Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    to threadstarter: i am having the exact same problem as u. but its not nothing u cant do.

    u have a broom or some wooden pole in ur house rite? use it and knock ur ceiling whenever u hear the thumping sound. keep knocking and knocking and knocking as loud as u can.

    REpeat this procedure WHENEver they make noise. let them have a taste of their own medicine.

    And if they are still not repentent, go and do it in midnite arnd 2-3 am or 4-5am if u are still awake.

    Tip: wrap a towel or some rubber thing on the tip of ur pole so that u wont damage ur ceiling.

    If they still dun wan to change, go and call the police. yes i called the police last time and trust me they are scared out of their ass. but only thing is, when u call the police, the police must arrive just in time to hear the knocking and irritating sounds..
    The thing is, they seldom do it after 12 am (though I'm sure it had happened). I wonder if I do that at wayward hours will it actually bring more trouble for me than them? I don't know.

    Also, I think if I call the police my case isn't as strong if they are making noise at let say 6 pm? I don't know what is the law like. Is there like a cut off time for making noise? Personally I think after 10 pm I should keep my volume down, I don't know what is the commonly accepted or police reportable timing. Yes I will not be sleeping, but still it is irritating, after a day of hard work, instead of rest, it does make my heart pump faster. I guess the American style of doing things is to get a psychiatrist documentation that I am affected by the noise and sue them with it, don't know if it works in Singapore.

    P.S. I think it's amazing, it's 6.30 am and I am already hearing like intermittent heavy object dropping on the floor, I really really wonder what the heck they are doing.
    Last edited by Daniel Nielson; 15th January 2007 at 06:29 AM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    This happens all the time.... blame it on our not so sound proof HDBs.... and the reason given each time you make a complain is the standard "if you are not happy then go stay landed property"

    My neighbour did that to me too.... Till today I find it really takes the cake.

    Neighbour complained that after midnight, her floor is warm because I switch on my lights. Asked me why don't sleep at night like everyone else, hinted to me that I should switch off lights at night so that her floor is not warm......... I was like duh...........??? Did not know to laugh or to get upset.
    Did you tell them if they are not happy stay in landed property too?

  3. #23

    Default Re: Noisy neighbor, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

    But if got neighbour like the Bukit Panjang brothel in the New paper today, then convenient, no need to go to Geylang.
    I wonder, is it legal to call prostitute to visit them?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Landed property also got its own problems. Kids are hard to control. they do make lot of noise and runs about. Very hard to control.

    Living in landed , the noise problem is still there, like neughbours partying all night, mahjong session. loud music, piano etc.

    As long as its not too much overboard, den its ok lah. My neighbour above hand out wet laundry and sometimes stains my laundry. M ynew neighbour, leave their gate open all the time causing obstruction to my path. My neighbourd below sings whenever she took her bath and her singing is horrible... what can I do? live with it lor. complain too much also not good. And there is another neighbour, dunno which one that burn smelly joss-stick.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Landed property also got its own problems. Kids are hard to control. they do make lot of noise and runs about. Very hard to control.

    Oh yeah.....remember the Everit Road incident?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    My place also has a noisy neighbour. They stays 3 storeys directly above me and their son, a middle age man who has intellectual disabilities (mental illness) shouts while bathing in the morning and evening daily. The noisy is very distracting and hurting, sound like crying and torturing while bathing. It can last for 5min to 15min ...

    What can I do ? sigh .........

  7. #27

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    I really sympathize with your situation......

    When I first came to Singapore many years ago, I stayed in 3-room HDB flat that was next to a corner unit where all the smoke from joss sticks burnt by my neighbour would blow into my unit a few times a day. I also heard marbles dropping in the middle of the night. This smoke really drove me nuts but I could do nothing about it as the neighbour was the unfriendly type.

    Many years later when I bought a condo unit, I thought I would run away from all these noises/smoke....oh no...they followed me. Every morning at 6:30am I would hear my neighbour moving furniture and sweeping (broom hitting the wooden panels along the walls). I went up to tell them (Korean family) politely and they denied immediately and became defensive. The noises persisted. When they moved out another family took over and same problem happened...every morning I would hear furniture moving at 6:30am (I usually woke up at 7:30am. I wrote to them and knocked on their door politely and they denied as expected saying that it was from another. [I really didn't understand why they would want to deny as the noise came directly from their unit to mine...]. In the end I had to resort to knocking my ceiling with a wooden pole (coverd with a thick sock) with mixed results...

    When I moved to my in-law place in a private apartment the neighbour above us were "night workers" and they made a lot of noises in wee hours of the morning - moving furniture, heavy footsteps on highheels. Told them repeatedly and knocking ceiling with wooden poles which resulted in some improvement. When they moved out and some Chinese students moved in the same cycle repeated. I have since moved up to the top floor of a private apartment and I could not be happier...no more noisy neigbours above me to disturb my sleep. However, my in-laws are still suffering from their noisy neighbours upstairs...this time they are some furniture shop workers.

    My conclusion is that it is almost impossible to run away from noisy neighbours in Singapore...

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    errr..... regarding those marble dropping or moving furniture sound..... it may not really be your neighbour faults

    They say the sound comes from water trickling through PVC pipes, which gets distorted through concrete before emerging as the sound of falling marbles.
    You can read the whole story on STRAITS TIMES' articles at this link...
    The Marbles Dropping Mystery

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    My neighbour upstair keep drilling here n there every now and then even after so long liao. Got to endure lor, one day, when I drill or whatever, they complain, I show them a mirror.
    Like the old saying says " If you cannot BEAT them, JOIN them..."

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Best solution, let him have a taste of his medicine.
    Buy the unit above your noisy neighbour and do what he has done to you lor.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  11. #31

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongfm View Post
    I really sympathize with your situation......

    When I first came to Singapore many years ago, I stayed in 3-room HDB flat that was next to a corner unit where all the smoke from joss sticks burnt by my neighbour would blow into my unit a few times a day. I also heard marbles dropping in the middle of the night. This smoke really drove me nuts but I could do nothing about it as the neighbour was the unfriendly type.

    Many years later when I bought a condo unit, I thought I would run away from all these noises/smoke....oh no...they followed me. Every morning at 6:30am I would hear my neighbour moving furniture and sweeping (broom hitting the wooden panels along the walls). I went up to tell them (Korean family) politely and they denied immediately and became defensive. The noises persisted. When they moved out another family took over and same problem happened...every morning I would hear furniture moving at 6:30am (I usually woke up at 7:30am. I wrote to them and knocked on their door politely and they denied as expected saying that it was from another. [I really didn't understand why they would want to deny as the noise came directly from their unit to mine...]. In the end I had to resort to knocking my ceiling with a wooden pole (coverd with a thick sock) with mixed results...

    When I moved to my in-law place in a private apartment the neighbour above us were "night workers" and they made a lot of noises in wee hours of the morning - moving furniture, heavy footsteps on highheels. Told them repeatedly and knocking ceiling with wooden poles which resulted in some improvement. When they moved out and some Chinese students moved in the same cycle repeated. I have since moved up to the top floor of a private apartment and I could not be happier...no more noisy neigbours above me to disturb my sleep. However, my in-laws are still suffering from their noisy neighbours upstairs...this time they are some furniture shop workers.

    My conclusion is that it is almost impossible to run away from noisy neighbours in Singapore...
    Actually the marbles thing is most likely not your neighbour, it is due to a structural issue with apartment housing that causes the sound. It was also the reason for a spate of ghost stories when residents who found out that the unit above them is vacant and yet there is the sound of marbles dropping.

    For the furniture moving, it could also not be your immediate neighbour above you. Sometimes the sound travels through the walls and you might be hearing the neighbours away from your unit. which is not surprising why you neighbours all deny moving furniture.

    I once had a neighbour renovate his flat. The jack hammer sound reverberated in my house and sounded it came from the unit above me. In actual fact it was from a unit 2 units away diagonal of my flat on a higher floor. How the sound went the way it went? I also dont know.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nielson View Post

    Also, I think if I call the police my case isn't as strong if they are making noise at let say 6 pm? I don't know what is the law like. Is there like a cut off time for making noise? Personally I think after 10 pm I should keep my volume down, I don't know what is the commonly accepted or police reportable timing.
    I guess 6PM is not a strong case to make report to police. But 10PM definitely is. If they still make noise 10PM onwards, you can try calling the police. You will still end up in a not so good relationship with your neighbour anyway.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    errr..... regarding those marble dropping or moving furniture sound..... it may not really be your neighbour faults


    You can read the whole story on STRAITS TIMES' articles at this link...
    The Marbles Dropping Mystery
    Well, it actually puzzled me for a long time about the marble sound thingie, but never really talked to anyone. Glad to know there are many others who noticed this. Though one thing I'm sure that it is not children playing marble as I hear this sound in many flats that I stayed. It can't be that coincidental.

    What puzzled me is HDB doesn't know of such things. HDB has many staff and none of them stayed in HDB flats?

    Another point from the link is it seems that the unacceptable noise making hours are from 10.30pm-7.00am.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Best solution, let him have a taste of his medicine.
    Buy the unit above your noisy neighbour and do what he has done to you lor.
    Yep it is definitely the best solution. I'd book the two stories above that unit too just in case he moved up above me.

    Too bad HDB flats here cost $200k-300k instead of $200-300. The bank interest alone could buy me the whole complete range of Canon or Nikon lens.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Btw, thanks guys for the support. It really helped.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southen Sea
    Posts
    1,467

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    I guessed you're not alone... me too. have this kind of neighbour

  17. #37

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by erizai View Post
    I guessed you're not alone... me too. have this kind of neighbour
    Any tips in dealing with them?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nielson View Post
    Yep it is definitely the best solution. I'd book the two stories above that unit too just in case he moved up above me.

    Too bad HDB flats here cost $200k-300k instead of $200-300. The bank interest alone could buy me the whole complete range of Canon or Nikon lens.
    Actually you do not need to buy the unit above your neighbour unit if you could rent it for sometime until you resolve the problem i.e. when your inconsiderate neighbour stop making noises after he gets a taste of his own medicine. (At one time my in-laws actually thought of doing that...). If this is not possible then a long shot is maybe to make friends with the unit above his, get them on your side, and jointly "teach" the noisy unit a lesson.

    To be fair, most people actually are not awared how easy and loudly noise can be transmitted from the upper floor to unit below them especially in dead of the night when ambience noise level is low. In your case, I guess they must be making a lot of noise during daytime for you to hear it. Perhaps you can get a wooden pole, as suggested by someone earlier in this thread, to knock on your ceiling each time he makes noise so that he is awared what noise level bothers you. (Of course, the risk is that he may turn nasty and purposely makes more noise when you knock.)

    I wish you best of luck in resolving this problem soon...
    Last edited by Leongfm; 15th January 2007 at 11:25 PM.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southen Sea
    Posts
    1,467

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    Move away from the city.. live in forest

    just kidding..

    Make sound proof wall, and door..

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nielson View Post
    Any tips in dealing with them?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Noisy neightbour, what to do?

    End of the day, it is about tolerance. We have to remember we are living in apartments and not landed property. Hence there is bound to be disturbance in some manner, if we are going to grunge about every single one of them... there will be no time to do them all.

    Like for me if I wanted to grouch... (The below is to meant to be taken toungue in cheek

    1) Complain about my indian neighbour whose sandlewood incense smell flows into my home once every few hours.
    2) Complain about my neigbours diagonal of me who plays mahjong
    3) Complain about the grandmother who hammers her grandchildren who then screams and goes into fits every other day.
    4) Complain about the chinese students renting the unit next door, about how they make so much noise when they exit and enter the flat.

    But I wont right? Logically no one would right? Because this is part and parcel of living in HDB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •