Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Guidance needed

  1. #1

    Default Guidance needed

    I just saw a black and white photo. On the left hand, it showed lady and it was clear but on the right hand the photographer blurred the surrounding..Question is how do you get this effect?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Quote Originally Posted by tech_girl View Post
    I just saw a black and white photo. On the left hand, it showed lady and it was clear but on the right hand the photographer blurred the surrounding..Question is how do you get this effect?
    1. use wide aperture
    2. try framing so background is furtherest away from subject
    3. try moving as close to the subject as possible
    4. use the longest focal length.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    There are a couple of images in the portrait subforum that are similar to what you described. But in color.

    See Willie03's "Peiling" and tommydiver's "Vilisa -Train Station".

    ExplorerZ gave some explanations.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Wide angle closeup.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Wide angle closeup.
    That would result in quite a bit of distortion.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    1. use wide aperture
    2. try framing so background is furtherest away from subject
    3. try moving as close to the subject as possible
    4. use the longest focal length.
    applying all the above pointers,
    widest aperture at 2.8, longest focal length at 200, closest focussing distance at ~1m

    got left hand got right hands also.. both are lady hands.. met all the criteria.. except it isn't in B&W..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Gaussian Blur in PS

  8. #8

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Let me try it out...

    Ok what about if the picture is framed with the object in the middle but the surrounding in front of the object is blurred and the object is clear. Same concept as well?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Guidance needed

    Quote Originally Posted by tech_girl View Post
    Let me try it out...

    Ok what about if the picture is framed with the object in the middle but the surrounding in front of the object is blurred and the object is clear. Same concept as well?
    yes...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •