Thread: how to have those silky effect without over expose

Default how to have those silky effect without over expose

First picture, failed, no silky effect. Settings are:

F/7, 1/30sec, ISO 100

A bit silky effect but the statue overexposed.

F/8, 1/6sec, ISO 100

Any advise are greatly appreciated.

I think the exposure for both pics are different. Were you on full manual mode? If F7, 1/30s gives you a correct exposure, use the same exposure, which is around F8, 1/15s (about there, not very sure). If 1/15s is not enough to give the "silky" effect you want, add a ND filter or a polariser, this should reduce a few stops of light, enough for you to take at a slower shutter speed.

In your case, since F7, 1/30s gave an acceptable exposure, using F8, 1/6s will inevitably overexpose the picture.

u are wearing bermudas while taking the pic.

Originally posted by franciskc
    so is that a case of overexposure?

Hi, I'm not sure what camera you use. But for 'silky' effect, normally, shutter speed of at least 1/2 sec or longer is required. Usually, i try to get 2 secs exposure.

Firstly, why is your aperture still so big? (ie, f8). Use a much smaller aperture like f22 or even f32 if your lenses allows it.

When the above still fails to get u a sec exposure. You can use a ND filter. ND (Neutral density) basically limits the amount of light in a uniform manner. Get at least a ND8 (3-stop) filter. That should solve your problem.

Originally posted by franciskc

usually what I do is to stack a ND Filter and a Polariser ... and use the smallest apeture value ...

- for dc , use f8
    - for SLR , use f22
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

ND filter on the lens... set aperture to F22 or smaller. Shutter speed will set from 2-5secs... for average flow of water eg.fountain. for waterfall <faster flow> 1/30-2 secs. Thats wat i use...

sigh... should have gotten 43mm ND filters in Japan.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by mpenza
    sigh... should have gotten 43mm ND filters in Japan.
    I remember they're more expensive in Japan.

tokina/hoya cheap there?

I got HOYA 58mm ND8 for $12 at CP ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by megaweb
    Mmmmm... that the filter that I'm going to get on the next SEED! hehhe hope they still have it! anyway, a ND4 is just as good!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Mmmmm... that the filter that I'm going to get on the next SEED! hehhe hope they still have it! anyway, a ND4 is just as good!
    hmm...dun bother with a ND4 (2-stop). I even find my ND8 (3-stop) insufficient. Going to look for a 8-stop filter next time.

He he.... didn't notice that, the reflection really shape hor. Yes, was wearing bermuda then...

Originally posted by erwinx

so is that a case of overexposure?

Originally posted by Shadus
    Hi, I'm not sure what camera you use. But for 'silky' effect, normally, shutter speed of at least 1/2 sec or longer is required. Usually, i try to get 2 secs exposure.

Firstly, why is your aperture still so big? (ie, f8). Use a much smaller aperture like f22 or even f32 if your lenses allows it.

When the above still fails to get u a sec exposure. You can use a ND filter. ND (Neutral density) basically limits the amount of light in a uniform manner. Get at least a ND8 (3-stop) filter. That should solve your problem.
    I am using C2100uz. Setting > 1 sec exposure will have total exposed picture, ie, total white. I think the WB shows +3.0 when I set > 1 sec. Does the ND helps in this case, by limiting the amt of light going into the ccd

Originally posted by Shadus

I remember they're more expensive in Japan.
    43mm are hard to find here and quite expensive. larger filters are generally cheaper here.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by tangcy

I am using C2100uz. Setting > 1 sec exposure will have total exposed picture, ie, total white. I think the WB shows +3.0 when I set > 1 sec. Does the ND helps in this case, by limiting the amt of light going into the ccd
    Setting > 1 sec will require the camera to go beyond F8 for a correct exposure for that scene, and since F8 is the limit of your camera, aperture can't go smaller anymore, and it's a definitely overexposure. The +3.0 isn't WB, it's EV, and it means you are already overexposing by 3 stops.

And yes, like I mention in my first post, ND will help, as it will reduce the amount of light, allowing you to use a longer exposure at F8, compared to without a ND.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by megaweb
    How abt 49mm one? cost how much??