Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem w free Notebook from Starhub

Default Problem w free Notebook from Starhub

I drove thru' one of the heaviest rain in my life on Fri to collect this notebook at the ultra ulu warehouse at Penjuru Lane. It ain't like a nice shopping experience! Fortunately, the queue wasn't long at all, likely due to the rain.

Back home, started to play with it. Connect charger and power up. Connect mouse into usb port - recognised device, but could not work at all, when it could have been plug and play. Tried thumb-drive - same thing no-go.

Next thing - NO Recovery Disk - you got to make a set yourself - such a terrible cost cutting measure! I tried to burn the DVD, but didn't seem to work.

Then, the web connection - detected 3 signals from my neighbours. I plugged in mine from the "fat green pipe". OK, this one worked at least.

Another thing - don't seem to be able to adjust the screen brightness at all with the function keys. And by the way, there ain't any instruction manual at all, not even a soft copy in CD.

Well, overall, I think this ain't a good bargain after all. I would think twice next time for any freebies.....

And anyone else got the same problem? I guess the HP helpline would be flooded with calls.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 14th January 2007 at 10:21 AM.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Default Re: Problem w free Notebook from Starhub

brother, acer also does that, they do not give out backup dvd or restore discs anymore.

so if the OS craps up... just sent it down to the nearest service centre and screw them up big time..

at least what i did was scream at the phone.

go service centre and scream at them.

at least that was what i did at acer and apple. got replacements of new set.

hmm....i actually find that the intergrated recovery system is quite smart. i hate losing recovery disks and the hassle of needing them to do a full system reformat.

but there was one thing that really really irritated me of this laptop, THEY HAVE WAYYYYYYY TOO MANY SOFTWARE PREINSTALLED INTO IT!!!!!!! that are like 20-30 games by oberon installed in it. tried calling hp, they say no choice, the only way is to uninstall them one by one..................... one by one......................

and yeah, all other(or at least those i bought from) companies seldom have manuals. the most they have is a simple quick starter booklet. but then again, how come you need manual?

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    hmm....i actually find that the intergrated recovery system is quite smart. i hate losing recovery disks and the hassle of needing them to do a full system reformat.

but there was one thing that really really irritated me of this laptop, THEY HAVE WAYYYYYYY TOO MANY SOFTWARE PREINSTALLED INTO IT!!!!!!! that are like 20-30 games by oberon installed in it. tried calling hp, they say no choice, the only way is to uninstall them one by one..................... one by one......................

and yeah, all other(or at least those i bought from) companies seldom have manuals. the most they have is a simple quick starter booklet. but then again, how come you need manual?
    i made 2 copies of the Recovery Disk from my laptop... 1 copies same model of my friend's laptop...

kiasu lah..

yep no disk nor manual with my lenovo either. got to burnt my own disks
    didn't know that it will take up to 7 CD disks! i shld have burnt it onto my DVD disk.

its free...still complain

remember last time got lots of talk about free wedding photography

Quote Originally Posted by jacquesvile View Post
    its free...still complain
    free????????? if u think its free, that means u have been misled by all the advertisements arleady.

u pay $60 / mth for it, tats the installment for ur notebook =_="

for a computer with not even a bootup disk and with so many screw ups, u think its cheap?

normally it's up to individuals to work out themselves,
    eg: (price with free gifts) - (price without) X months of contract =???

For me i no use the freebies so i took up the lesser amt with min contract (12mths),i just recontract last mth.

wah lau! so horrible!!

but I paid for upgrade leh, not totally free...., TaMaDe! pay money still have to wait long long, the people from starhub calling me a few times to check have the HP peolpe contacted me for my orders or not.

will be collecting it this coming week, think I will bring along crowbar and ask them test the set there.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    wah lau! so horrible!!

but I paid for upgrade leh, not totally free...., TaMaDe! pay money still have to wait long long, the people from starhub calling me a few times to check have the HP peolpe contacted me for my orders or not.

will be collecting it this coming week, think I will bring along crowbar and ask them test the set there.
    who going to test for you there???

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    who going to test for you there???
    you mean nobody there? am I collecting my notebook from a cemetery?

you mean nobody there? am I collecting my notebook from a cemetery?
    i think they meant that after u collect ur notebook, they will just kick u away and get out of the place... ur business is finished as soon as ur notebook is collected..

ok, guess have to talk to the right people if really have any problem.

Apart from notebook, the PC is also a big problem.
    A friend of mine had subscripted to starhub with the PC as free gifts.
    Her max-on-line was activated since 22nd Dec 06 and until now she has not receive any calls from HP.

Complaint had been filed to Starhub and what they claimed that they can't do anything but to try to contact HP for answer (customer should contact HP directly) and they are doing this out of goodwill!

If this is how Starhub and HP conduct business, their service really suck big time, real big time!

To be frank, I did encountered sucky service from Starhub too. If not that Starhub is the sole provider for cable services, I would have switched to other service provider.
    Last edited by scanner; 14th January 2007 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    Apart from notebook, the PC is also a big problem.
    A friend of mine had subscripted to starhub with the PC as free gifts.
    Her max-on-line was activated since 22nd Dec 06 and until now she has not receive any calls from HP.

Complaint had been filed to Starhub and what they claimed that they can't do anything but to try to contact HP for answer (customer should contact HP directly) and they are doing this out of goodwill!

If this is how Starhub and HP conduct business, their service really suck big time, real big time!

To be frank, I did encountered sucky service from Starhub too. If not that Starhub is the sole provider for cable services, I would have switched to other service provider.
    who told u starhub is sole provider of cable internet? pacnet provide cable internet oso...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Deregistered

who is the right people there...u are just collecting from a forwarder...u dun expect them to test for you right...

its also a forwarder who ship the laptop to my house...and not HP...
    Last edited by westwest1; 14th January 2007 at 04:40 PM.

I sold the free laptop to my friend for $600 , coz i got a core2 duo from my company dinner lucky draw so got 2 happy guy in the end = me and my friend

Deregistered

If this is how Starhub and HP conduct business, their service really suck big time, real big time! .
    its been like that all the way...why make more problem for themselves...its the manufacturer problem also after the sales is completed...its also an agreement between the two company...

got singnet also...but which service provider does not have sucky service???

NAME ME ONE...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    I sold the free laptop to my friend for $600 , coz i got a core2 duo from my company dinner lucky draw so got 2 happy guy in the end = me and my friend
    glad to hear one happy customer...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast