Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting Standards for Buy/Sell

Default Re: Setting Standards for Buy/Sell

Quote Originally Posted by CoolFix View Post
    I wonder why buyers often ask such questions when there is no means of verifying most of them?
    errr.... TRUST? I still place value on another person's word, even a stranger as I believe MOST people are nice and truthful people.

So if a seller ask me anything, I will answer honestly. Things I know I will say lor. Based on your attitude, remind me not to buy anything from you next time.

hmm.. I wonder why no one mentioned:
    how many times the on/off switch has been used (that switch is crucial in operating the cam!)
    actually, if the buyer so particular, then don't buy second hand lah... they are too insecure in trading 2nd hand stuff. I think shutter count is a reasonable proxy lah.

Quote Originally Posted by henrylim View Post
    hmm.. I wonder why no one mentioned:
    how many times the on/off switch has been used (that switch is crucial in operating the cam!)
    actually, if the buyer so particular, then don't buy second hand lah... they are too insecure in trading 2nd hand stuff. I think shutter count is a reasonable proxy lah.
    Haha, even if new sets, the on/off switch and the rest of the functions are already tested in factory. Den maybe they want to know if the new set are reworked or not...haha. Never ending.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    what is wrong with that question? I would ask at least roughly how often the flash has been used, especially since Flash is a consumable. Not exactly how many times it is fired but rather its usage and how strong the flash is.
    okie.. fair enuf. but how would u know for sure?

dat fella who asked me must think i'll cut a notch on my flash every time i fire.... then, he/she/it would complain dat my flash have scratches. IMO, this question is as silly as asking how many times ur AF motor on ur lens has turned...

at the end of the day, a little common sense goes a pretty long way in Buy/Sell, dun u think?

Not to offend anyone but if you're anal enough to ask some of these questions then maybe 2nd hand goods aren't for you.

There really is no such thing as "Cheap, Good and Big ****" as the Hokkien would say

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    okie.. fair enuf. but how would u know for sure?

dat fella who asked me must think i'll cut a notch on my flash every time i fire.... then, he/she/it would complain dat my flash have scratches. IMO, this question is as silly as asking how many times ur AF motor on ur lens has turned...

at the end of the day, a little common sense goes a pretty long way in Buy/Sell, dun u think?
    I won't know for sure but no harm asking. I also look at the posting history of the seller. You can roughly gauge whether or not he is a pro, and how much he uses his equipment.

But you are right it is hard to tell, so usually I buy relatively new items, like a few months old with warranty. Anything wrong just get it repaired. If I find the copy not up to my standard, you can easily sell it off at a slight loss.

WIND30:
    So if a seller ask me anything, I will answer honestly. Things I know I will say lor. Based on your attitude, remind me not to buy anything from you next time.
    Wind30, why do you question my honesty just based on the rhetoric question I posed?
    I wasn't really expecting an answer on it, but merely pointing out that the reality of the situation is CAVEAT EMPTOR where there is no means of verifying what the seller says.

Let's not get carried away with accusations.

I started the thread becos buyers have been coming up with new ways of "discovering" the potential problems and reducing their risks. I think some are quite original, some inventive, and some outright hilarious.

It's good cos it somehow gives an idea (don't know whether its useful or not, considering there's no way to verify some or all of them), so its all back to the "word" of the seller. Like someone said, Buyers Beware.

Even for something like shutter count is not really that effective cos shutter calibration do go off due to reason of un-use/less use/no use, so regular use higher shutter count may be a good thing!

That said, I only have had my ex-Eos 1 shutter timing off; which I discovered during my Zone class when the zones came out diff from my Eos 5, and 1n. The service center used a laser contraption and mount the camera on it to test. I got it back the next day and it was as good as the rest.

So, if you know or can come up with a new idea for us buyers/sellers, upzzz this thread!

So far, all the ideas seem to provide the guide for Buyers. Is there any specifically can help the seller get a better price?

Perhaps it is more realistic to ask for verifiable details. In some instances, examples of verifiable details include:

1. Lens codes
    2. Original purchase receipts
    3. Shutter actuations (verified at service centres)
    4. Wear marks at hotshoe
    5. Mount and contact point wear
    6. Any loose parts

Unverifiable questions will at best give you a psycological assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by radedward View Post
    Not to offend anyone but if you're anal enough to ask some of these questions then maybe 2nd hand goods aren't for you.

There really is no such thing as "Cheap, Good and Big ****" as the Hokkien would say
    VERY true!
    Want to nitpick so much.... 2nd hand not so good for you.

How about personal warranty? Serves any purpose?

How about those "service warranty" where you send it in to Canon (or any other service shop) for servicing; whether cleaning, lubrication, adjustments, tests, calibration, etc. They usually give about 1 to 3 months service warranty.

Will the buyers pay more, or more than the $30 to $60 we spend for the faultless service in the first place?
    Last edited by Caspere; 15th January 2007 at 12:27 PM.

How? any buyer who would prefer a 14days personal over no warranty for $10 more?

That's funny - the concept of personal warranty. It's not as if the person can repair it for you. And at any rate, who's to say he/she won't claim that you spoilt the item to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    That's funny - the concept of personal warranty. It's not as if the person can repair it for you. And at any rate, who's to say he/she won't claim that you spoilt the item to begin with?
    thats the main problem of 2nd hand... no risk no gain...

Solution is to buy with dealer warranty only.

Unless the difference in price well covers a substantial repair bill. e.g. equipment original price - 7k, now 2nd hand without warranty only 3k. something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Just checking with you guys.. do you remember the first time in Buy/Sell people use:

A. Shutter counts (for bodies)

Nowadays, I guess I should not be surprised by people asking:

1. Flash counts (for number of POPs on flashes)
    2. Mirror flaps (since we can recondition/change shutter)
    3. Aperture actuations (on lenses, 1k is better then 20k actuations?)
    4. On-body flash pop-up (number of times the flash are used, if available)
    5. Number of SD/CF insertions/removals
    6. Number of gaferings done and removed

What other possibilities can you think of for our friends in Buy/Sell??

Come on.. let it rip...
    Is this a joke thread? I honestly think that this is a bit boh-liao. Maybe you'd want to shift this to kopitiam section.

Mostly said..CLOSED
    CS says, "We can't help you ignore yourself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12