Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Recommend good ball head

  1. #21

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    Hi Deadpixel....

    I'm still considering between the SHarpa PRO CF640(John 3:16) or the Mamiya AY702.. So far, I'm leaning towards the Mamiya tripod, but no idea about the head yet.... $500 seems quite a lot for me on the head...
    I've got the Sharpa Pro CF640 and am very happy with it. I usually avoid tripods with 4-section legs because they tend to be less stable but I must say that this one is really, really stable and since the leges get reduced to 4 sections , it collespes down to a pretty small package.

    One thing that often irritates me about tripods/monopods with twist-nut tightening mechanisms is that the legs tend to rotate as you twist the nut, making it hard for you to properly tighten the legs. Velbon has overcome this so that you do not face this issue when tightening the nuts.

    As for the head, you'll have to consider whether this would be the only head you're getting or if you'll see yourself upgrading to heavier equipment and better heads in the future. If you have plans to upgrade, you'd be better off biting the bullet and getting a good head right off.

    _

  2. #22

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    I have the Markins M10 for over a year now, very good indeed. I bought it used from a close friend and it is still working properly. My friend change to the china made Kangrinpoche, forget which one but also quite good. Try at the shops first before buying as this type of ball head is not cheap.

    If you are looking for a arca-swiss type quick-release plate, cheap & good one i'm selling at Buy & sell.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=251685

  3. #23

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    I got the Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-55PCL.
    It comes with a panning head. Very smooth, and very stable.

    Camera
    Wallet

  4. #24

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I got the Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-55PCL.
    It comes with a panning head. Very smooth, and very stable.

    Camera
    Wallet
    They should put it as "Really Expensive Stuff" right !

    Anyway a very good head.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    You forgot to mention one v. important thing: what is your budget like? Giottos is a nono for me too. Real life experience: I had a friend who bought one (can't rem. which model), while he was carrying his setup around (300D + 70-400 f4L + 550ex on monopod), the screw holding the plate to the base of the camera somehow loosened and the whole rig fell to the ground, lucikly the flash + lens got away, cam body got the worse impact, whole hotshoe torn off but luckily repairs costed less than $100. We found out the screw thread for the screw on the lens plate was not tight enough.

    A good ball head would be an Arca Swiss style ballhead, which accepts dovetail style lens plates. Currently the good ones in the market are Markins M10/Q3 (made in S. Korea, my personal recommendation), KanRinPoche (China made Arca Swiss clone), Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. Benro also offers Arcas Swiss style ballheads but I am not sure of how its performance like.

    If you dun foresee using heavy big lens (i.e. bigger than 70-200mm f2.8), the Markins Emile Q3 is excellent. Should be costing around $480 from John 3:16. TK Foto Technic also carries them. Call them to check for availability. KanRinPoche is carried by Cathay Photo.

    Good ballheads are not cheap, but why compromise your gear if you go for the cheaper stuff? My friend mentioned in the incident above found out the hard way. In the end he ditched the Giottos and went for a Markins M10.
    This is a very good summary of ballheads. The nikonians website recommends Markins brand ballheads. Problem is these ballheads come at a price ($620 for the Markins M10 at Eastgear currently) although not as expensive as the Arca Swiss. If money is no object, as stated by people here, it still makes sense to get a premium ballhead if you are going to put heavy (and expensive) equipment. Also, low quality ballheads will not give you the stability that you need especially when shooting with lens above 200mm. The usual reason for buying a tripod and ballhead is to be able to take stable, sharp shots. If your ballhead will not allow you to have a stable platform then what's the use?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    The manfrotto 486 and 488 ballheads slip quite badly with longer lenses(even 70-200s) and if your budget isn't tight, I'd recommend you go for the markins/arca swiss/acratech ones that the others have mentioned as you'd likely be using much larger stuff for birding.

    Anyway, the ballhead is a mere minute fraction of the price you'd pay for a typical birding lens. Invest in a good one.

    I only do landscape and not birding but the manfrotto gets annoying at times too because of ballhead creep and hence I plan to switch to a better ballhead myself.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    i will recommend the 488RC2. has pan function. which will be better if you are using on a tripod as compared to the 486RC2.

    just got myself the 488RC2 yesterday

  8. #28

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    The manfrotto 486 and 488 ballheads slip quite badly with longer lenses(even 70-200s) and if your budget isn't tight, I'd recommend you go for the markins/arca swiss/acratech ones that the others have mentioned as you'd likely be using much larger stuff for birding.

    Anyway, the ballhead is a mere minute fraction of the price you'd pay for a typical birding lens. Invest in a good one.

    I only do landscape and not birding but the manfrotto gets annoying at times too because of ballhead creep and hence I plan to switch to a better ballhead myself.
    will a panhead better or cost effective as compared to ballhead at aro the same price reange?

  9. #29

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdam View Post
    will a panhead better or cost effective as compared to ballhead at aro the same price reange?
    panhead or ballhead, it is really a matter of personal preference...I know someone who bought a big Kangrinpoche for his heavy setup, good head as it is, but after a while went back to using a panhead because prefer it...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Hey guys... Quite tempted on the Markins Q3... But still confused whether it can hold my 100-400 for long usage.. website states 70-200......

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    Hey guys... Quite tempted on the Markins Q3... But still confused whether it can hold my 100-400 for long usage.. website states 70-200......
    If you are still unsure but really want complete assurance for your gears, why not just get the Markins M10? Quite a no. of bird shooters I know are using this particular ballhead. It also works particularly well with the Wimberley Sidekick which effectively converts it into a gimbal style mount, a pricy combo but amazingly rock solid, especially with long lenses. Go for this route if you feel sure you might upgrade your gears in time to come. The ballhead alone will definitely hold your 100-400 + xxD(?) body + flash fine.

    Note: for long distance nature photography (birds etc.), the key to pin sharp images is not IS, but good solid support. Both ballhead and tripod play an equally important part in this. Personally speaking, do not stinge on both. I myself have invested more than 1k in support but yes, I feel every cent spent is worthwhile.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Recommend good ball head

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    If you are still unsure but really want complete assurance for your gears, why not just get the Markins M10? Quite a no. of bird shooters I know are using this particular ballhead. It also works particularly well with the Wimberley Sidekick which effectively converts it into a gimbal style mount, a pricy combo but amazingly rock solid, especially with long lenses. Go for this route if you feel sure you might upgrade your gears in time to come. The ballhead alone will definitely hold your 100-400 + xxD(?) body + flash fine.

    Note: for long distance nature photography (birds etc.), the key to pin sharp images is not IS, but good solid support. Both ballhead and tripod play an equally important part in this. Personally speaking, do not stinge on both. I myself have invested more than 1k in support but yes, I feel every cent spent is worthwhile.
    That's $100 more Most likely will stick with the Q3, that's specced at 30kg.. My setup will be less than 6kg, and I hope should be OK... Any comments???

    Any good tripod to recommed??? I'm looking at the Gitzo 1540.. I believe they have it at TK photo, and it's 1.1kg, and can hold up to 8kg... Again, don't know how reliable the specs are...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •