Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: goretex outdoor boots

Default Re: goretex outdoor boots

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    it was definitely from 250 to 300 SGD.definite.
    Yupz...

got my timberlands around that pricing too... can never find a good pair during sales. Even during sales, the pairs that catches my eyes are the ones NOT on sale...

Quote Originally Posted by drewdam View Post
    dun no about comfort...cos is waterproof...can the air circulate meh?
    Water resistant, not water proof.

And it's not that resistant to wear and tear once it's been soaked a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdam View Post
    since this thread is on goretex...how about hi-tec shoes with eVent? waterproof too...any1 has hi-tec shoes to comment?
    Hi-tec is definitely more worth your $$ than timberland. I've used hi-tec before. Quite comfy and it can protect you well.

i think its important to factor in other things like the weight as well as the sole used. For hiking, i tend to prefer Vibram soled shoes. I own 5 pairs of goretex shoes and must say that the most comfortable still goes to the Nike ones. However, they're not very lasting as the eyelets are fabric and are fraying already and they are low cut, which defeats the purpose of having goretex since water will just enter from the top. For the best performance/comfort, i tend to opt for Montrail. This can be gotten at Campers Corner but be warned that they are rather expensive. One of the lightest in the market though. I have 2 pairs of Montrails, and they have been through the jungles of Borneo with me and kept my feet dry and comfortable. Its great even when immersed in water up to ankle level. I keep one pair in singapore and one with me in the UK. They are fabric and not leather, so its lighter.
    I also have a pair of SAF XCR which i use for chionging mangrove coastlines in SG. A lot of the nature photogs here use them too as they are cheap and can be written off if necessary. They are rather stiff so if u intend to walk anything more than 10km in them, better make sure u have someone ready to rub your feet later.

Lastly, I also use a pair of Kathmandu leather boots. These have a Sympatex membrane which is similar in technology to goretex, just a different name. They are my favorite for travel as the leather outers make them really great for all terrain. And its steel capped as well, good for when u need to kick things. Vibram soles of course, and lots of comfort. Not as light as the montrails.

Rankings:
    Montrail-->Kathmandu-->Nike-->SAF

am actuali lok for a pair of light trail shoes coa am going to virginia this june and will have quite of outdoor thing like fishing, natual trail natual park etc...why am interested in hi-tec..ya u can say cheapo me n also not too heavy (14-15oz) with vibram rubber...cost is less than 100SGD as compared to nike, timberland (i owned a ankle leather shose..too slippy), teva or keen etc....alternately, the sport brand like NB do offer all terrain shoes at lighter wt but i am not sure how can they match some of the specilise brand..

i'm using haix ranger gsg9 boots for my workwear and i'll swear by them ... maybe you would like to consider? here's the link http://www.haix.de/

Quote Originally Posted by M MBR View Post
    i'm using haix ranger gsg9 boots for my workwear and i'll swear by them ... maybe you would like to consider? here's the link http://www.haix.de/
    price? where to buy?

i'm using blackhawk warrior wear light assualt boots which is light enuff for running and tough enuff for wutever comes my way. heres the link;
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...duct_id=4901&d=

they come in black too. u can get it over at sheares mktg, they have danner, bates, oakley, altama etc. just drop by and take ur pick.

SAF boots good enough and FOC .. been wearing it since day 1 ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

wow...all the high cut...damn serious...prefer low cut design n can use it as street wear mah....

high cut good cos it will minimise the chances of ur ankle from gettin sprained while running after the bus etc...

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    price? where to buy?
    hmm... i remembered seeing a few models of haix goretex boots at the army shop beach road... probably you can ask them to bring in the model tt you want and ask them e pricings in SG dollars... im sure they gladly help you out...

I like my Hi-Tec boots. Comfortable, looks nice, good value for money, and lots of high-tech sounding descriptions of the various shoe features which turn me on. Yeah, I know, it's all marketing...

i think hitec's leather part is just synthetic leather.

what i got is a GI desert storm boots. so light and tough and makes me taller because of the heel. comes in desert tone only so i bought another pair and dye it in black. the desert tone looks more casual boots.
    Last edited by manila gorila; 22nd January 2007 at 10:38 PM.

during my last ICT in Aug 2006, a colleague wore his 1st pair of SAF goretex, and by the time the 3 weeks ict end, its no longer waterproof.think the material came off. We find the leather type before the 1st Goretex boots to be more lasting and solid and less slippery .

I bought a pair of solomon goretex boots about 8 years ago, they are still with me and i am using them whenever i need to go overseas or for hiking and outdoor acivities that need sturdy boots, so far, i have not had any problems with them except that i had to change the inner sole twice because they wore out, they are completely waterproof, and very comfortable, this is the only pair of boots i have bought for the last 8 years, and its possible to walk for hours in them... i dont know where to get them in singapore though...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234