Hi there all,
I'm interested in getting the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 and would like opinions from users/pros and those with field experience. I'll be using it for street photography (daylight/outdoor conditions) and will move on to fiddling studio portraiture in the near future.
- Generally, how does it perform in terms of street portraiture quality?
- Are there physical handling discomforts such as weight, overbearing camera shake concerns etc?
I do handheld shots most of the time and do not wish to make a purchase that limits my shooting options.
- Will getting a battery grip improve stability?
This is the first time I'll be venturing towards a focal length beyond 100mm.
- Will it's f4.5 limits become an issue, say, if I'm shooting at a sheltered walkway, overcast day, young punk zooming by on a skateboard?
I'm currently using a 24-105mm and it's my only lens. Intend to stop at one final fish eye if I do buy the 100-400mm.
Would like to get this because it has IS.
Because I have the L disease.
Because at times, it's frustrating when I have to approach subjects too closely for their comfort, people feel violated, babies start yelling and the dogs start coming.
Open to suggestions if there are better alternatives out there too.
- Also, which shop would you recommend?
I refrain from Sim Lim. I usually get slaughtered because vendors think because you are female, you know nothing about cameras (that is true, in my case) but still, I do not want to get slaughtered.
Bought my stuff from Song Brothers in Funan but want to explore Penisula as well. Not thinking of Cathay because their prices are comparably higher.