Thread: Portraits

Default Portraits

Hello,

Can anyone give me some pointers i should take note of when taking portraits? I only have a consumer level lens and a SB-600. How do I make use of 1 flash to achieve good lighting results? I will be shooting in the afternoon, any help?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Deregistered

Default Re: Portraits

do you have a omni bounch?

it have that will be easier to do fill in flash...try not to do in the afternoon...maybe late afternoon when the sun is not so harsh...

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    do you have a omni bounch?

it have that will be easier to do fill in flash...try not to do in the afternoon...maybe late afternoon when the sun is not so harsh...
    Yes i have an omnibounce. How do i go about properly lighting up the model, or cast light correctly using a flash?

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy View Post
    Yes i have an omnibounce. How do i go about properly lighting up the model, or cast light correctly using a flash?
    depends on the mood you want...
    top, bottom, side, direct... all have their good/bad.

Using of omnibounce, lightsphere, bounce card or any other flash diffusers depends on lighting conditions and how far u are away from your subject.

Previously i have tried shooting with my lightsphere directly with my model around 6 feet away from me and produced underexposed shots. So i direct flash and it solves the problem.

If u're shooting outdoors it's no point bouncing flash unless u're using a bounce card. So it's either direct flash with a diffuser or direct flash itself.

Dun let your subject face the sun or else he/she will be squainting. Do take note of the lighting from the sun as well.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

And also note sunlight from behind the subject which is commonly known as backlighting.

Hello,

Can anyone give me some pointers i should take note of when taking portraits? I only have a consumer level lens and a SB-600. How do I make use of 1 flash to achieve good lighting results? I will be shooting in the afternoon, any help?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
    If you're gonna shoot in a sunny day, forget your omni bounce. Omnibounce is not useful if you don't have a ceiling or wall around you. Omni bounce would cause you to lose light. Unless you're going to shoot at a distance of < 1.5 m, usually any greater, you add omni bounce and you will notice that your flash can do almost nothing..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    And also note sunlight from behind the subject which is commonly known as backlighting.
    So the sun should be casted on the models at an angle?

slow sync flash tilt 45deg or 90deg side bounce the flash using gold of soft white reflector..can set at any angle u like to get a better photo. also...no need the flash, just use the big reflector.

Not necessary. As long as lighting's from behind your subject which gives a silhouette effect.

Depending on what you want, if the sun is at the side of the subject, you will have shadow on the other side which can be overcome with an off camera flash. If you want a silhouette effect than have the sun behind your subject as mentioned by Snoweagle.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Then are there any advice on how to get my models to pose if they are not professionals one? I havent shot portraits much so I also dunno how to get models to pose.

Then are there any advice on how to get my models to pose if they are not professionals one? I havent shot portraits much so I also dunno how to get models to pose.
    I do quite a bit of portrait photography.

And I tell my models to please stop posing like models.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    I do quite a bit of portrait photography.

And I tell my models to please stop posing like models.
    the last time i did one my models were quite stiff and are not used to a camera pointing at them, how do I as a photographer overcome this?

the last time i did one my models were quite stiff and are not used to a camera pointing at them, how do I as a photographer overcome this?
    Talk to them more... get them to relax first before the shoot...

One very impt thing abt shooting models is that u've to communicate well with them and let them be comfortable with u.

yup and if u run out of posing ideas...u can always bring along a stack of magazines hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    yup and if u run out of posing ideas...u can always bring along a stack of magazines hahaha
    Or use other props too.