestion helps.

This only solves the battery life problem but it also intorduces a lot of other issues at such temperture.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast