Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which DSLR uses AA batteries ?

Default Re: Which DSLR uses AA batteries ?

Konica Minolta 7D with vertical Grip

Excluding Pentax K10D, all other Pentax DSLRs, eg. *ist series, K100D, takes 4 AA batteries in body itself, no grip needed.
    Pentax K-5 K10D ME FA35 50f1.4 DA12-24 DA17-70, Tamron 70-200, Polar 85f1.4, Sigma 17-70
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Nikon D70 too.

Li-ion batteries usually comes with customised circuitry that help the camera to determine more accurately the amount of charge left in the batteries.

BC
    i don't think the D70 can use AA batts.. can you please verify your source?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    i don't think the D70 can use AA batts.. can you please verify your source?
    We've cleared this up already... please read the previous page's replies...

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Problem is.... AA batteries run down much faster than Li-on. And carrying them is a real PITA.

Ask those who have to carry 8 or 16 AA, esp for wedding shoots...
    yup, i've carried around 20AAs before... ...thought of getting a bandoliar like in those western movies...and the thing with using 4AA bats at a time is that if one is faulty, you can't really tell and have to change to the next set of 4...a pain to reload the bats on to the "magazine" as well...also can't really tell how much juice you have left in the batteries...its like full power, slightly less power and then suddenly no more power, a prob inherent in NiMH batteries...so diff now with my D200, with quick one handed bat change, much more juice per bat, accurate bat life meter, heck it even tells me when the battery has been recharged too many times and is time to junk the battery...

but thing is, once on an overseas shoot, when for some reason (faulty bats or faulty charger...who knows) I ran low on juice, I was saved by a local provision shop's stock of evereadys...paid shoot leh...the shop people were probably wondering why I bought so many...
    Last edited by theRBK; 16th January 2007 at 12:19 PM.

I believe the Nikon's D200 and D80's camera grip allows usage of AA batteries (6pcs).
    They are meant to be an alternative power source. The Li-Ion are still preferred.

Account Suspended

We've cleared this up already... please read the previous page's replies...
    Thanks Pro for the heads up

Frankly I prefer both Li-on and AA. But I felt like bringing bullets ard for shoot.... Not really a AA lover

I would spend more on Li-on as to lighten my weight and last longer.
    S3Pro user here.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Guess the reasons are obvious for me :
    1) I am currently using many rechargable AA for my Fujitsu 602. So can re-used.
    2) AA are cheaper & maybe of higher mAh than Li-Ion and is readily available
    3) Don't want to get struck with custom Li-Ion batt which cannot be used for other makes of cam

Well guess most make except for older model of Pentax has AA support. The newer model (all other make) has priorrity Li-Ion batt. guess the cam manufacturers are also quite smart to get ppl to buy only their batt.
    The grip is going to add on to the weight and size of the DSLR ... look awful too.
    Hope that a AA batt supported DSLR will be launched....

Quote Originally Posted by ongkmeng View Post
    3) Don't want to get struck with custom Li-Ion batt which cannot be used for other makes of cam

Well guess most make except for older model of Pentax has AA support. The newer model (all other make) has priorrity Li-Ion batt. guess the cam manufacturers are also quite smart to get ppl to buy only their batt.
    The grip is going to add on to the weight and size of the DSLR ... look awful too.
    K100d is pretty new... uses AA without grip.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    K100d is pretty new... uses AA without grip.
    But K100d uses SD ... prefer CF .... guess does not have the best of both world. But somehow, prefer Canon becos my previous SLR is a Canon EOS300 ... so can re-use the lens too ...

But K100d uses SD ... prefer CF .... guess does not have the best of both world. But somehow, prefer Canon becos my previous SLR is a Canon EOS300 ... so can re-use the lens too ...
    ain't SD even better? it eats up lesser juice from your AA.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    ain't SD even better? it eats up lesser juice from your AA.
    i already got CF ...

no, DSLR run on AA battery will have very limited power, imagine if I insist of using AA on my D200, I may have to carry 60 pcs of AA batteries for one wedding. and that is for my camera only.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

i already got CF ...
    well, then thats too bad.
    anyway I don think memory card is a problem anymore... you can simply get a normal 2GB card at about $30 or a higher spd one at $50+/-.
    its not like in the past where 1gb high spd card cost $200+

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    no, DSLR run on AA battery will have very limited power, imagine if I insist of using AA on my D200, I may have to carry 60 pcs of AA batteries for one wedding. and that is for my camera only.
    60 batt !!! 60/4 = 15 sets !!! Cannot be leh. AA Batt are your external flash issit ....

60 batt !!! 60/4 = 15 sets !!! Cannot be leh. AA Batt are your external flash issit ....
    actually, its 60/6=10sets......plus the fact that lithiums do not lose much charge when stored for weeks when NiMH AAs might become flat...unless you are talking about the new eneloop NiMH...
    Last edited by theRBK; 18th January 2007 at 02:05 PM.

no, just for camera, my d200+mb200 take 6xAA batteries, spec say 6 batteries can take 150 shots, so need to bring 10 sets including spare.
    if the NiMh AA battery is $4 a piece, will cost $240, and it will need how many charges plus how many hours to charge all these batteries?

So, it would be more practical to use Li-on batteries on any DSLR. even it is just causal shooters.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12