Thread: Not sure what to charge...$$

Default Not sure what to charge...$$

I'm just fresh out of school and there's an indie band that wants me to take a few shots of them..something basic really but professional, you know? I'm just not sure what to charge them, though! I don't want to charge them too much, but I also have a living to make and don't want to charge too little! HELP!

Default Re: Not sure what to charge...$$

Have you asked them how much they are willing to pay?

Most importantly what are they gonna use the shots for? If its for commercial/promo material you might need to charge more. Espcially so if they are using it for album art or poster/etc..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Correct ask what are pictures use for. Then you can assert how much to charge.

What ever you are going to charge them, remember to put every terms and conditions in black and white, and get them to sign and chop (if available)... do play safe.

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulphoto View Post
    I'm just fresh out of school and there's an indie band that wants me to take a few shots of them..something basic really but professional, you know? I'm just not sure what to charge them, though! I don't want to charge them too much, but I also have a living to make and don't want to charge too little! HELP!
    Being business like is important. Let the client knows how much you
    are going to charge for the assignment and how long you will take
    to complete it.

Taking into consideration of your time, transportation (your trips
    you have to make to deliver your work), batteries for your camera,
    maintainence of your equipment and so on.

On such a basis, you could ask for $80 to $200 an hour depending
    on complexity of the assignment. By complexity I mean, the number
    of people, the location of the shoot, the lights you may have to bring
    including whether you are asked to shoot them while they are
    playing their musical instruments.

The client would like a job done professional, so you could easily
    asked them for the purpose of the shot and its intented usage.
    Next never be afraid to ask for a deposit so that the client can show
    you their true sincere way of wanting you to take the shot for them.
    You can also get a contract sign so that the balance must be paid
    when you have completed the assignment and not when you deliver
    the CD.

Cheers and it is more fun learning about the business of photography.

Any updates on the outcome?

i believe this thread would be beneficial to me too.

any updates ?

S$150 per hour. CD + Contact print only.Max size they can print from your CD images is A3 size.
    Friends, 20% discount, S$120 per hour , contact print + CD, max.size is A4.

Give Job Order Form, confirmed & signed by clients, Collect 50% deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesong View Post
    S$150 per hour. CD + Contact print only.Max size they can print from your CD images is A3 size.
    Friends, 20% discount, S$120 per hour , contact print + CD, max.size is A4.

Give Job Order Form, confirmed & signed by clients, Collect 50% deposit.
    wow, structured system !

how does a contact sheet and a job order form look like ? is it look like a agreement with some terms and conditions at the back ?

collect 50% deposit upon signing of JOF ?

Quote Originally Posted by xziredmp View Post
    wow, structured system !

how does a contact sheet and a job order form look like ? is it look like a agreement with some terms and conditions at the back ?

contact sheet = usually an print with thumbnails/filenames of all the images contained within the cd

JOF = your regular invoice, itemised for services rendered.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

if they readliy pay you, that means that you are charging too low

hopefulphoto, my advice to you, since you are fresh out of school
    go get a job first to gain experience and build your network of contacts

Just make sure you guys dun charge like the joker in the below thread who spoil the spore mkt. Peeps like this boy cause lots of Pros with family to support to go bust man. Just go at mkt-rate. You can seek advices from the Pros - they will work out the calculation (factors - time spent, amt of work, cost, transport, income tax, CPF etc must be considered in the long run) for you then you will know why how to charge. I am relatively new also - was taught by these old timers how to charge.

http://www.youth.sg/forum/archive/index.php/t-354.html
    Last edited by GhostSG; 4th March 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xziredmp View Post
    wow, structured system !

Check out those business admin books in the library. There's lots of samples on invoice, work order, contracts and setting terms & conditions etc. These are very important documents - otherwise the authorities e.g. IRA or CAD can come after you if the client make a formal complaint or civil suit against the photographer/ videographer etc Just look at old NKF - how they gana left right center.

Also check up on copyright laws.
    Last edited by GhostSG; 4th March 2007 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSG View Post
    Just make sure you guys dun charge like the joker in the below thread who spoil the spore mkt. Peeps like this boy cause lots of Pros with family to support to go bust man. Just go at mkt-rate. You can seek advices from the Pros - they will work out the calculation (factors - time spent, amt of work, cost, transport, income tax, CPF etc must be considered in the long run) for you then you will know why how to charge. I am relatively new also - was taught by these old timers how to charge.

http://www.youth.sg/forum/archive/index.php/t-354.html
    If you think the pro ricebowl is threatened by such people, i think you lack some faith in your own abilities as a pro photographer. Because I certainly think that it is not under threat at all.

Looking at the post, it is clear he is just a hobbyist, and if i am a commercial client, i will be very afraid to hire this person.

And what is market-rate? My poll says 1-99 is the most common per-hour rates for wedding event coverage followed closely by 100-199. But is that an accurate reflection? Nope. It still hinges on the photographer's abilities no? If your works are of a poor quality, then what right do you have to charge at "market rate". Just because one wields pro equipment and is doing this full-time does not automatically give the right to charge a certain amount.

At every price bracket a consumer is at, there will surely be a willing producer. The converse holds true too. At every price level a producer is willing to sell, there are surely consumers! Even if it is at exhorbitant prices.
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 5th March 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    If you think the pro ricebowl is threatened by such people, i think you lack some faith in your own abilities as a pro photographer. Because I certainly think that it is not under threat at all.

Looking at the post, it is clear he is just a hobbyist, and if i am a commercial client, i will be very afraid to hire this person.

And what is market-rate? My poll says 1-99 is the most common per-hour rates for wedding event coverage followed closely by 100-199. But is that an accurate reflection? Nope. It still hinges on the photographer's abilities no? If your works are of a poor quality, then what right do you have to charge at "market rate". Just because one wields pro equipment and is doing this full-time does not automatically give the right to charge a certain amount.

At every price bracket a consumer is at, there will surely be a willing producer. The converse holds true too. At every price level a producer is willing to sell, there are surely consumers! Even if it is at exhorbitant prices.
    Furthermore this guy seems to want to talk gear more than portfolio. If I was a potential client, and I knew something about photography I wouldn't hire him. He's hoping to cover the event with what, ONE superzoom? C'mon man.