Thread: Pop sound heard from my studio speaker.

Default Pop sound heard from my studio speaker.

I had my studio monitor speaker which is active. Whenever I tried to turn on the light from other room, I got the sudden POP sound which is very loud. When I turn off, one POP sound was heard again.

It always happen this way whenever the light is on/off. I tried to move my electrical cable to another main socket, but it still persist and yet softer then before. Before I had 2 studio monitor speaker cables plug to the same multiple extension socket and then to the main socket. The POP sound was so loud that it was so horrify! Wondering if anybody into such situation?

If it continue, the monitor speaker lifespan will get shorten.. '

Really need a electrician expert to guide me....

Default Re: Pop sound heard from my studio speaker.

No one know about it??? Any help???

I had that experience also. The best thing you can do. find a good fused extension cord for your Monitor. at least you are safe.

the switch is 'arcing' replace the faulty switch or isolate it from the mains.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Solder some 2.2uF, 0.47uF, 0.22uF (~400VAC rated) capacitors in parallel across Live-Neutral and plug it into the outlet used by your active speaker and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer View Post
    Solder some 2.2uF, 0.47uF, 0.22uF (~400VAC rated) capacitors in parallel across Live-Neutral and plug it into the outlet used by your active speaker and see if it helps.
    Wa... I dun quite understand that man.. too cheem for me... I know nuts about electrical

Quote Originally Posted by erizai
    I had that experience also. The best thing you can do. find a good fused extension cord for your Monitor. at least you are safe.
    Which extension cord is advisable? Mine is the 2 pin type.

Thanks

[
    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    the switch is 'arcing' replace the faulty switch or isolate it from the mains.
    What do you of 'arcing'?? I blur man

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer View Post
    You are playing with fire.
    if any capacitors is short circuit across Live-Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by hhho View Post
    A capacitor is a short circuit only at certain frequencies, this is the basic principle of how it works. Such circuits very commonly used for powerline filtering.

I've personally tried and verified that it works for some households. Of course you bear your own risks when you do it.

I also experienced the same problem ... the pop sounds are definitely not for the weak hearted whenever anyone switch on/off any lights in my house.

It was Ok when I let it draw power directly from the PC. when I upgraded my PC and it no longer allows me to plug in to draw power for my speaker (no outlet available from the new one), I had to buy an AC adaptor for the speaker to draw power from the mains. then I started to get the 'popping' sounds. Can give heart attacks if you are very engrossed in work.

Maybe u can let your speaker draw power from your PC if it allows?

If not, change to another speaker (Like I did.). If not, not only u'll need to worry abt the lifespan of the current speaker, you'll also need to worry abt you own's lifespan!!! (Heartattacks from the sudden loud pops!)

Replace the good starter c/w built in capacitor for the fluorescent light, see it help

Quote Originally Posted by MsBunny View Post
    I also experienced the same problem ... the pop sounds are definitely not for the weak hearted whenever anyone switch on/off any lights in my house.

It was Ok when I let it draw power directly from the PC. when I upgraded my PC and it no longer allows me to plug in to draw power for my speaker (no outlet available from the new one), I had to buy an AC adaptor for the speaker to draw power from the mains. then I started to get the 'popping' sounds. Can give heart attacks if you are very engrossed in work.

Maybe u can let your speaker draw power from your PC if it allows?

If not, change to another speaker (Like I did.). If not, not only u'll need to worry abt the lifespan of the current speaker, you'll also need to worry abt you own's lifespan!!! (Heartattacks from the sudden loud pops!)
    The monitor speaker which Im having doesnt allow to draw power from my CPU. The monitor speaker which Im using are those meant for Music Production. So I had to draw power from the wall socket. And yes.. heart attack... 3 time I got it yesterday.. fearing the coil might be burnt

Quote Originally Posted by selim
    Replace the good starter c/w built in capacitor for the fluorescent light, see it help
    Will try.. But the room light Im having now is just the change of the light bulb which had 4 pin in it. Im wondering a good extension plug able to reduce the prob or not. If not, need to head down to any audio shop for advises.

Quote Originally Posted by hhho View Post

What you need are not your regular capacitors but X1 or Y1 (depending on which lines you're shunting) capacitors. These types of capacitors are specially impregnated and meant to breakdown without burning up.
    Furthermore, X type capacitors are meant for live-neutral shunting. Upon breaking down, they will short circuit and trip the FCB, thereby cutting off power to the socket(s). Y type capacitors are used for live/ neutral to earth.
    These open the circuit when they breakdown and so there is no risk of the live currents flowing into the chassis body in the event that the ground is lifted on the cable.

Using this method to do simple line conditioning is very common in audio. However, the values of the capacitors vary depending on the line voltage & frequency. Using the values for US AC110/ 60Hz will cause the FCB to trip in Singapore.

A better method is actually to hire a qualified electrician to wire a 2-gang (I recommend MK and bare minimum Clipsal) socket directly to a dedicated FCB on the house ELCB. Do not allow him to ring/ spur off any existing installations. The socket should be on it's own FCB. Doing so will cost approximately $150 - $170 in total.

Must have played too much Pop songs on it.

Okay, coni jokes aside, get a qualified electrician to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Wa... I dun quite understand that man.. too cheem for me... I know nuts about electrical

Which extension cord is advisable? Mine is the 2 pin type.

Thanks

[
    What do you of 'arcing'?? I blur man
    basically it means that you have 'sparks' jumping across the switch whenever you turn the switch on and off. just replace the switch and you're fine. else just replace the entire lamp!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

try to use an extension cord first from the main. See if the pop is still there. also check and listen carefully if u hear and electricity sounf from the speakers.

If there is a small red light on the extension cord or four way gang check and see if the light is waivering.

possible causes are. The circuits within the walls are connected thus a need to isolate the source for the speakers. Next is "dirty" power which is an inconsistent flow in the cables. There make sure ur speaker cables are not crossing any eletrical cable.

Experience this quite often when i do road shows for my camp. Try checking the above. if all is ok and problem persists. call the experts.

canturn - LOL.. I into music production also, thats why.

And for the rest - I understand what you guys mean. But I need to double check for the audio line and electrical line. Got to make sure its the switch that cost the problem.

Firefox - U mean why installing a device or new wiring or???

If not, I may have to get a Power Conditioning. Wondering who knows about Power Conditioning. I read up about Furman and APC brand and thinking which is the more trusted.

Thanks all for replying man