Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: where do you plan to go 4 ur photography trip this year?

Default Re: where do you plan to go 4 ur photography trip this year?

Jeanie, if you're interested in the Himalayas and like a nice hotel in a place that's quite untouched, there's only one place to go: Bhutan
    Stay at the Uma Paro (owned by Christina Ong woh, so it's very exclusive and beautiful, up on hilltop etc etc). Of course I haven't been there lah: only got 29 rooms so it's v pricey, but maybe good for a treat. (It's also a Como resort, so got yoga, spa and all the works).

Bhutan itself is still quite untouched. It's a very small kingdom in the mountains that restricts access to tourists. Got monasteries, ancient temples and ruins, museums ...

I also have to second the suggestion to go to the Australian outback. It is so bare and harsh but so beautiful. I wish I was into photography when I was there many years ago. It's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    The Chinese city of Zhongdien in Yunnan province close to the Tibetan border has officially changed its name to Shangri-la as it is said that the place has resemblance to the Shangri-la described in the novel. It is now served by a domestic airport named Shangri-la Airport. A really beautiful place. I was there in December 2005 and it was certainly cold during the night. The temperature dropped to -13 deg.
    That's what I was talking about thanks !!! ;-)

Many of you have mentioned about exotic places with Tibet singled out frequently. You need to be in reasonably good health to travel to places at high altitude. You feel varying degree of discomfort, usually continuous headache and giddiness, and you need to buy oxygen canisters to help you if you cannot cope with this symptom. Shangril-la at about 3400m above sea level starts to give you minor discomfort and Tibet is certainly much worse. I personally know many people who had been to Tibet and was sick during the entire duration of the trip, some of whom had to be hospitalized in fact. Exotic places no doubt but can your body take it?
    You are damn right... Climbing one flight of stairs is feeling like you run a marathon ... even if usually organised or semi-organised tour try to take care of acclimating you first by staying at Lhassa level ard 3800, it's very hard to cope with this very unique feeling at the begining...
    I did not get that sick but you get tired very very quickly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fiip View Post
    That's what I was talking about thanks !!! ;-)

You are damn right... Climbing one flight of stairs is feeling like you run a marathon ... even if usually organised or semi-organised tour try to take care of acclimating you first by staying at Lhassa level ard 3800, it's very hard to cope with this very unique feeling at the begining...
    I did not get that sick but you get tired very very quickly ...
    I don't think we get tired easily, just that our body needed more oxygen for the same effort at sea level and since the air is thin at high altitude, we tend to breathe harder for more oxygen.

../azul123

I think it's quite contradictory to want to go somewhere exotic, off-the-beaten-track, and yet still seek out 4/5 star hotel accommodations. Only place I can think off-hand is Bhutan...with really high-end hotels establishing themselves there recently. They also restrict the number of foreign travellers entering the country, so it does certainly still maintain its "exotic" status. And I'm sure it has a lot to offer you if you are primarily going there for photography.

Here are my comments on some of the places that have been mentioned in this thread:

Egypt: Hardly considered an exotic destination. It's probably the world's first original tourist destination, with millions going there every year since Greek times. However, as a photography destination, opportunities abound! Be willing to explore beyond the usual tourist sights (visit the markets, backlanes, etc), and be prepared to be hassled by touts and cheats almost everywhere. If you decide to visit the Sinai Peninsula, keep in mind that Jordan is just a ferry ride away, with the fascinating ancient city of Petra within reach. It's currently one of the contenders for the New Seven Wonders of The World. Unforgettable.

Norway/Sweden: Aurora Bourealis (Northern Lights) is kinda hit and miss. I spent 4 days in Norway hoping to catch a glimpse (kinda a lifelong dream to see it), but every single night the sky was obscured by clouds. And I think the Northern Lights is more of a life experience rather than a photographic objective. I've hardly come across any good photos of the Northern Lights. The Bergen Railway trip is something not to be missed though, if you are ever in the Scandinavian region. Truly one of the world's best railway trips. You feel like you are on your way to visit Santa Claus as the train hurtles through some of the most incredible snow landscapes you will ever see. Makes you feel like a kid again. Wide angle lens galore.

Tibet: A photographic destination rivaled only by India, IMHO. And its altitude bestows excellent light. Strong colours. Luxury hotels don't exist outside of Lhasa though. Long, bumpy and dusty jeep rides must be endured to reach fantastic destinations such as Namtso and Everest Base Camp. Try your best to coincide with a local festival. A Thangka unveiling is amazing. Suddenly all the locals appear and you experience Tibet at its most glorious. You get a sense of how it all used to be before Chinese dominance. People keep saying you should visit Tibet before it is overrun with tourists and Chinese. I think it's already too late...for Lhasa. To experience Tibet in its original rawness...get as far away from Lhasa as you can.

Iceland: It's not too expensive if you make arrangements to go there on your own. It's simple enough to rent a car from the airport and take a few days to drive around the Ring Road (it goes around the perimeter of Iceland). The air tickets there will most definitely form the bulk of your expenses. One way I can think of to do this cheaply is to get a cheap ticket to London (the upcoming AirAsia X comes to mind), and then transfer to an Icelandair flight. Organised tour groups are WAY TOO expensive and too regimented. Iceland is definitely a place where you will want to have the flexibility to stop whenever you want as you drive along the road. Bear in mind that it's really a place to experience Nature at one of her harshest. And the predominant colour is grey (at least when I was there). Grey skies, greyish/blue glaciers. Greyish rocks. Dark grey volcanoes. Pray you get bright summer days when you are there. Advantage of going there in summer is of course the long days. You get a lot more time to travel (imagine still being able to go glacier climbing at 9pm in broad daylight!)

A few other destinations I can suggest (based on your criteria of comfortable hotels and photography-based trip):

Turkey
    Rajasthan, India
    Mongolia
    (no luxury hotels in the countryside, but luxury tourist tents)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Sigh...so dissapointed with you...here are some links....
    http://travel.yninfo.com/jddy/subject/5/index.html
    http://www.lijiangtour.org/xglllvyou/Index.html

I tot sometimes ago Hosea did posted some very fantastics shots for these places
    why dissapointed?
    maybe if you dont place any hopes or expectations from me, then you wont be?

dun look down on me lei.i may not be a himalayan climber, but i'm very sporty too.just that i dont like my make up to melt.

guess what?got people pm me and say 'who say sgp gal not chio'?
    thanks thanks...

i love this thread very much.please keep it going.really very helpful for me when planning my tour this year.

oh, i need suggestions that's relatively safe too.

either i'm travelling alone, or there will only be 1 friend.
    so safety for me is a priority.

i've been to countries where i engaged security officers aka bodyguards.they aint cheap and honestly, it brought me too much attention.
    i dont wanna look like some 'princess out of kingdom', or 'gal with 2 duckies'.(if you know what i mean)
    the advantage is that they can do bargaining when you are shopping.and they can help you translate in their local tongue.but some english not very good so communicating is a problem itself.

redoxim,
    just finish reading your review and recommendations.

ya, maybe i'm asking too mcuh.for a 4/5 star and yet exotic.so maybe i should rephrase.
    i need relatively GOOD accomodation.

iceland so greyish ah?does that mean i dont need to bring my gretagmacbeth greycard?

You're from Yukon?
    When is the northern lights there most frequent?
    Certainly one of my dreams to see (& take) the Auroras. Well, coincidentally, some of the places I'd love to go is those northern Scandinavian countries, Alaska, Yukon etc...
    Some very nice ones to dream about...
    http://www.photosig.com/go/users/vie...olio?id=102515

Shangri-la Zhongdian is alittle overhyped I feel. Go alittle north more to Deqin with its Meili snow mountains I think its nicer. Before its been renamed, another "Shangrila" is its neighbour, Daocheng/Yading which is very pretty too!

Don't think Kashmir was claimed to be Shangri-la... Anyway, media over-reports, although security is very tight (which is good), there're quite a no. of tours going there...
    Have posted some photos recently too...
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=248586

Anyway, the world is SO big, there's certainly alot more places to go. (Although some of the places may not be there anymore )

Quote Originally Posted by szhoe View Post
    Welcome to Canada!!

Yukon is indeed Canada's True North, a beautiful place indeed.. Hmm, I am so happy that you have shown interest in this beautiful park.. Yukon has alot to offer..End of Spring & late Fall is good time but its busy periods these times. Summer will be a good choice, less crowds & just as beautiful..

As for me, if all goes well and I am granted the time off and my summer break this June, it will be Kootenay National Park..!

actually i would love to see QIN SHI HUANG's tomb b4 i die but i heard they are not going to dig it up anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts View Post
    You're from Yukon?
    When is the northern lights there most frequent?
    Certainly one of my dreams to see (& take) the Auroras. Well, coincidentally, some of the places I'd love to go is those northern Scandinavian countries, Alaska, Yukon etc...
    Some very nice ones to dream about...
    http://www.photosig.com/go/users/vie...olio?id=102515

Shangri-la Zhongdian is alittle overhyped I feel. Go alittle north more to Deqin with its Meili snow mountains I think its nicer. Before its been renamed, another "Shangrila" is its neighbour, Daocheng/Yading which is very pretty too!

Don't think Kashmir was claimed to be Shangri-la... Anyway, media over-reports, although security is very tight (which is good), there're quite a no. of tours going there...

Anyway, the world is SO big, there's certainly alot more places to go. (Although some of the places may not be there anymore )
    I am a Canadian rather than I AM FROM YUKON.. I have not been to see the Northern Lights (called Aurora Borealis) myself though.. It seems that BC is just neighbor to Yukon..Ha..ha..ha..

I reckon August till perhaps early March is good..Don't forget we get "pretty long daylight" in the Summers. Yukon is on my list but then I am doing research work..To be exact, Yukon is pretty long in my queue after Kootenay..

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    actually i would love to see QIN SHI HUANG's tomb b4 i die but i heard they are not going to dig it up anytime soon.
    No prawn fish also can...you can go Xi~an to see the Terracotta mah

My choice of exotic places:
    1. Mexico, too many ruins and colourful places and ppl, lived there for 1 year and still love tat place
    2. Scotland, prefer to go in summer/autumn time, drive all the way to up north, to Lock Ness area hopufully can look for the monster
    3. Hokkaido, Japan, been there 2 times in winter, but heard that summer is a lot more beautiful
    4. Yunan, China, went for a package tour but was rush here there, so need to go free-and-easy so can appreciate the sights and sounds better

Quote Originally Posted by nuts View Post

Here's a quote from the URL.

Often called "The Paradise on Earth", Kashmir is, or rather was, a real Shangri-La.
    URL - http://library.advanced.org/10131/kashmir.html

../azul123

A good place for a holiday, with decent accomodation, not too expansive, and don't forget good food, cheap alcohol, and most important of all, beautiful models to shoot, ok ok, sceneries ... Croatia.

I was there last September, and I am planning on going back this year, if not, then definately 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by szhoe View Post
    I am a Canadian rather than I AM FROM YUKON.. I have not been to see the Northern Lights (called Aurora Borealis) myself though.. It seems that BC is just neighbor to Yukon..Ha..ha..ha..

I reckon August till perhaps early March is good..Don't forget we get "pretty long daylight" in the Summers. Yukon is on my list but then I am doing research work..To be exact, Yukon is pretty long in my queue after Kootenay..
    can bunk in at your place if i happen to drop by banff and rockies?
    that'll save me enough for another lens

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    My choice of exotic places:
    1. Mexico, too many ruins and colourful places and ppl, lived there for 1 year and still love tat place
    2. Scotland, prefer to go in summer/autumn time, drive all the way to up north, to Lock Ness area hopufully can look for the monster
    3. Hokkaido, Japan, been there 2 times in winter, but heard that summer is a lot more beautiful
    4. Yunan, China, went for a package tour but was rush here there, so need to go free-and-easy so can appreciate the sights and sounds better
    astin, need your email.got studio questions to ask you.

places you name other than china, have been there.

can bunk in at your place if i happen to drop by banff and rockies?
    that'll save me enough for another lens
    Definitely.. I stay in BC Vancouver..

At this monemt, my assignment is in Asia.. and I stay with my sister in Singapore during this period..

However, I do go back to Vancouver now and then...

Cheers..

he got tomb meh? i thot he ate the pill that can live forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    he got tomb meh? i thot he ate the pill that can live forever?
    got ah!heard damn big.

i watch discovery channel last month and saw.
    it was rumoured he used mercury to simulate river in the 'world' he built below IIRC

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast